1/48 AC-130U - back on the road.

Now Curt, thats just not fair! :)

Do the AC-130Us not get painted at Hurlburt? And do you know what aircraft it was (serial number)?

When they go through depot inspection they are stripped of all exterior paint. Depot inspection for the C-130 is done at Warner Robbins AFB.

Here is a pic of a Herk at depot.

http://media.macon.com/smedia/2009/03/05/2...ffiliate.71.jpg

And about detachable wings......

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images...ing_Work_lg.jpg

http://www.robins.af.mil/shared/media/phot...F-0000C-002.jpg

Cool beans!

I went to Kelly AFB a few times to pick up C-5's from depot and we got a tour through the facility. To see the "big jet" all apart and with no paint was a scary sight! I flew 64-14858 to Robins from Kadena to get the SOFI mod and they gave us a tour of that facility. There was a C-141B in the paint strip hanger that was bubbling like a pizza with that stripper all over it. Big chunks of paint sliding off on the floor! The herk hanger was pretty impressive...and to think I was going to pick one up after being put back together and fly it back across the Pacific!! :)

Sorry guys - my internet has been down all day due to the snow here (I know, how rubbish are we in the UK!). I'll get some done for you tomorrow.

As an aside, we had another AC-130U turn up at Mildenhall this evening RCH1017 89-0514, so I'm going to go and try to catch that departing as well.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Oops! Forgot to update this over Christmas (please forgive me!). I've done the underside paint, feathered the camoflage slightly and started decalling. Happily there is no silvering on the decals so far (touch wood!).

No photos for now, as I'm away from home until Wednesday morning, but here is one of 89-0514 at Mildenhall:

Web1.jpg

Ben

Hello again!

Heres the latest progress on the Spooky - a lot has changed!

I've effectively finished the paintwork, bar the engine nacelles (which suffered a rather severe crash into my desk and needed to be repaired - dont ask!) and a few touchups.

The electrics all still work, and I'm beginning to work out a plan of attaching this to a base.

Decals are partially complete - I had to change the 0514 serial to 0510 - not to easy when you have no spare "0" decals!

And I've started to unmask the canopy - I just couldnt resist!

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

A few closeups of the rivets on the back - as always Im using the excuse of the flash bringing up all the rough parts! Haha.

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

Props still to be painted - tomorrow I hope:

IMG_0923.jpg

Converted tail serial - from 890514 to 90510, and showing a tiny bit of silvering, nothing major so Im happy

IMG_0924.jpg

Refuelling markings - just remembered I need to add 89-0510 along the back here too!

IMG_0926.jpg

Hope you all enjoy that - it's coming together now!

Ben

Ok, another update before I go to bed! After working all morning (mmm aircraft systems and performance lectures) I spent an hour or two getting the props done up. I painted them with a mix of grey/silver for the main part, and matt black for the tips and hub. The grey/silver mix gives it a nice sheen when the props spin, maybe a bit too silverly but it looks OK to me:

NOTE: The "sheen" here looks stupidly exaggerated, because of the torch lighting the prop and the camera exposer playing around with the lighting.

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

If I have enough time/funds I might get the "Hamilton" prop transfers from Archer to add to these. I still intend to make the custom propart thingy on each 3rd blade.

Ben

Actually...after hours of cutting the air the black prop tips kinda erode away on the edge that's doing the biting. I don't know the current name but it's not Hamilton Standard anymore either. In my stash of stuff I do have a HS prop sticker and a patch!! :wub: Lookin good though!!

Well, some preliminary nightops. I said I would wait until she was finished, but it was just too tempting!

Only bad side is that the long exposures and bright torch really bring out the faults in the kit, so please try and ignore them! B)

Also makes my post shading light greys along the panel lines stand out far more than they do, I might have to try and dull them down a bit.

Spooky1.jpg

Spooky3.jpg

Spooky2.jpg

Ben

Looks like that's it till March guys - I dont think I am taking it back to University with me. Don't want to risk the thing breaking.

In the meanwhile, I'll be starting my Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk.IX, and Academy F-22A.

Back soon!

Ben

• 7 months later...

Hello all - I'm back!

As I said last time, I would be working on my Tamiya Spit and Academy Raptor. The Raptor is done, and the Spit is progressing so I thought it was time to pull this back out onto the table.

I've spent the day today measuring up the baseboard for drilling, and soldering all the wiring for the props. Tomorrow I'm going to go and get some dimmer switches so I can control the speed of the props, and some high power LEDs as well.

I've also been doing some of the detailing on the underside, which has remained rather sparce until now.

I think I've managed to remotivate myself, so it shouldn't be too long until this is finished (I hope!).

Ben

• 2 months later...

This thread inspired me to dig out my 5 or 6 year old Italieri 1/48 Spooky kit and get to building it myself -- I'm officially out of my 15 or so year retirement LOL!

So I have a question -- I can't find a single mention of the Scanners / Spotting sights used on the AC-130U. The right side door is supposed to be cut open and I did find one shot (thats right -- ONE in all of the internets) of an AC-130U on the ground with the door open, but the angle of the shot prevents me from seeing if anything is installed in that door.

Airliners - Right Spotter Door

• 3 weeks later...

As you can probably tell, my progress wasn't very,...err.....fruitful.

I'm now back from Uni for Xmas again, and really do intend to finish the thing this time!

Only trouble is I'm half way through another 1/48 B-1B for a competition - doh!

We'll see how it goes!