Academy detail problems

Hi

I have two academy kits. The first is a miragIIIc 1/48 and the second is a MiG-21 F-13 1/72.

The problem with this kits is the detail. The fuselage is ok but the exhaust interior(afterburner) is empty. The landing gears and the gears bays are "Flat"

and the interior in the mig-21 is rubbish.

I need help to make some detail on this parts. Photos will be very helpful and if anyone knows where can I buy a resin seat for the mig, will be excellent.

Fischer

Is an option, but I want to build it. :thumbsup:

So a detail set would be very useful.

I don't think there are any. Since the Academy Mirage kit is a knockoff of the ancient 1/50th Fujimi kit, any 1/48th set probably wouldn't work and, honestly, since the Academy kit is so-so anyway there probably is not much sense in making a cockpit set for it.

So if you want to add detail, scratchbuilding it is, I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Andre

CMK did various stuff for the MiG-21. Do a "find" in this page, there's lots, and the bonus is that I have bought some stuff from this dealer and got good service.

http://www.eaglemodels.co.uk/acatalog/CMK.html

Edit: Sorry, disregard, just spotted your Fishbed is 1:72. :thumbsup:

However, may I suggest we leave this up in case it useful to anyone else?

Edited by MikeC
Edit: Sorry, disregard, just spotted your Fishbed is 1:72. :thumbsup:

Well, since the Academy kit is a knockoff of the old Hasegawa MiG-21F kit, it is out of scale as well... I think that the wings are overscaled, the fuselage is underscaled, or vice versa.

Cheers,

Andre

As noted above these kits aren't "new" kits at all. IIRC the 1/50 Mirage III came out in the early-70s and the Hasegawa (sort of) 1/72 MiG-21F probably came out about the same time. I think the only thing Academy did with those was (maybe) engrave the panel lines. These were also, IIRC, some of Academy's very early releases.

So don't judge all Academy kits by these two, they've come quite a ways since then.

Edited by DonSS3

Hi,

As noted above these kits aren't "new" kits at all. IIRC the 1/50 Mirage III came out in the early-70s and the Hasegawa (sort of) 1/72 MiG-21F probably came out about the same time. I think the only thing Academy did with those was (maybe) engrave the panel lines. These were also, IIRC, some of Academy's very early releases.

So don't judge all Academy kits by these two, they've come quite a ways since then.

I think the Hasegawa MiG-21F is certainly 70s however it is clearly too small and doesn't look right. In respect to detail, the Airfix MiG-21F is also weak but the Revell MiG-21F-13 has had some good reviews, and cockpits and exhausts are available. Also the prices on the Revell kit are quite reasonable, plus you get fairly accurate markings in the box.