F-14 armament loadouts

Hi everyone. I just started another project. It's the Tamiya 1/32nd scale F-14A tomcat, the kit the version that has precision bombing capabilities with LGB's. Does or can the F-14A carry the AMRAAM missle. Thinking about putting some on there that are left overs from the Academy F/A-18C kit. Just thought it would look kind of cool compared to the Sparrow missiles.

Little Jeff

Edited by Little Jeff

I would question if it could have, because there are quite a few weapons that it carried Unofficially - the Lantirn Adapter, for example, was originally used when they tested the bird with the AGM-88 HARM. They've also carried Harpoons as well, and other weapons, so don't write it off entirely as possible, but probably not Official.

F-14's where not autnorized to carry AMRAAM's, HARPOON's or HARM. They may have done some ground tests and maybe one flight but that was it.

The closest thing we got to carrying AMRAAM's out in the fleet is that we were issued the wings and fin tools for the missile.

Reddog :rolleyes:

David, Was there a special rail that the AMRAAM was carried on? Were they stored under the fuselage where the Pheonix missiles were carried or where the Sparrows were carried under the sidewinders? In that pic, is that ECM pod under the fuselage Sorry for all the questions, I am just really curious as to why they never carried them in combat operations and the F/A-18C Hornet did.

Little Jeff

I'm pretty positive that picture above shows a launch from the wing glove pylon (you can see the ejector crutch under the wing pylon), not the belly, like this picture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:F-14_carrying_AMRAAM.jpg

Although you can hang about anything on a modern aircraft for a display, being ably to fly with it and employ it is another thing. Weapons have to be tested cleared for flight and separation, the avionics may have to be upgraded to interface and handle the weapon, wiring may have to be added, and so on. It is very doubtful that F-14s flew around carrying AIM-120s, HARPOONs, or any unauthorized loads "unofficially".

Edited by Dave Williams

i believe the legend goes something like during the last few years of tomcat use the lantirn systems were coming on line as well as the amraam's. there was a budget thing about being able to get the tomcat modified/cleared for both so it was decided to best make use of the lantirns to increase the capabilities of the airframe. there were more things to drop bombs on than shoot missles at during the following years so supposedly it helped lengthen the tomcats career.

hth

Edited by zerosystem

The F-14 AMRAAM rails were similar to an F-15/16/18's----they just replaced the Sidewinder rails. And they were pylon-mounted like the Sidewinder rails. I'm certain that had the program progressed, they would have done like the F-15 and adapted the conformal Sparrow mounts for AMRAAMs.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Actually Dave (I checked on this, because when they had the AAE gear clearing house a few years back, these pylons were up for grabs as well). The AMRAAMS were carried on modified Sparrow rails. Externally they are identical to the Sparrow ones.

As shown, a test F-14 did fly with AMRAAMs and fire an unguided missile. With the Tomcat slated for retirement, it was far to costly to upgrade it to employ the AMRAAM.

Also, the F-14 was not the first aircraft to fire an AMRAAM.

Rodney

I didn't say Cleared, I said they FLEW with them, as in, were Tested with them. If I recall, the Harpoon was hung on tunnel pallets, the HARM was on a glove adapter (which later was used for LANTIRN) and as we can see, the AMRAAM was tested off the glove. Could it? Yes. Did it? No. If you want to put AMRAAM on your Tomcat, put it in the colours of, oh, VX-9 and she's good to go most likely. For kicks, put a pair of Harpoons on too.

Edited by Sauragnmon
David, Was there a special rail that the AMRAAM was carried on? Were they stored under the fuselage where the Pheonix missiles were carried or where the Sparrows were carried under the sidewinders?

Since the updated F-4F ICE carries AMRAAM in the fuselage Sparrow wells, for a 'what-if' you can put them under the fuselage of a Tomcat where it would normally carry the four Sparrows as well.

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I will put them in the spots for the sparrows under the fuselage. I know they probably didn't carry them there, in testing or in real life, but I think it just looks pretty cool. A hypothetical armament loadout that just looks bad a--! Thanks for all the replies again.

Little Jeff

Edited by Little Jeff