Here's another one that's been languishing in the stash:

Katyusha004.jpg

My LHS had this on the closeout shelf last winter and since I was re-reading Antony Beevor's Stalingrad at the time, I snapped it up. I grabbed a few bottles of green I had laying around that were old mixes and nearly dried out and took them to work. I mixed them all together and/or reconstituted them with lacquer thinner, strained out the globs and sprayed the parts. Then I started looking up the history. As it turned out, the BM-13 is mounted on a post war ZiL-151 truck chassis. Italeri's instructions has a great write up about the Katyusha's war service but fail to tell us that they were carried on the ZiS-6 or the more favored Studebaker truck chassis during the war. The kit earned the trip to The Naughty Closet for that while I mulled over finding a 1/35 Studebaker or ZiS-6 truck to mount it to. It was forgotten until I was wrapping up the Sherman build and wondering if I had anything else like that in the stash. I saw this one and it clicked.

Anyway, as mentioned the only thing done so far is a preliminary painting of the parts on the sprue, with this odd dark green mix that probably would've worked better for a WWII build. I thinlk it'll be alright tho:

Katyusha005.jpg

I still have an AFV M-10 build that I'm doing some final assembly on so it may be the weekend before I start working on this one.

Ken

Edited by WymanV

Ahhh....no :)

Nice work happening over there. This one's post-war tho, so it won't be quite so dirty :pray:

Ken

Edited by WymanV
  • 1 month later...

Ken

You might want to check out the colour as Soviet soft skin lower chassis framing/running gear were painted black.

I finished this kit subject in 1:72 not so long ago (Shocking kit by ICM, as nothing fit, hence no spare tyre rack) and the images make the model look like it is floating, which it is not! ;)

bm13-16-based-01.jpg

bm13-16-based-02.jpg

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

Bummer. And I'm too far along to change it. The instructions and some web reference that I didn't save pointed out that the only ones that carried markings and colors other than green were the parade ones.

Better luck next time, I guess.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of those builds that'll cruise right along until all of a sudden-it's done. Better update while I can.

Components:

Katyusha011.jpg

And sitting together. The cab snapped into place. It won't have to come off again, or be glued on for that matter. The doors are a press fit too-maybe one day down the road I'll display it with one open:

Katyusha012.jpg

A couple of irritations: The outer rear wheels have 6 exposed ejector pin marks per wheel. They'll stay that way-it's too fiddly to mess with. And I saved myself a world of trouble in assembly by just glueing the wheels on. The way it's set up, if the glue would've held the retainer on it wouldn't have turned anyway. Besides, it's not a toy. Also, some nice gaps around the windscreens. The openings aren't the same shape as the clear inserts.

I still have to paint the rocket rails, assemble the framework to the back and glue the back down to the chassis. Then fiddly bits and it's done :cheers:

Ken