An F-15E colour question

Hello people,

I would like to have your opinion about the colour on the avionics bay on the F-15E Stroke Eagle. What kind of "green" is that?

Here go a picture about what I'm talking about:

15E31.jpg

Tamiya has a more or less correct shade of it?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

• 12 years later...

F-15C Avionics bay 5 colour 

I struggled with the colour aspect wanting to do the interior in pre-1979 colours.  In the end I mixed the following Tamiya paints to get it pretty close to the blue/green metallic colour:  Aluminium XF16, with XF25.  It looks virtually spot on even with the nice sheen of the aluminium coming through.  I think if I added a little clear blue it would be match, but I figure it is close enough.  The iphone photo colour isn't great but it actually is close to photo of the bay I found.

IMG_7151.JPG

811121582_ScreenShot2022-06-28at6_38_43pm.png

Edited by raafmad

I worked for the company that made quite a few hydraulic actuators for the F-15 and they were painted in this color.  We called it 'MacAir Blue' even though it was definitely more of a blue/green and the Xtracolor paint is spot on (the tin states 'X159 F-15E Interior Blue/Green'  not Blue/Grey)

2 minutes ago, Nebbor said:

Both my tins have different names 😁.

So at least 3 variations

image.jpg

I have a paint test panel somewhere around here and whatever they called it, the color of the Xracolor paint is the same as it, so they did get that right..

Just now, fasteagle12 said:

I have a paint test panel somewhere around here and whatever they called it, the color of the Xracolor paint is the same as it, so they did get that right..

That's all that matters

4 hours ago, raafmad said:

F-15C Avionics bay 5 colour 

I struggled with the colour aspect wanting to do the interior in pre-1979 colours.  In the end I mixed the following Tamiya paints to get it pretty close to the blue/green metallic colour:  Aluminium XF16, with XF25.  It looks virtually spot on even with the nice sheen of the aluminium coming through.  I think if I added a little clear blue it would be match, but I figure it is close enough.  The iphone photo colour isn't great but it actually is close to photo of the bay I found.

IMG_7151.JPG

811121582_ScreenShot2022-06-28at6_38_43pm.png

Hello,

The colour it self is a clear color epoxy thing.

What I did is to mix Smoke Blue with a Clear Green. But green needs to be added slowly until you get the hue you like. The clear green is hard compared to smoke blue. This is why.

And you have more control on the process.

If you mix clear bule and clear green you get closer to japanese Aotake easily compared to this hue.

After you get the hue spray metallic color you want and then spray the clear blue-green tjat will create the exact appearance.

I wish I could send pictures of mine but the models is at home and at the moment I am based at another place.

I hope this helps,

Arkut

Edited by clumsy

I found the paint test panel (used to check paint thickness and adhesion) that we painted the F-15 actuators with and you can see how close the Xtracolor paint is to it.. Not to be argumentative,  but I'm confident that it isn't a 'clear' color. 

16564324206357661014036795895145.jpg

Edited by fasteagle12
17 minutes ago, fasteagle12 said:

I found the paint test panel (used to check paint thickness and adhesion) that we painted the F-15 parts with and you can see how close the Xtracolor paint is to it.. Not to be argumentative,  but I'm confident that it isn't a 'clear' color. 

16564324206357661014036795895145.jpg

Well, can't find a better match than that! Looks pretty much identical.

Thanks for sharing this test panel, always nice to see some real life paint swatches checking model paint accuracy. Glad I have this Xtracolor paint in my stash.

I asked my wife for help.

Here is the picture she took as an attachment.

Eventhough it is not the 100% perfect match on the hue within IPMS standards I humbly consider it accetable or even a good match.

686494BA-9A5D-4983-A969-9C060C617178.jpeg

Edited by clumsy