First time building a tank

Hey Guys,

I'm about to build a 1/72nd Dragon Panzer IV Ausf. G, and I was wondering if you all could provide a few tips. I'll be building it OOB. What's the best way to paint tanks? Do I build the hull and turret and paint them separately? What do you all recommend?

Thanks,

John

John,

I would build both of them and paint separately. There is two ways to paint the wheels. Paint them overall color and then paint the rubber on with a paint brush or marker. The other way is spray the the rubber your favorite black color and use a drafting template or other masking template to cover that up and paint the middle the over all color. Other than that take your time removing the parts to avoid breaking any, when I built my small Sherman I used a piece of tape behind the part to help keep it from flying around the room and getting eaten by the carpet monster. I am slow learning so it took awhile before I figured that out. :thumbsup:

HTH

Hi John

Yes there are plenty different ways to paint your tank and it is all a question of Taste and whatever floats your boat, What I do is put together the main subs, ie. hull and turret, I don't add any of the tools or wheels. i paint everything separately, and then put it together and weather it at this point before adding the tools, cables and other goodies, which get painted separately as well. Then i just pop on the other goodies and done.

You will have to try different things and find what works for you.

Bottom line, just enjoy it and have fun, :thumbsup:

I assemble as much as I can and then pain.t Running gear is painted separately and added once I have weathered the lower chassis. With Dragon 1:72 armour, you normally can add the tracks after all the painting is done, before you undertake the remainder of the weathering.

I paint the "rubberband" tracks before adding them to the tank and weather everything together. With link and length track, many modellers add them during assembly and carefully paint them at painting stage.

:D

MikeJ