Help: decal spider lined

I was placing a decals last night for my VFA-94 flame jet and I ran into a problem. I put the decal on top of future and then coated with micro sol. After about 30 min everything was fine except a few bubbles in the decals. I couldn't resist to poke it with a sharp blade and then apply more micro sol. (I know I know I should have waited until it was dry.) That is when something really bad occurred. The decal wrinkled up, ok, not a big deal I though, this always happens with micro sol, wait til morning it and will be fine. The problem is, it dryed that way. :tumble: It looks like a spider web in the decal. This morning, I tried putting more microsol and smoothing with a paint brush but it didn't really help. Any suggestions?

In an related note: anyone got the FTD VFA-94 sheet and not doing the CAG jet? :tumble:

Edited by graves_09

Wow..that's a shame. I've seen that before but don't know why it happens. Assuming your gloss coat was smooth shiney and cured...I have no idea what causes that. If had limited success going over decal flaws like yours with a stronger decal Solvent. Take a sharp needle and tap the wrinles and apply Mr. Mark Softer. It may take a few go rounds but most of that should go down. If you must as a last resort....go to the big boy "Solvaset"...but don't let it set on the decal for long. Is that the Mighty Shrikes sheet?

Wow..that's a shame. I've seen that before but don't know why it happens. Assuming your gloss coat was smooth shiney and cured...I have no idea what causes that. If had limited success going over decal flaws like yours with a stronger decal Solvent. Take a sharp needle and tap the wrinles and apply Mr. Mark Softer. It may take a few go rounds but most of that should go down. If you must as a last resort....go to the big boy "Solvaset"...but don't let it set on the decal for long. Is that the Mighty Shrikes sheet?

Yes, the FTD Shrikes sheet. I don't think it was gloss coat issues, all the rest of the decals when on fine. Even this decal was fine (except for one bubble) then I got impatient and tried to correct the bubble before the decal was dry. Right now I am thinking I will either try to find a replacement decal or remove the bad part and paint it. At least the flames are ok. It shouldn't be too hard to mask and paint the rest. Either way I think I will give it a few days so I can calm down and make a wise decision before trying to tackle this problem :)

Edited by graves_09

I had that happen on one of the upper wing roundels of a Phantom FGR.2. This was with Air Doc decals and Micro Set/Sol. Try what dragonfly said. Mine are beyond repair as my 'spider webs' are very small and I can't get anything under them. I would have to sand the decal off, repaint, apply future and another decal. I think I just may finish the damn thing and not take it to contests.

Good Luck!

Edited by Shawn C.

WOW, I was just about to start a thread about this same problem. Mine concerns a cutting edge decal on a BF109 using the micro set/sol system. I think I may have to let it go since I don't have another sheet of the same type available. I wonder why this happens to some decals? A very strange problem.

Edited by CeeTee

I have had moderate success with this by getting the decal soft with solvent then rolling a Q tip over it with moderate pressure like a steam roller. when it's flat again brush some future onto it. For this to work the edges have to be loose from the model or the air won't escape. Keep it wet and roll away. I apply decals with the Q tip steam roller in nearly all aplications. I almost never have an issue, unless the Q tip slides. I use Solvaset on all my decals never had a bad reaction.

Curt