Jake's new title,The Modern Phantom Guide...

I picked up my copy of "The Modern Phantom Guide-The F-4 Phantom Exposed" from the post office yesterday after work ,authored by Jake "Kodak" Melampy,the book is nothing short of Phantom heaven for us Phantom lovers,227 pages of amazing pics and captions.

65+ pages of nothing but cockpit shots of the various USAF models of the Phantom,something I've never seen in any other publication to date regarding the Phantom,the book covers everything imaginable,from the pitot tube to the drag chute housing,Jake covered it all.Explanations of the various systems and photo's are clear and concise and in a way the average Joe can understand,or a former F-4 crew chief that has "Phantom bit" one too many times. :cop:

The cockpit sections has to be seen to be believed,Jake covers the RF/F-4C,D,E,F,G and not to mention the various upgrades made to both the domestic variants and the export variants,and as a surprise to me,he also shows photo's of the QF-4's and the mods made to the airframe..awesome!

Looking through the book takes me back to the four plus years I crewed the F-4,with each turn of the page,I can almost smell hydraulic fluid and JP-4 oozing from the pages.Man,does the book bring back memories...and a few nightmares as well! :worship:

Helping Jake with this volume is like a who's who of Phanomology PhD's,Bill Spidle,Don Logan,Gary Chambers(everyone's favorite ANG F-4 WSO!)Bill Peake,Jim Rotramel,not to mention a host of pilot's,WSO's,crew chiefs,and Phantom photographers from around the world(big thumbs up to "Scout" and Kostas for the GAF and HAF Phantom pics!)that helped make this title possible for Jake.Gentlemen,take a bow for your help!

I give this book a BIG thumbs up and a must have for anyone who has an interest and/or love for the F-4,I'm REALLY looking forward to a future USN/USMC volume even though I mainly build and am interested in USAF subjects!

Well, that's some pretty high praise, Dave. I sure appreciate it! I'd imagine flipping through the pages brings back some great memories for you. I wish I could have been out with you when you had the F-4s.

Doug, it was great to meet you last week. Please let me know if I can help out in any way with your projects!

jake

Wow. Just. Wow. Book came in the mail today. I'd think, that other than actual military manuals, that this is the definitive Phantom detail book. And with full color pictures, its in many ways better than manuals. Wish I could have had you sign it!

Awesome piece of work Jake.

Rick L.

I'm with you guys on this one!! A truly great reference book. My only issue, is It broke my table when I was checking it out. One heavy book.....

:rofl:

Great work Jake!!

Chris

Edited by Eagle1
Doug, it was great to meet you last week. Please let me know if I can help out in any way with your projects!

Thanks Jake. It was great meeting you too. I appreciate the offer, and I will probably take you up on it soon :D

This is really a great book though. It makes it really hard to draw the line of where to stop detailing....

Cheers,

-Doug :D

Wish I could have had you sign it!

Would have been happy to, Rick. I didn't realize you wanted me to.

My only issue, is It broke my table when I was checking it out. One heavy book..

:thumbsup:

Try lugging them to the post office and UPS! You should hear the things the post office workers have to say about them. :pray:

Guys, thanks for the kudos! I'm really pleased the book has been received so well. I sure appreciate it.

Jake

Hello,

this book is one of the most detailed reference guides I own now!!! And I'm looking forward the next releases!

But it's a pity that every book I got from Jake has at least two or three damaged corners.

Anyway, the pics and the information inside is still the same ;-)!

Without any doubt I would pay a couple of bucks more for a bigger package with more space between the book and the outer edge of the package.

Best regards,

Jens