Upon perusing the Squadron flyer this month, I see that Tamiya has a BAE Hawk Mk1 in 1/48th scale. Squadron lists it as a "re-release", but I don't remember them ever kitting one in 48th - only Airfix and Premier.

So, is this a new mold that slipped in under the radar or is this an Airfix kit re-release?

Anyone have the inside scoop?

Stew

When's that new one coming out? Remember, the one at one of the toy shows, the Mk. 66 I believe it was. Swiss livery I think.

Matt

The one that Tamiya has out is in Swiss livery.

Rebox of the Italeri kit, huh? How's that one? I have the Airfix and it's ok by Airfix standard. Plus I have the CMK resin bits for it. Seems to me if it's just the Italeri re-release, Italeri would be cheaper for the same product.

I'm building one right now (Swiss Mk. 66 kit) and it's a decent enough kit. It isn't typical Tamiya quality of fit and finish, it IS an Italeri rebox, but it's not bad. The wing root joint is kinda rough, and there's a few spots where you'll need to fix some seams, but all in all a decent kit. The metal figures are useless IMO, they're kinda flattened as if the mold was crushed too tight when pouring, they have very little detail, and what detail is there is soft. I"m not going to use mine, they'll make good ballast in another model. The decal sheet is nice, though. Canopy looks really nice, too.

I won mine at the IPMS Nats raffle, otherwise I would never have purchased one. Ya know, I'm glad I won it, should be a very cool model when done.

Erin

<*>

Edited by DasPhule