Check your new/reissue 1/48 Do217E-4 clear sprue

Can't you contact them to ask them for a spare part??

Oh, I'm not worried about replacement parts, I ordered the replacement part right away. And I'm very confident that I will get the part.

In fact, I have never had a problem with replacements for any kit manufacturer, except for one Tamiya kit.

I clearly stated that this was for the modeler that put the kit in the stash without looking. This could be bad if, two years from now when the kit gets opened, and Revell doesn't have any spare parts laying around anymore.

I was just trying to help out the other guy.

I too noticed this piece to be slightly frosted when I received my copy of the kit several months ago but seemed to clear up just fine after a bath in Future.

Greg

I know that some of you buy a kit and then stick it in the stash, and it may be that I'm the only one with a bad part, but . . . check part 209, the clear nose piece. Mine is frosted really bad and polishing and Future are no help - it is IN the plastic.

Thanks for the heads up, I have a few (5!) in the mail for my birthday.  I'll be sure to check 'em out.

Cheers,

Alex

What manufacture, what kit number?

It's the R/M DO-217E-4 kit. Kit# 85-5526. I just checked mine after opening it for the first time and the nose is a little frosted. I can still see through it, but it is noticeable. Everything else on the clear sprue was crystal clear except for that one part.

Mine too...PLUS i only have half the directions!!! Half of the instruction booklet is BLANK!!

If you want me to scan the instructions for you, just say the word.

As for a Future bath . . . . I polished it with a plastic polish, and then double-dipped it. It came out about 90% the clarity of the rest of the parts before they were dipped in any Future. I think for my own shelf, that will be good enough. I ordered the part anyway - so we'll see how it looks. If there is no difference, then I guess I will have a spare to send to someone else who may really need it down the road. We'll see.

Well, good news, bad news.

Good news first:

Kudos to Revell!!! I received my replacement part during the same week I ordered it Wow! Ordered on Monday, and in my mailbox on Friday!

Bad news:

The part is exactly the same. Same amount of frost in the same locations.

Something must be wrong with their molding process - plastic must be the wrong temperature going into the mold or something, because the parts looked fine in the original Promodeler issue, as seen in Swanny's review:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/images/Do217E/clear.jpg

Oh well. I was able to get the part 90% fixed with polishing and Future. Now I have a spare to offer up just in case someone needs one.

Five Do217s?? I can't begin to imagine buying five of anything, much less the Do217!

:cheers:

J

I plan to convert them into a bunch of different variants using Bill Koster's excellent vacuform sets.  An E-2, An E-4, a J-1, a J-2, and a K-1.  One of the J's will be in italian colors. Should be a lot of fun...I'm a sucker for 1/48 twin props.  If all of these pieces are messed up, has any one contacted Revell to let them know, other than just ordering replacements? They've fixed QC issues before once its been brought to there attention.

Cheers,

Alex

Edited by Cardshark_14