Marcel,

PM sent! The centerline will come from the F4-J kit. Stay tuned for the rockeyes!

Rocky

I just ordered the CAM Rockeyes from HLJ, it's the only place where I could still find them. I also have a truck load of Rockeyes from the F-15E kit but they are not that detailed.

Lucky you on the centerline tank :jaw-dropping:

Marcel

• 3 months later...
A small update today. Sorry for the pics, the wife took off with my camera!

DSC02416.jpg

DSC02419.jpg

Thanks for looking in and I will update this later in the week. Maybe some ordinance next time?

Rocky

Those aren't handles; there are no handles on the canopies. They are very heavy and thick knives for cutting your way out through the plexiglas if the canopies won't jettison. Jake's photos of the knives aren't all that clear. Here's a better photo I took of one:

canopyknifeScottRWilson.jpg

And I have to say the FOD covers for the intakes look a bit undersized from your photos, they should not recess inside the duct. The edge of the cover fits around the lip of the intake. They were made of red plastic, by the way.

Scott Wilson

Hello Rocky,

I missed this thread for a while as I was frazzled elsewhere..

anyway.....

the build is looking absolutely FANTASTIC.......your thread never gets too techie....

The IP looks AMAZING and I love the FB popping up everywhere{ are you sure that this is the FB that you will need later... :lol: }.

I LOVE your figure painting too, especially the MAJOR etc ....and LAWRENCE of ARABIA is SUPERB.......I giggled though when I looked

at his nose area and thought that the white bit under his nostril was a snot !!! :) }

NAPOLEAN looks STUNNING...{ I always wanted to know what he had hidden under that jacket as he always fiddled there !!! :thumbsup: }

All in ALL.. this MONSTER is becoming a BEAUTY !!!

HOLMES :)

Rocky, this build is looking really inspiring! Your pit work is fantastic and it's good to see Chico taking shape.

Cheers,

Marcel

Marcel,

Many thanks! I believe that I can paint, but it is important to have a nice canvas first. The cockpit is beyond words and this kit craves it. Tamiya's fit and finish is perfect, but the AM resin available puts this kit at the forefront. Maybe thats why I have two more on the shelf!

Rocky

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Rocky nice seeing you getting back to this beast. Cant wait for your next update!
This is realy great build, mate :worship: I´m realy waiting for more!
In a word..... Inspirational !

Ian

Many thanks for the kind words, they are greatly appreciated.

A small update although it took me many hours and a hell of alot of frustration to get to this point. The BB pit is beautiful but the engineering is lacking. I have never started and restarted one phase of a kit like I have this pit fitting. This is nothing like the Aires pit.

In any event, I can see the finish line and I am ready to get back to prop building! I will let the pics talk and summarize my thoughts at the end of this post.

DSC02840copy.jpg

DSC02841copy.jpg

DSC028431copy.jpg

DSC02846copy.jpg

DSC02848copy.jpg

Just for grins I pulled out the F4-J kit and screwed in the Aires pit and checked for fit with the lower wing assembly. It fits almost perfectly. I have only used BB for the Hase P-47 and it was great. I have one for the Trumpy Avenger but I cannot comment on that one yet. The detail is outstanding regarding the F4-E but the fit and the fitting process has been a nightmare. Once again, it could be me and my lack of skills. Having said all of the above, I was warned!

Press On, Rocky

Now for the next dilemma before I can move on and I need some help! :crying2:

DSC02850copy.jpg

DSC02852copy.jpg

DSC02853copy.jpg

DSC02854copy.jpg

DSC02857copy.jpg

DSC02858copy.jpg

The angle is hard to tell in the last two pics but there is a little downward tilt, which looks like some of the pics I have. Like I stated, I need some help here so I can move forward. Once this step is completed I will be spraying the paint! Chime in guys :bandhead2:

Rocky

To make sure the wingroot gap is as small as possible, you can glue some sprues inside the fuselage to stretch its width just enough to eliminate the gaps. For the wing angle, try applying a couple drops of CA glue in the wing-fuselage joint to temporarily hold it in place, then run Tamiya extra thin cement to the rest of the joint. Using your hands, apply pressure until the the glue is set.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Terry

Looks like good progres :D Keep working.

Many thanks Mareku!

Hey Rocky!

Just beautiful work! Love the figures too-They are outstanding!

Pig

Pig, many thanks for the kudos and the iapp!

He is under house arrest agian! He cannot accomplish the simplests of tasks and I have sent word to London to bring him to the tower...off with his head! The MAJOR

DSC02877copy.jpg

DSC02880Maj.jpg

DSC02882copy.jpg

Hey guy's don't worry about me. The Major is just upset about "the Lady." He did not mention that I bought him a wooden base while he was away.

As noted in the pic, the pre shading is very light. This was done on purpose. The pre shading on top was done in flat black and in a very different way. I hope it works! Pictures of the camo tomorrow.

Von Rock