F-15 early bird paint scheme

I'm now trying for the most colorful F-15A in air superiority blue that I can find. In a Squadron F-15 Eagle In Action, I found a color artist profile of such a plane with red and white ACM stripes, serial 73-103 on the tail in white letters. The same book shows a photo of the same plane with black tail codes in a black and white photo. It looked like an embarrassing error on the editor's part at least. Then I saw a black and white photo of 103 with white tail codes in Aerofax Minigraph 2 and a color photo of 103 with white tail codes in Detail and Scale F-15 Colors and Markings. That color photo, though, clearly shows the plane in the ghost scheme, not blue. It seems odd enough to me that the same plane in roughly the same time period would wear both black and white tail codes. It would be more odd if the same plane wore blue and ghost paint schemes. Oh, just to make it more fun, in 2 photos and the 1 color plate of 103 with ACM stripes, the squadron stripe on top of the tail is different in all three. In the color photo, it's a green stripe with white stars or dots. In the color profile, it's a yellow stripe with some odd dark "L" shaped turned sideways. In the black and white photo (under magnification), it appears to show a dark background with several light arrows, and, unlike the other 2 stripes, this one stops where the trailing edge antenna bumps start. I'd sure love to do that A in blue paint with red and white stripes. Can anyone illuminate?

I have a couple of color pics of 73-103 (sorry they're not mine, so I can't post them) showing it with two of the variants on the tail bands (green and yellow) you mentioned above. It has white tail codes and the red/white stripes in both and is painted in the Compass Ghost Gray scheme.

Regards,

Murph

Microscale also did an Air Superiority Blue decal set about a thousand years ago, but it might be extraordinarily difficult to find a copy.

Equally ancient, the old Aero Series #28 has a photo of 103 and its candy-stripes in color, with the black/yellow tail stripe configuration, and white codes. At first glance, the color in the photo looks blue-ish, but on closer inspection, the two-tone scheme is apparent, suggesting that the airplane is wearing the compass grays finish, and the "blue" in the photo is a matter of lighting.

Thanks for the info, Murph. Darn shame. Blue with stripes would have been very spiffy. Fish, you would be talking about Super Scale 48-41, which at least claims to have markings for 10 planes: Streak Eagle, 1 TF-15A in air superiority blue, which can be done in black and white ACM stripes, and the rest are ghost gray schemes with FF, BT, WA, and LA tail codes in black or white. Wish I had a TF kit and more time. My priority is the F-15A that's on the table now.

Edited by Space Tiger Hobbes
Very cool. Thanks. Mainly, I'm debating the addition of the ACM stripes to a blue paint scheme when all I have sofar is a color profile in a book without a confirming photo.

Are you looking to do that exact aircraft, and wanting,superiority blue bird and the candy cane ACM stripes? Or just, like the colors of the stripes and want them on a air superiority blue bird?

What you are seeing with the tail bands, is different squadrons and or wings and possibly as a commander bird. For an actual Single seater, like 103, I am not sure if it was ever in superiority blue. I would have to research it to refresh my brain, but my brain wants to tell me, it wasn't.

Thanks for the info, Murph. Darn shame. Blue with stripes would have been very spiffy. Fish, you would be talking about Super Scale 48-41, which at least claims to have markings for 10 planes: Streak Eagle, 1 TF-15A in air superiority blue, which can be done in black and white ACM stripes, and the rest are ghost gray schemes with FF, BT, WA, and LA tail codes in black or white. Wish I had a TF kit and more time. My priority is the F-15A that's on the table now.

The one with Black and White stripes might be the most colorful eagle in Superiority Blue even tho it is a 2 seater. Bird should be the 12th AF commanders Bird, 73-0112.

Will have to keep my eye out for them Decals my self.

Anyone recall the Decals that had the Streak Eagle in 1/32nd?

Here this is how I recall the bird "73-0103" being.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/M...6ecc2fc2f7a69c5

Like mentioned in the remarks, around 1976-77 it went to the 461st, 461st was activated in summer of 1977. So the pictures you described, with the Black tail codes and I believe tail bands that look similar to pin stripes Pinstripes are when the 461st had the bird. Making it a later date then this picture.

I still want to say the Bird was never in Superiority Blue, I don't think 100 was either, for the single seaters.

Edited by Wayne S
...Wish I had a TF kit and more time.

For future possibility: my understanding--and anyone here who knows better, correct me if I'm wrong--is that Academy has sold for years an F-15E kit that is actually a "D" masquerading as the fighter-bomber. My plan is to build the TF-15A out of this kit, using the old source named above to make the necessary backdates, and to swap out the ACES seats for ESCAPAC models. The Academy kit, if you don't mind its appearance, has other advantages, including some useable ordinance as well as, oddly enough, an ASAT missile, useful for Twobob's upcoming sheet.

my understanding--and anyone here who knows better, correct me if I'm wrong--is that Academy has sold for years an F-15E kit that is actually a "D" masquerading as the fighter-bomber.

Apart from RoG's 1/48 beauty, *all* "F-15E" kits in all scales are just your basic F-15D's with various extra bits added instead of true Strike Eagles.

CHeers,

Andre

All (single seat) F-15As beginning with 73-100 were Ghost Gray from the factory. I don't remember off the top of my head when the TF-15As (F-15Bs) started being Ghost Gray for sure, but it MAY have been 73-139. In addition to 73-112, the Wing King's jet, TF-15A 73-111 (aka, the Peacock") was blue and had a cool tail, but unfortunately no invasion stripes.

Great shot, Wayne. I hadn't seen it that large before. If nothing else, the pattern says it's the ghost scheme. I'm not trying for a specific plane, just blue with ACM stripes. That looks like a no-go. If I had a lot more time to build, I'd do my current 15 in this ghost gray/stripes scheme and then the Hasegawa E as a D in blue/stripes. I don't have the time to stay locked in one era. Plus, I've got someone's Eagle adversary decals for the D in blue/blue or tan/brown. Handy info, Mrvark. Now I know what my tail code options are if I want to do a blue early A. I dont' recall seeing a good picture of a single seat A in blue where I could read the serial. Is there somewhere on the web that has a list of all 15 tail codes with descriptions/disposition? I seem to recall such but can't find it now.

Edited by Space Tiger Hobbes
All (single seat) F-15As beginning with 73-100 were Ghost Gray from the factory. I don't remember off the top of my head when the TF-15As (F-15Bs) started being Ghost Gray for sure, but it MAY have been 73-139. In addition to 73-112, the Wing King's jet, TF-15A 73-111 (aka, the Peacock") was blue and had a cool tail, but unfortunately no invasion stripes.

Last TF-15A for FY 73 was 0114. 0139 would be a FY 74 bird.

Great shot, Wayne. I hadn't seen it that large before. If nothing else, the pattern says it's the ghost scheme. I'm not trying for a specific plane, just blue with ACM stripes. That looks like a no-go. If I had a lot more time to build, I'd do my current 15 in this ghost gray/stripes scheme and then the Hasegawa E as a D in blue/stripes. I don't have the time to stay locked in one era. Plus, I've got someone's Eagle adversary decals for the D in blue/blue or tan/brown. Handy info, Mrvark. Now I know what my tail code options are if I want to do a blue early A. I dont' recall seeing a good picture of a single seat A in blue where I could read the serial. Is there somewhere on the web that has a list of all 15 tail codes with descriptions/disposition? I seem to recall such but can't find it now.

The early Birds and even the Squadrons/ Wings are pretty confusing to follow, If you find the early single seater birds in Superiority Blue, they possibly have the checkered tail band and wing badge of the 57th.

Well, at least we've determined it's Steve's fault for not getting his plane painted in air superiority blue. Thanks for the help, gents. I guess it's ghost/red strips or blue/no stripes for my A, depending on how I feel at the moment.

That or the yellow bands like the older F-86 had on 100. The stripes on 103, if you look at it, are not a red red either. They are similar to International Orange.

What scale are you working in?

I'm working in 1/48. Orange? Any documentation on that or a pic that shows it better?

Compare the insigna red bar in my photo (link posted above) with the orange bands. Trust me, I was there, I took the photos and the bands were orange.

Thanks, Jim. Hey if it was your photo you should know. The star/bar is a bit darker. There's some equipment in the pit that's red also.

It is the same color used on the test aircraft and the Arctic schemes, should be International Orange. If my memory serves me right, testors fs12197 always seamed to be way to Orange almost like a Safety Orange. I am not to sure if they change it or not tho. Last time I used the Testors it was to orange but that was a few years ago.

Did you set anything in stone for what you are going to do yet?

Edit; See if this kinda helps, depending on what colors look like on your comp.

It is not this "Safety Orange"

http://www.airliners.net/photo/EasyJet-Air...b0a7bb16459d2dc

It is this " International Orange "

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Coast...dian/1051234/L/

Definitely not this or anything close to being " Insignia red ".

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/L...8ac02c00f612d3d

Can you make out the difference in the colors? then look back at this, and take a good look at the reds in the surroundings. Like mentioned, the Insignia is a red like on the T-Birds nose, look how ruby redish that is and the tank under the wing. Even the intake cover is noticeably darker.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/M...-15A/1224907/L/

Edited by Wayne S