My next build will be the Trumpeter 1/35 kit of the Stryker. Looking in the box, the parts look well moulded with little if any flash and any moulded on detail looks sharp and crisp. Like all my armor builds this will be OOB. Paint scheme on this one is very simple with one color, green.

IMG_4569a.jpg

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Loooong time between updates on this one. For the most part i have all the kit assembled with a few of the smaller parts still to go on. I have to say, for such a small kit there are a LOT of parts, 307 so the box top says!!! There are more bits and pieces in this than a few of my 1/32 aircraft kits. There are quite a few very small handles, grab rails and things that really try my patience. There is also some PE to add and bend, and i usually have "fun" doing PE. Thank god there are alternative plastic parts included. Anyway, enough whining!! It does build up nicely, fit for the most part is fine with simple issues in a couple of spots that are easily remedied. The detail is pretty sharp, i think it will really pop under paint and weathering. They also include two sprues of duffle bags, packs, rolls, etc to add, most operational pics i see show it loaded up so i will do the same. One pic for the nite.

IMG_4572a.jpg

Don

"Striker? Striker, Striker, Striker..... STRIKER!"

air13.jpg

hehehe, I couldn't resist.

I notice there are no wheels yet. Are they that rubber material, or does the kit have plastic/resin/solid wheels?

The kit has rubber tires, they look OK but i`ve read there is a set to improve the look or replace the wheel/tires. I prefer plastic tires myself, they are easier to paint and weather. Started in on the PE today, found bending the kit included stuff was real easy. After cutting from the fret and cleaning up the edges with a file, i used a pair of pliers with wide tight fitting jaws to bend the parts. The stuff bent easily and didn`t distort areas not covered by the jaws. The end result turned out fine for me. The PE had lines etched in that helped a lot to bend without distorting There are a few mort parts to do, should be able to handle these with no fear. Oh wait!! I still have to glue them on with Super Glue, another nemesis of mine.

Pic of the kit part before bending

IMG_4575a.jpg

After bending. Happy with the result.

IMG_4579a.jpg

IMG_4580a.jpg

Pliers i used. Bought 3 different pairs with unique jaws i find useful in odd situations. Wish i could find more.

IMG_4581a.jpg

Don

OK, managed to glue all but the cable cutters on and give the build its color coat. This is FS34102 sprayed with an Aztek brush. I then gave it a filter coat of dark brown and then gave a coat of Acryl gloss. This is in prep for a wash for panel lines, bolts, hatches etc. After that, the weathering will begin. I also managed to paint one of the load sprues and weathered the packs and rolls. This is supposed to be Woodland camo, i`m OK with the results. Anyway, just two pics for now.

IMG_4586a.jpg

IMG_4584a.jpg

Don

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I have to tell you, the camo on the packs really isn`t that hard to do. Putting the various colors down on the base coat doesn`t take longer than 5 minutes per pack at the most. This is one time a shaky hand helps. I can try and put together a tutorial on how, i`ll do that in the next few days. Today i managed to do a wash to the build. I used Testors Acryl burnt umber with a touch of black applied on a gloss coat. I removed excess with a brush while still wet, allowing some to settle around and in details. I tried to apply the decals, but they all silvered. Badly. This was even using Future as a setting solution, something that has always worked for me in the past. I stripped off all decals and i guess this build will be stickerless. One pic to show the results of the wash, some drybrushing will be next then a flat coat and more weathering.

IMG_4589a.jpg

Don

Nice work, this looks like a great kit.

Andy.

Hello Andy, the kit is pretty good!! Fit and finish are good, assembly is straightforward but there are a lot of very small parts. You need to be comfortable with small handles etc to do this kit Something i read while researching the build is this represents a prototype/preproduction sample along with other inaccuracies. I didn`t pay attention to them as it would be built this way, warts and all. Did manage to add all the packs and do some weathering with MiG pigments, still have a few small parts to add then some more final tweaks and it will be done.

IMG_4624a.jpg

IMG_4627a.jpg

Don

Hey all!! finished the build tonight. I wanted to get pics posted ASAP so i have pics with the antennas intact. I managed to break them off three times!! Finally managed to finish and photograph with them intact. I made them with stretched sprue, painted and weathered and installed. I weathered with three different shades of MiG Pigments to prevent a monochromatic finish. I did dust weathering and no mud since i can`t do mud and i didn`t want to hide anything. Anyway, a few pics below.

IMG_4646a.jpg

IMG_4648a.jpg

IMG_4649a.jpg

IMG_4653a.jpg

IMG_4654a.jpg

IMG_4655a.jpg

IMG_4656a.jpg

IMG_4658a.jpg

IMG_4662a.jpg

Don