I'm about to start an ICS Mig 29 (9-13) with lots of after market goodies. The plan is to make one of the ill fated Mig's of the Gromov flight research institute that crashed at Fairford in '93. I remember seeing them crash and I always wanted to add one to my collection but just never did.

i am starting today with a mig-29 9-12 from italeri in 1:72 + lift here Yugoslavian markings.this will be a present for a friend of mine....

Hahahaha, you are definitly a modeling machine!!!! :D

Can't wait to see that Yugo MiG-29 finished! B)

Cheers, :salute:

Nenad.

P.S - Ti si lud 100%, svega mi. :D

Chinese Old Lady

Am I the only one who thinks this particular bird looks sexy?? :whistle:

Close Up Pores, Warts et al.

Does anyone know what the two open doors near the intake lip are? They look kind of like airflow bypass outlets?? I have never seen them on other MiG-19s or J-6s.

Also notice the shape of the radar housing within the inlet. Besides the different radar housing, the intake geometry (the profile of splitter plate) also looks different from other radar equipped P's and PM's.

I wonder whether this is a short run experimental a/c (like the many China developed from the Russian template while playing catch up in the late 70's and much of 80's). Any MiG-19 experts around??

Giles

I will try to complete an Eastern Express MiG-29 SMT in 1/72: still deciding whether to buid it OOB as the prototype #917 or modifying it to represent the ex Algerian now serving in the Russian Air Force.

By the way, anybody knows a sort of match for the latter's three grays?

Dont' worry, I will miss the deadline anyway, as I did for the Red Star Group Build!

Cheers

Davide

Chinese Old Lady

Am I the only one who thinks this particular bird looks sexy?? :)

Close Up Pores, Warts et al.

Does anyone know what the two open doors near the intake lip are? They look kind of like airflow bypass outlets?? I have never seen them on other MiG-19s or J-6s.

Also notice the shape of the radar housing within the inlet. Besides the different radar housing, the intake geometry (the profile of splitter plate) also looks different from other radar equipped P's and PM's.

I wonder whether this is a short run experimental a/c (like the many China developed from the Russian template while playing catch up in the late 70's and much of 80's). Any MiG-19 experts around??

Giles

Crimony...you aren't kidding about that being a different aircraft, with the radar and suction doors. Never seen anything quite like it. Also, looks like it lacks the tail-mounted drag chute fairing that usually helps to identify a Chinese Farmer; maybe it's a very, very early development?

Crimony...you aren't kidding about that being a different aircraft, with the radar and suction doors. Never seen anything quite like it. Also, looks like it lacks the tail-mounted drag chute fairing that usually helps to identify a Chinese Farmer; maybe it's a very, very early development?

You are right Andrew!

It does seem to be an early development according to Deino's history write up. The radar set is probabaly range only, since this is a day fighter IIRC. The intake and slimmer profile of splitter plate and the "suction doors" or "bypass" seem to suggests a larger airflow requirement than the Soviet MiG-19. Possibly more powerful (or primative?) jet engine. It lacks the tail-mounted drag chute fairing (I think it predates that characteristic feature), so it is most probabaly an early pre-production/pre-volume production Chinese Farmer.

I am just puzzled by the intake and the "doors" because these features suggest an "improvement" over the Soviet baseline. The subsequent production J-6s however seemed more in line with the Soviet originals...

Giles

This Group build came along at just the right time! I have just wrapped up some models for the show aircraft build and was wondering what my next project might be when I saw this. I would like to join with 2 Academy 1/48 Mig-29's, one in the New Strizhi markings and the second in "Farewell USA" markings. I have the Linden Hill decals for the Swifts and the Cutting Edge ones for the other. Other aftermarket planned: Quickboost noses and pitot tubes, Aires cockpit for the one model and Eduard p/e for the other. Below are some pictures of the items except for the Eduard which is still on it's way.

By the way there is a sort of negative connection to my previous build which included two F-86's in Italian "Frecce Tricolori" markings. The connection? Well F-86s were "Mig killers" after all!

DSCN3250.jpg

DSCN3251.jpg

DSCN3252.jpg

DSCN3253.jpg

I'm in with something, probably a Hobbyboss 17 or Academy 21. These decisions take time ya know :thumbsup:

Ok, yup, it's gonna be a Hobbyboss Mig 17 in VPAF markings. I've got a Neomega cockpit and some Quickboost stuff for it as well. Off we go :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

I just started my 1/72 scale Revell Mig-21 F-13.

Will finish it in standard Russian markings.

Some aftermarket stuff: Pavla's update set for this kit, with resin wheels, resin seat, resin nosecone and vacuformed canopy.

And ofcourse some scratchbuilding of my own...

Greetz!

Jurgen

Hello all. I am new here and this is my first post and my first build here. I just ordered a MiG 3 from eBay in 1/72 from Encore and i want to do it in Romanian markings.

Chris

Welcome aboard the forums and warm welcome to MiG group build.