Hey Guys,

As I am wrapping up my first rotorcraft build, I had a few questions for you:

1. Do you glue your main and tail rotors in place, or leave them loose for transport to displays, shows, etc. ?

2. If you do secure them, how do you package them for transport to prevent breakage?

Sorry for such basic questions, but I 'd hate to go through all of this work, only to do something stupid at the end...

Thanks.

Sincerely,

David

Hey Guys,

As I am wrapping up my first rotorcraft build, I had a few questions for you:

1. Do you glue your main and tail rotors in place, or leave them loose for transport to displays, shows, etc. ?

2. If you do secure them, how do you package them for transport to prevent breakage?

Sorry for such basic questions, but I 'd hate to go through all of this work, only to do something stupid at the end...

Thanks.

Sincerely,

David

Hi David,

Most modelers have different ways to carry their models. Here's how I carry mine.

First I would not glue the main rotor to the fuselage. I would however glue the tail rotor in place.

I use plastic container and glue thin styrofoam at the bottom.I will draw an outline of the helicopter on the styrofoam so it goes back kind in the same place everytime. I will secure my model with toothpicks and soft foam to the bottom styrofoam.

For the mainrotor I would use thick cardboard and lay it flat. you may have to create a hole in cardboard for the main hub of the rotor.

Anyway, good luck Transporting my models to a show is definetly my least favorite thing. Be ready for some stuff to break from the vibration of the road. I always carry super glue,tweezers some tape and other little you may need to fix the small parts. Hopefully you will get other feedback from other modelers as well.

Oliver

Edited by shark 64

Tail rotors are different depending on the kit and how "exposed" they might be but generally I just friction fit them if I can (so that even if I leave them in place while moving, there is some "give" as they will move rather than break if bumped). As to main rotors I almost always leave them unglued and carry them separate to put in place when helicopter is displayed. Another point to make is that even though I am not glueing in a rotor I always try to glue on any sort of retaining cap (without the rotor in place obviously) such that you get a deeper firm "socket" to put the rotor into as if you just put the rotor into the "hole" the thickness of the plastic, there is often too much wiggle and instability. A nice deep firm mounting "socket" is much preferred. HTH

Cheers

Bruce

Edited by RCAFFAN