Pastic putty pics

bottle.jpg

Heres the cement I use

plasticputty1.jpg

here it is after the plastic has melted. i gave it about 4 hours ish. the longer u wait the better, just to be sure its all good and melted.

puttyontank.jpg

here i have put the plastic putty on a couple sink holes. the good thing is, the plastic is the same color.

:D, G'day Holmes,

The label on the bottle actually says 'flammable vapour'. It's actually only the vapours that are flammable, not the actual liquid, like many other flammable liquids, petrol for instance. And no I'm not going to describe the old party trick, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. I saw that trick done many times until one day it all went very pear shaped and let's just say the foam extinguisher had to be used. Once the vapours have evaporaterd and the 'putty' has hardened and melted into the surface of the plastic it is no longer going to produce flammable vapours, so no, after it is dry it is no more flammable than the plastic around it, which is still flammable if you heat it enough, but not as in striking a much right next to it. I still melt sprue for rigging wires by striking a match and holding the piece of sprue above the flame until it sags in the middle and then draw it out to whatever thickness I want it. I've also used a variation of this method to make thin pieces of putty for filling very narrow gaps such as between fuselage halves.

B),

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford
Pat,

it says it is Flammable .so question... once it has been used on the Model

would it still be dangerous to have any flame near the model, or does

it negate that once it had bee n used in its melted stage ?

B)

no more dangerous than using it just as a regular glue as far as i know.

I tried this trick myself last year on a build, and I don't think it's worth the bother. I used lacquer thinner instead of liquid cement, but they're equally effective at melting plastic. I found the resultant goop has to be laid on very thinly or else it ends up forming large air pockets and bubbles. It also seems to dry quite brittle, but that could be down to individual styrene formulations. I actually found the fact that the goop was the same colour as the kit's plastic a bit of a disadvantage, as it made it harder to see properly for sanding and smoothing - but again, I was working on a kit with dark green plastic, so lighter colours my fare better in that regard. One last thing you have to watch: because the carrier is liquid cement, if you get it where you don't want it, it will damage the plastic!

Kev