Decals on rubber tires

Hi all,

So the Fightertown VF-32 Swordsmen sheet comes with decals for tires (Good Year / Aircraft Rib)... question: Can I just put them straight onto the Hasegawa rubber tires? Or do I need to glosscoat the tires first then mat coat over them? I imagine that if I glosscoat over them the paint will chip... no? How have you guys done it?

-Greg

When I built a lot of NASCAR models, I always put decals on the tires...those big, white (later yellow) Goodyear logos just had to be there. First, I glossed the sidewall with Future (or other clear acrylic), applied the decal, re-Futured, then finished off with Dullcote. This technique should work in your situation.

Future is an acrylic and remains flexible enough for your tires. When I was a young buck, newly enlisted in the USAF, we had to stand inspection in formation everyday. We all used a coat of Future on our spitshined boots to make them purdy. It worked on our combat boots, that's how flexible Future is.

Edited by Marv

lgl,

Rubber tires are often fairly greasy with mold release agents so you really want to break out the tooth brush and a soap that cuts grease (dish soap or 409) to clean that garbage off.

The slick and slimey nature of rubber tires makes them fairly immune to the usual paint-based tricks for creating realistic tires in scale. Here's a car-builder's trick for developing a bit of wear on the tread surface: Chuck the tire in your Dremel and spin it at a fairly low speed while gently tapping it on a piece of 1200-ish sand paper. If you were trying to show a racing slick in all its filthy molten glory, you'd use a more aggressive sand paper and much longer taps (to develop some actual melting). But since you're dealing with a jet, 1200 and very quick, light taps will do the trick. This will develop a bit of "tooth" in the slick and slimey surface of the rubber and allow your pastels and flats to find some purchase on the tire's tread.