So Im looking for a good SU-27.......I want to build a belarus SU-27 which are the SU-27S.

Also, does anyone have any information on the paint colors that be;arus uses to paint their flankers? Any FS numbers would be great....especially if they (or close matches) can be found in the model master spray paint cans....(dont have an airbrush)

And if 1/72 is your game, the new ICM kit is the best of the lot. The Airfix and Italeri kits aren't too bad, although they don't capture the fuselage shape as well in my opinion. The Hasegawa kit is halfway decent, but the nose and tail are a little funky. I guess it really depends on whether cost, availability or accuracy is your primary concern in this case.

Whoops forgot to mention it will be 1/72!!

Yeah I like italeri and ICM.......ill have to choose....

If those are your options, forget Italeri. Don't even consider it.

At the moment the ICM kit is the way to go.

You could always check out my Flanker Model Survey - it is reasonably up to date.

The ICM kit is a rework of the Airfix kit - but I'm not convinced that it is a quantative leap forward.

But, given that the Airfix kit is no longer available, the ICM one will have to do.

BTW, I just picked up the new NeOmega cockpit set and radome for the ICM Su-27 in Moscow ....... :)

Ken

Hi,

How are these ICM kits? I only ask since I remember when their non-aircraft models came out and they were apparently decent (local hobby shop had quite a few). However, I believe I have the MiG-29S Fulcrum-C by ICM in a KP/Kopro box and it was quite rough, though I believe this was probably due to the Kopro moulding work. Anyway, their MiG-25 is a significant improvement on the Hasegawa so I hope they have done the same with the Airfix Su-27.

Edited by BibbyUK
the best Su-27 in 1/72 is Revell/Hasegawa kit, but it does not produce more - and can not be bought

That is not true. Both are quite easily found and bought. Hasegawa started from January or so to box it again with different decals.

the best Su-27 in 1/72 is Revell/Hasegawa kit, but it does not produce more - and can not be bought

The Hasegawa/Revell Su-27 is the best kit - but not the best model.

It is inaccurate around the nose and the rear end is too wide.

survey_21.jpg

survey_22.jpg

It all depends what you want - crisp, clean moulding, good fit of parts, excellent engraved detail - but doesn't look like a Flanker, or - poor moulding, awful fit, reasonable engraved detail, but looks just like a real Flanker.

If the former, go with the Hasegawa/Revell kit, if the latter, go with Airfix/ICM.

Just my humble opinion from years of making the thing......

flank_01.jpg

Ken

Just go for ICM in 1/72.

The small parts are new tooled and much better than Hasegawa ones.

While the main parts are borrowed from Airfix but updated with nice looking windshield/canopy parts.

The OOB effect will be the best in 1/72 at this moment.

Forget the Hasegawa thing...

HTH,

Yufei

That is not true. Both are quite easily found and bought. Hasegawa started from January or so to box it again with different decals.

Also, RoG reboxed the Hasegawa kit a few years ago (with a new plastic sprue replacing the metal parts), so at least in Europe it's easily found.

HTH,

Andre

Also, RoG reboxed the Hasegawa kit a few years ago (with a new plastic sprue replacing the metal parts), so at least in Europe it's easily found.

HTH,

Andre

Since he mentioned Revell and i said "both", i meant Revell and Hasegawa. ;)

Personally i can live with Hasegawas nose, but damn, each time i look at that engine area, i am reminded why i dont have the kit in the stash.

True. The nose can be corrected but it would be much harder to correct the rear end. Which is a BIG shame.

Would ICM be doing a UB version also?

Or is the Heller version still the best to do a UB varient?

In 1/72, Heller is pretty much the only game in town for a UB version. It is farely hard to get hold of, costing a pretty penny on eBay typically. Not sure if ICM will be releasing a UB version. Zvezda does a couple of the Su-30 two seat Flanker variants as well.

Alang3r (strange that the company's name is filtered - had to replace the e with a 3) has re-boxed the Airfix single- and Heller two-seat variants, though they're not very easy to come by in the west. I had to trade for the pair of spam spam spam Su-30s in my collection.

Edited by MiG31
Alang3r (strange that the company's name is filtered - had to replace the e with a 3) has re-boxed the Airfix single- and Heller two-seat variants, though they're not very easy to come by in the west. I had to trade for the pair of spam spam spam Su-30s in my collection.
Next to impossible to get those here in the USA. I work at a hobby shop and NONE of our distributors have had any luck getting their hands on them. We have had some luck with their sub kits though, I got me a Delta IV and an Akula in 1/350.
Next to impossible to get those here in the USA. I work at a hobby shop and NONE of our distributors have had any luck getting their hands on them. We have had some luck with their sub kits though, I got me a Delta IV and an Akula in 1/350.

Anywhere really. Alang3r is dead IIRC.