Ok so I get home from work today and my son has used my 250ml X-20a to clean his brushes he was using to paint his 64 Ford Mustang model. Is this still useable for my airbrush? Can I strain it through cotton or will it work ok as is? Its black atm....

Edited by Justicebringer
Ok so I get home from work today and my son has used my 250ml X-20a to clean his brushes he was using to paint his 64 Ford Mustang model. Is this still useable for my airbrush? Can I strain it through cotton or will it work ok as is? Its black atm....

OOOOH this stuff (X-20 Tamiya Thinner) is really expensive, too expensive to be using for cleaning! You probably know that already.

Can you use it again? Use at your own risk!

So, is the kid grounded? Gonna make him "work off" the $7 that bottle cost? I cringe to think of somebody doing that--but the definition of being a kid is "not thinking," right?

Hate to say it, but you're probably boned, and will have to replace the bottle.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

I don't think there's a feasible way to fix that problem - the thinner is basically chemically mixed with the carrier and pigment molecules. From a brighter perspective, at least you have some pre-weathered thinner that can last you duno how many years :banana:

Perhaps you can let your kid use that for a while, let the fact that thinner + dirty brushes = thinner turns dirty sink in for a while. Get yourself a replacement in the meantime (like Grant said). Maybe you can throw in a kiddy proof cap if it fits. Happy Modeling!

Go into the local chemist's or Walgreen's and buy a bottle of 91% (or higher) alcohol. It works like a charm on Tamiya. Or if you really want to be cheap, buy a gallon of windshield washer fluid (the stuff with the blue tinge.)

I've tested these with Tamiya for quite a few years, and they really work. Plus you'll save tons of $$.

Hello again

After watching the MIG Productions/Night Vision DVD on airbrush techniques by Adam Wilder, did you know that tamiya paint was designed to be thinned with lacquer/cellulose thinners.

I've tryed it, and have to say it improves the finish two to three times better than the tamiya thinner, its smoother and adheres to primer excellently, i left some white tack on the model over night straight on the paint (normally i would mist a coat of future/klear to seal) and when removing it, it never even damaged the paint let alone lifting any.

The only bad point is the fumes, not as bad as thinning enamels but still smelly.