East Coast Adversary Hornet vs Luftwaffe MiG-29

Howdy all,

Finished this 20x30 acrylic on masonite painting last week for VFC-12, the first print is being presented to their outgoing Skipper at a change of command party tonite. The Skipper's "AMBUSH 1" is rolling in on a JG-74 "Molders" MiG-29A over Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas some 75 miles west of Key West Naval Air Station during a 1 v 1 training hop. The Germans rolled thru town there a few years back as part of their US "Fulcrum Farewell" Tour. Any and all comments/crits welcome. You can read more on my site fox3art. (These are bigger images than I can load on my site!)

335076xxl.jpg

336581xxl.jpg

Edited by MaGooF15

Thanks guys!

Yeah I was afraid the blue camo would get "lost" in the ocean background, but it seems to "pop" enough with the details of the cockpit area and black paint on the after fuselage. It does show how it's fairly effective over water though.

Awesome job! i see what you mean about the effectivness of the camo. i think you made a wise choice by not having too much of the plane showing over the water, otherwise i think it would have gotten lost. by having at least half of it in front of the horizon, it makes it pop.

good job. when's the next? :thumbsup:

Bill

Thanks Bill, I was afraid it might get lost as well, but some of the detail from the cockpit and rear fuselage made it "pop" out a bit fortunately as you said.

Not sure what's next, i've been mulling over trying oils for some time. I think i'll kick the kids back into school and retreat to the attic to have a go at it.

Been kicking around a composition in my head showing a Battle of Britain Hurricane returning to Hawkinge in early evening by way of a "flat-hatting" of a local pub where all the pilot's squadronmates have already headed thinking he was missing in action (when in fact he diverted elsewhere with combat damage). They drunkenly spill out on the pub lawn and raise their mugs :D as our hero does multiple low passes in his battle worn Hurri while waving to the boys to show that he is indeed not dead...yet.

Thanks Ken! Hope all is well. I like your latest version of "Lethal Lady". I had no idea "TJ" was a full Colonel now, that's good to see. Great guy, a T-38 FAIP , he was in my AT-38B Fighter Lead In class at Holloman way back in spring of '89. I believe that makes me officially old. :cheers:

Thanks Ken! Hope all is well. I like your latest version of "Lethal Lady". I had no idea "TJ" was a full Colonel now, that's good to see. Great guy, a T-38 FAIP , he was in my AT-38B Fighter Lead In class at Holloman way back in spring of '89. I believe that makes me officially old. :monkeydance:

Thanks MaGoo on Lethal Lady - TJ - I wasn't aware neither - when I contacted him, he asked if I could put Colonel on the model instead of LtCol.

I think we are about the same age :lol:

• 1 year later...

Hello! Nice artwork... Me was in Key West with German mig-29 as a mig-29 engine mechanic and we had a lot of fun with the Navy Guys ... But... The mig-29 was Never flown by JG-74... The only Wing in german Luftwaffe was the JG-73 "Steinhoff"... Till we gave this awesome Bird to poland... :-(

• 2 months later...