:lol:, Hi to all who are interested in the Trainers Group Build. I received a message from Steve Filak this morning telling me he has put the Trainers GB on the calender commencing on the 01 April 2010. You're pulling my leg aren't you Steve? ;) Just kidding you mate. Thank you for fitting us in and to those who want to join in I wanted to make the subject matter as wide as possible, so no era or type limits. As long as it is or was used to trainer aircrew members (and not just pilots) it's eligible. Even if it's a single seater fighter that was used to train fighter pilots or even a single seat elementary glider from the 1920s and 30s it's eligible. It may powered or non powered, fixed or rotary winged, jet or prop, military or civil.

The only stipulation is that you do some research and make sure the markings are accurate for that time period and at least attempt to show some documentation or have a history of the aircraft from somewhere. There is a Tiger Moth on the Australian civil register but it is in its genuine RAAF colours. It was the first of 100 Tiger Moths imported into Australia after the outbreak of WW2 and was the last Tiger built at Hatfield. Where did I get this history; from the present owner at Festival of Flight last year. If you can provide documentation or such a history and where you got that history from that will be good enough. I just ask you to be honest. It might also be an idea to start thinking about GB banners if you want to have one.

:thumbsup:,

Ross.

• 5 months later...

:wave:, Only 3 weeks to go so put your thinking caps on and join in the Build. The parameters are still as above; as long as it was used to train aircrew it's elegible. If it was flown by a training unit you can enter it in the Build. An example would be a RAAF 2OCU Sabre, we didn't have any 2 seaters so all the OCU Swords were trainers. Time to start thinking about your entries.

Ross.

I'll join in!

I just got the R&R Models Mk.127 Hawk Update for the 1/48 Airfix kit, so I think I'll put that to use... I'm thinking maybe a 76 Sqn bird? Who knows! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by blackhawk7

I been waiting for this for sometime.........

I am in........with at least 1 confirmed entry............if time permits........maybe more...........:wacko:

Thanks

Mr B

I have the Eduard L-39 "Third world" dual combo and would be interested in entering if my choice of markings fits the GB rules, after all these jet trainers make up the whole combat section of some airforces and would not be used for training. :coolio:

I have the Eduard L-39 "Third world" dual combo and would be interested in entering if my choice of markings fits the GB rules, after all these jet trainers make up the whole combat section of some airforces and would not be used for training. :tumble:

G'day MiG Mongoose,

If aircraft such as the L-39 make up the entire combat wings of some small air forces I'll bet London to a brick those same aircraft would be used for training purposes to train those pilots in tactics and techniques so I can't see a problem with that. Just provide some evidence that you've at least attempted to verify that a certain bird has been used for training. Not sure about 3rd world L-39s but I can tell you that any Avon Sabre, Mirage IIIO or F/A-18A in RAAF 2 OCU colours has been used for training pilots even though these are all single seaters.

:rolleyes:,

Ross.

ps I have a couple of those Eduard 3rd world L-39 dual pack kits and if I get time I might drop one into the GB.

:coolio:, Any aeroplane that is/was used primarily for training is eligible, even if its original role was something else eg Avro Anson. Anything that has some other role as its primary task isn't eligible. For instance a 36 SQN RAAF C-130 isn't in the mix as it's used primarily for trash hauling, but a 292 SQN P-3 Orion is as its primary role is training operational P-3 crews. If it's a single seater that is/was primarily used as an conversion trainer/advanced trainer/lead in fighter in a training unit it's eligible. This is where historically correct markings will come in. I just ask that you do your research honesty on the marking of such aircraft. Two seaters used in fighters or bomber squadrons as hacks/liason birds aren't eligible in this GB. There is plenty of scope in the general rules to give everyone lots of choice.

:banana:,

Ross.

ps. Great banner bonehammer. Tongue in cheek is fine, it shows a bit of creativity. Good on you.

Edited by ross blackford
  • 3 weeks later...

:D Less than a week to go to the start of the Group Build. Thursday 1st April is the start date for this Build. Now's the time to pull those trainers out of the stash ready to start building. Don't forget to have a look at the general rules. Just a reminder about the rules, generally speaking, if it is or was designed or used as a trainer as its primary role it is elegible, although if it was generally used as a trainer although its original role was something else (eg Avro Anson, originally designed as a light bomber and initially used as such, but then later used as a pilot, navigation, radio operator, gunnery and bombing trainer as well as its service as a ferry aircraft ferrying aircrew around the country side.)

:lol:,

Ross.

Awesome! This group build is my style.

I will be finishing my 1/48 T-45 goshawk conversion that stalled a few months ago.

I am also in the process of starting another batch of 4 skyhawks.

:pray:, The Trainers GB starts today. Let's start seeing what we're all going to build for this one. I'm going to start with an Eduard 1/72 L-39. Exactly which colour scheme I'm not yet sure of so I'll decide as I go along. I'll put some pics of the kit up later today. It's a beautiful kit, not without its faults but very well detailed and with a ton of colour scheme choices.

Ross.