I was wondering if this boxing:

monof14a5-vi.jpg

has the same moldings as these??:

monof14a1-vi.jpg

monof14a2-vi.jpg

monof14a4-vi.jpg

f14-vi.jpg

monof14a3-vi.jpg

I heard that there was an early Revell mold which was very bad.. unbuiltable..

Just wanna confirmation from you guys.. I'm in love with the VF-111 marking.. TIA

Cheers,

Juan

Edited by juan
monof14a5-vi.jpg

Oh man, I remember that kit for sale at the NAS Miramar Toyland and the gate guard at the East Gate painted up in VF-111 markings. They must've sold a bunch of those kits at Miramar. Thanks for the flashback!

monof14a5-vi.jpg

That has to be one of the weirdest box arts Monogram ever did. Okay, it is a nice action shot of an F-14 doing something a typical pre-teen kid wants to think it is doing, flying around and shooting the bad guys. But I look at it and just chuckle as I see it apparently taking missile fire from below and two Sparrow missiles are flying below it at VERY close range! What the heck is going on? Is it getting attacked by another Navy jet? I suppose maybe it shot the missiles itself, but one is still on the pylon and it has a Phoenix load (unless it has two Phoenix missiles in front and a single Sparrow behind). If it did fire two Sparrows, why? Since they are semi-active, they can't track independent targets. It is just a bit confusing to me. :thumbsup:

Edited by Jay Chladek
monof14a1-vi.jpg

I built this kit many times and I believe this to be the boxing that I built. I remember distinctly that when Monogram's F-14 was issued, there was no other game in town, at least in 48th. It wasn't the most accurate kit, but it could be built into a convincing replica iirc. One of the models I built was donated to the Dyess AFB museum for display and was in a case there at least for a while back in the mid '80's.

Rick

monof14a3-vi.jpg

I remember the Monogram "Hight Tech" kits.

I had the F-18 Hornet and I have no idea what they made the PE out of in those kits, but I could barely cut through it to get it off the fret, almost totalled a file cleaning the burs off of it and could'nt get it to bend properly to save my life. :thumbsup:

I'm real glad Monogram didn't pursue that idea beyond the initial series of six or so kits.

Same type of bits came in the F-4C (and J, IIRC), F-5E and a couple of other kits, IIRC. Almost need tin snips to cut the stuff... :thumbsup:

I knew about the F-4C but not the J or the F-5E.

The High Tech kits I knew about were the A-4, F-4C, F-14, F-18, F-100 and F-117

P.S: Sorry for the thread jacking, Juan. :)

I knew about the F-4C but not the J or the F-5E.

The High Tech kits I knew about were the A-4, F-4C, F-14, F-18, F-100 and F-117

P.S: Sorry for the thread jacking, Juan. :rolleyes:

No worries, Kevan...

Do'h.. I didn't realized that the PE of the Monogram Hi-Tech series are so really bad.. In fact, I've got the whole series of them.. Ouuuch!!

No worries, Kevan...

Do'h.. I didn't realized that the PE of the Monogram Hi-Tech series are so really bad.. In fact, I've got the whole series of them.. Ouuuch!!

The PE is pretty nice (not Eduard quality, though), but it is very hard and very hard to work with. I suspect it's a high quality/strength stainless steel.

No worries, Kevan...

The PE is well formed and defined. It's just really hard and not scored deep enough for proper folding.

After losing the edge of my knife trying to cut the first one or two pieces of the fret, I switched to a set of small side cutters (for dental work) to do the rest and it worked alright. I could get close enough to the actual pieces to avoid burs that had given my file a beating from the first two pieces.

Hi guys...

I was wondering if this boxing:

[

Just wanna confirmation from you guys.. I'm in love with the VF-111 marking.. TIA

Cheers,

Juan

Actually the fifth one down IIRC was the Revell own kit that had working glove vanes. This kit was before Revell and Monogram were bought by the same company. I'm pretty sure all boxings after that were the Monogram kit.

Mike

Which I believe is a reboxed Fujimi Tomcat. I would stick my hobby knife in my hand before building another of those

Nope, it's a Revell of Germany original, methinks - not the Fujimi thingy.

Cheers,

Andre

I built that one when I was a kid. It was garbage.

When I heard that Revell and Monogram were the same company, I always thought Monogram took all the old Revell molds and improved them..

How about the Chuck Yeager Super Fighters series? Yuk

Cheers, Ian

Agreed... Beautiful models...

Wow!! I'm still confused over Revell & Monogram moldings?!?

Thanks! In regards to the Revell and Monogram kits, the confusion comes because Revell and Monogram merged in the late 80's. Monogram felt Revell had better name recognition, so after awhile, they dropped the Monogram part of the name and went with Revell. It was just another example of how inept Monogram's marketing department is. The top model is the Revell release from back in the 70's. It's so bad that the picture on the box is actually of the Fujimi kit! The Revell kit has no wheel bays at all, and the cockpit has decals for the instrument panels and no control stick. The only small thing going for it is that it has the pre-production gun vent. That's the only thing I can think of that is actually a positive aspect of that kit. The Monogram, on the other hand, looks very nice when built up. There are some fit issues, but they can be overcome. I've built over 50 of them in my modeling life. It has good detail overall, and nice shape. All of the "Revell" releases as of now, even Revell of Germany for the most part, are the Monogram kit. At one time, Revell of Germany still had the old Revell mold, but I believe it still had the VF-84 box art. Essentially, if you don't purchase a Revell Tomcat with VF-84 box art, you will end up with the Monogram kit. Hopefully that will help a little.

Edited by Darren Roberts