Here's a quick overview of the category winners and Best of Show. My apologies if I may have gotten some of the names wrong, but they've earned their moment!

First the stats:

1,015 registrants

2,525 models

Best aircraft: Avro Lancaster, Andrzej Ziober (from Poland!)

Best armor: Bison II, Harvey Lowe

Best automotive: Fire jeep, Janet Hine

Best ship: USS Truman, Kelly Quirk

Best figure: Queen Elizabeth bust, Michael Hula

Best sci fi: Prote, Rick Carlson

Best : Lincoln Memorial shadow box, David Brown

Best Misc: First jets, Ben Guinther

Most popular: USS Truman, Kelly Quirk

Best of show: USS Truman, Kelly Quirk

Chapter of the year: IPMS Georgia Mountain Modelers

Best comedy act: TJ's (chairman)opening remarks at the awards banquet.

Edited by thegoodsgt
How did the presentation look?

Pretty good, especially considering the lighting in the contest room. Unfortunately, the slide show was shown on four big-screen TVs at the front of the room, two of which were too low to see unless you were up front. It was also the smallest banquet room I've ever seen at a Nats..probably half the size of the usual ballroom.

Still, all-in-all Mandie and I had a great time. She took a Premiere Award for her SR-71 eggplane, and I took second in Miscellaneous for my Zero eggplane. Tomorrow we're planning to spend the day at the Air Force Museum on the way home.

SN

Still, all-in-all Mandie and I had a great time. She took a Premiere Award for her SR-71 eggplane, and I took second in Miscellaneous for my Zero eggplane. Tomorrow we're planning to spend the day at the Air Force Museum on the way home.

SN

I saw them both- well done! Pass my congrats on to Mandie.

Pretty good, especially considering the lighting in the contest room. Unfortunately, the slide show was shown on four big-screen TVs at the front of the room, two of which were too low to see unless you were up front. It was also the smallest banquet room I've ever seen at a Nats..probably half the size of the usual ballroom.

SN

Yeah, that lighting sucked, and my brand new flash gun kept shooting 1/2 stop dark and of course I left all the manuals at home for both it and the camera.

Don't mention egg planes...I got the Fw.190 at the end from HLJ for $5.00...only decent deal I gt from them all week.

Don't have any pic, since it was a shadowbox it was hard to shoot the inside (at least with the lens I had with me)

"Best : Lincoln Memorial shadow box, David Brown"

I see, I guess he left out the word "Diorama". :worship:

Don't have any pic, since it was a shadowbox it was hard to shoot the inside (at least with the lens I had with me)

Here you go:

IMG_0570.jpg

I have the good fortune to count Dave amongst my good friends, and he is as much of a nice a guy as he is a good modeler (does that make any sense?). It's great being able to turn to one of the best there is for modeling advice!

Cheers,

Tony

Here you go:

IMG_0570.jpg

I have the good fortune to count Dave amongst my good friends, and he is as much of a nice a guy as he is a good modeler (does that make any sense?). It's great being able to turn to one of the best there is for modeling advice!

Cheers,

Tony

Wow, now that is incredible work. I would love to see more work of the gentleman who did this.

It's just way to cool.

Wow, now that is incredible work. I would love to see more work of the gentleman who did this.

It's just way to cool.

Dave comes up with some very imaginative ideas, and then executes them beautifully:

IMG_2963-1.jpg

Here you go:

IMG_0570.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Unbelievable would be an insult. About what scale is the sculpture in the dio?
Unbelievable would be an insult. About what scale is the sculpture in the dio?

The snoozing sculptor is 54mm (i.e. 1/32 scale). I'm not sure of the exact scale of the Lincoln bust.