Am I correct in saying the Huey is the only aircraft type to have been flown be ALL 4 branches?

Sikorsky's Sea King family were used by the Army, Marines, Navy, and Air Force in some way shape or form(SH-3 family, Army had a couple for the Presidential detail), but I don't know if you would count the model differences. Heck, even the Coastie's used them.

I don't know. But, I am wondering if the Coasties ever tried them. I know they didn't use one in regular service or anything, but did they ever have any for admin/shore use? Just wondering. Wow, sorry, I really wasn't trying to hijack the thread. I think I will whif one of my Esci kits as a USCG bird someday..... soon.

Edited by BrittMac
Am I correct in saying the Huey is the only aircraft type to have been flown be ALL 4 branches?

Still trying to find it (USA) but I am sure the C-130 fits.

With regard to the Cobra power plant. I can see the G,J, and Z but did the T and W have the N powerplant?

Sikorsky's Sea King family were used by the Army, Marines, Navy, and Air Force in some way shape or form(SH-3 family, Army had a couple for the Presidential detail), but I don't know if you would count the model differences. Heck, even the Coastie's used them.

I don't know. But, I am wondering if the Coasties ever tried them. I know they didn't use one in regular service or anything, but did they ever have any for admin/shore use? Just wondering. Wow, sorry, I really wasn't trying to hijack the thread. I think I will whif one of my Esci kits as a USCG bird someday..... soon.

Brandon,

I was thinking of regular service and not necessarily the Presidential helos, but I guess you could count the Sea King family. However, the Huey, both H and N models, were used as Presidential helos. Other government agencies that have used Hueys that I can think of are Forest Service, NASA, Homeland Security, CIA, FBI, DEA, and NSF. I know there are probably many more, but those are the ones off the top of my head. It's hard to believe the Coast Guard never flew one, but I can't remember ever seeing any. If the USCG did ever consider the Huey, I would assume it would have been the UH-1N as they spend most of their time over water and would want the twin pack. I know Canada's CG used the 212.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash
Yep and the Armed forces uses the 412....then the NRC(nattional Research Council...our answer to the NASA flight test center) flies a UH-1H and a 412

I knew about the Canadian CG flew the 212:

C-GCHT_Canadian_Coast_Guard_-_Bell_212_(B212)_02.JPG

But the Canadian Coast Guard site doesn't mention a 412 in the inventory:

Canadian CG helo site

You have any pics of a Canadian CG 412?

Thanks,

Ray

PS: Sorry ,Dave, if I got this thread off topic, but Huey threads always seem to diverge down unexpected paths.

I knew about the Canadian CG flew the 212:

C-GCHT_Canadian_Coast_Guard_-_Bell_212_(B212)_02.JPG

But the Canadian Coast Guard site doesn't mention a 412 in the inventory:

Canadian CG helo site

You have any pics of a Canadian CG 412?

Thanks,

Ray

PS: Sorry ,Dave, if I got this thread off topic, but Huey threads always seem to diverge down unexpected paths.

Nasa also has 2 Huey IIs..but lets get back on track :whistle:

Nasa also has 2 Huey IIs..but lets get back on track :whistle:

Dave,

Gotcha, the "when is a Huey not a Huey" question kinda got me going. Sorry about that. I fear we have probably run this topic to it's conclusion with regard to US Army Hueys still in service. I would be happy to see someone surprise us with more, however.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash
Dave,

Gotcha, the "when is a Huey not a Huey" question kinda got me going. Sorry about that. I fear we have probably run this topic to it's conclusion with regard to US Army Hueys still in service. I would be happy to see someone surprise us with more, however.

Ray

I think you are right Ray. Oh well

Sean,

I can only tell you the definition of a Huey from my perspective, but to me a Huey is any variant of the Bell 204. 205, 212, 412, or 214 line and of course includes the latest upgrade, the Huey II. Also, the official name of the AH-1 is Huey-Cobra as it is a direct descendant of the short bodied Hueys, at least with regard to power plant and rotor systems. So I consider the Cobra to be part of the Huey family as well. I'm sure others will have a different take. Here's a list of the US military variants of the Huey as best as I can recall (not including the Cobra here).

Ray

XH-40- original Huey prototype

YH-40- pre-production short cabin birds (204)

UH-1A

UH-1B

UH-1C

YUH-1D- 6 prototypes of the long cabin (205)

UH-1D

UH-1E

UH-1F

UH-1H

HH-1H

HH-1K

UH-1L

TH-1L

UH-1N

HH-1N

UH-1P (armed UH-1F)

UH-1V

UH-1Y

Huey Tug- single demonstrator never officially adopted

TH-1H- newest Air Force trainer variant. Essentially a Huey II with a glass cockpit

Man, I gotta agree with Ray, ANY model Huey is a Huey and the Hueycobra is the son of the Huey. The Army icluded the Cobra in it's UH-1 numbering system until switching it around in the 80's

Sean,

You are never wasting my time when your talking Hueys! The US Air Force has flown the following models:

UH-1F

UH-1P

UH-1N

UH-1H-as trainers

TH-1H

I am pretty sure that covers all the models that ever carried an Air Force stencil.

Ray

Ray the USAF used some HH-1H's in the SAR role, saw one out of Mountain Home AFB in Boise in the late 70's

Not to get off the subject but we still have a bunch of UH-1N's here at Kirtland AFB. When they get a few cranked up in the morning it sounds like South East Asia!!! :worship:

Sounds like a nice wake up to me.

I think we already went pretty far off topic. Yup, I can shoulder the blame, because as off topics go, this one was good stuff.

ReiRei, that is a good list. When I said "Sikorsky's" had been used by all services, I was initially thinking of the H-34's. Also thought of the H-19's, but I couldn't think of them in all the Service's off the top of my head. Seeing that list helps alot, thanks.

ReiRei0,

Thanks for the list. I'd be most interested in seeing photos of each of those in markings from all 5 branches, but in another thread though. I have steered this one too far afield. Sorry again about that, Dave.

Silva963,

Thans for the photos!

Ray