Tamiya Spitfire IX 1/32

Spitfire kits - just like buses .. waits 20 years for a decent 32nd spit , and in the course of 18 months 3 turn up at once , PCM Eduard & the big T

since the price looks as tho it'll be in the same ball park as the Zero, then I think ist's safe to assume it'll be in the same vein , full engine/gun bay details along with a state of the art Pit .. compare that with the PCM spit , which even its best friends will admit it a challenge, (I've built 3 of them so far) - so horses for courses,

If eduard do produce a generic late mark Spit Family incuding Griffon engine options it'll please me no end , I've built a XVI based on the PCM kit , and I'd love to do more , but the cost of the combo of Radu's conversion and the PCM kit is starting to get expensive , if Eduard cam bring it in for close to the price of the PCM kit , they'll sell by the bucket load , a feat I'm not sure Tamiya will manage ...

Edited by Scotsman

I'll take the Tamiya offering over any planned Eduard release right now, after my experiance with their POS Bf 109E-1...every time I start working on that POS it reminds me what a POS it is.

The Tamiya Spit will get its first kill on my modeling bench on that Eduard Emil, unless its farther enough along for painting I'll mothball it when I get my hot little hands on that puppy :salute:

Wow... what a shock...

Curious though, on a kit like, say, this one, or their previous Zero, how much time and planning/development goes into a kit like that? I'm just wondering as, well, who would put out an a/c in 1/32 that already has 2 other model companies making them... is there a point where they say 'we've put to much time and money into it to scrap the project now'?

I'll take the Tamiya offering over any planned Eduard release right now, after my experiance with their POS Bf 109E-1...every time I start working on that POS it reminds me what a POS it is.

The Tamiya Spit will get its first kill on my modeling bench on that Eduard Emil, unless its farther enough along for painting I'll mothball it when I get my hot little hands on that puppy :pray:

Now don't hold back Don....tell us how you really feel about the Eduard Emil :pray:

Don't get me going about their 1/48 Wurger :salute:

Now don't hold back Don....tell us how you really feel about the Eduard Emil :whistle:

Don't get me going about their 1/48 Wurger :deadhorse1:

I have to hold back, if I don't I'll blow the ARC censor program up :bandhead2:

What bugs me is the total lack of honest reviews on how bad the damn thing is, everyone claims its the best thing since sliced bread and we should thank Eduard for the kit....but they dodge the frigging cockpit by dropping Cutting Cheese cockpits in them (at least the latest Brett Green review he used some of the kit parts to correct the peoblems with the Cheese pit)

I'm praying Trumpeter does a better job on their version....and would sell someone soul for a Tamiya Emil 1/32nd scale (mines allready gone many years ago :P )

Just wondering...

I'm primarily a jet guy, but there are a few props that I would like to do in larger scale, one of them being a BoB Spitfire Mk1 or 2. Theres the half decent Revell kit with the odd raised/recessed panel lines and rather aged interior, and thats about it. Even decal manufactures seem to avoid the BoB machines. Are the BoB Spits not popular enough for an updating to moden standards? Is the Mk IX really so much more popular that we have 3 companies all putting out IX's, while the version that is so associated with one of the most important episodes in warfare is relegated to half hearted attempts at updating? Please tell me there is a new tool 1/32 Mk I/II release on the horizon!

I have to hold back, if I don't I'll blow the ARC censor program up :deadhorse1:

What bugs me is the total lack of honest reviews on how bad the damn thing is, everyone claims its the best thing since sliced bread and we should thank Eduard for the kit....but they dodge the frigging cockpit by dropping Cutting Cheese cockpits in them (at least the latest Brett Green review he used some of the kit parts to correct the peoblems with the Cheese pit)

I'm praying Trumpeter does a better job on their version....and would sell someone soul for a Tamiya Emil 1/32nd scale (mines allready gone many years ago :bandhead2: )

If you noticed in all of Bretts reviews of the 109, I don't think he really mentions any of the most egregious errors of the kit, including the slats or the canopy. Even in his "updated" posting today, he simply says that the error on the canopy isn't as noticable when its open. I'm not sure with all the irons in the fire he has, and business partners that he works with, if he could do a thorough review of the kit and post it, and not worry about upsetting a sponsor. Click on 'Plane Talking" and see who's banner is at the top of the page.

Edited by JasonB
If you noticed in all of Bretts reviews of the 109, I don't think he really mentions any of the most egregious errors of the kit, including the slats or the canopy. Even in his "updated" posting today, he simply says that the error on the canopy isn't as noticable when its open. I'm not sure with all the irons in the fire he has, and business partners that he works with, if he could do a thorough review of the kit and post it, and not worry about upsetting a sponsor. Click on 'Plane Talking" and see who's banner is at the top of the page.

Oh trust me, I know what the deal is there....and any Modeling Madness "review" the reviewer there has to worry about not getting any more freebies from Eduard if he does a honest review.

Only person I know who is doing a honest reveiw is Lynn Ritger, and I think he's stalled out on the project between other things and what a POS it is...he's got the IPMS/USA review kit of the E-1

Thats a bit pricey for me. I bought the PCM, since besides being in 1/32, had the extra detail and resin included.

Do these 1/32 Tamiya kits have photo etch? belts etc? I am not one for scratchbuilding. I did build their new 1/48 A6M5 and it was a dream to put together. But even that was pricey and the photo etch was extra. As far as the 1/32 kits, asking over 100 kinda puts me off. I can buy a sci-fi garage kit for that much :deadhorse1: But if it's got enough extras I will consider.

I am kinda sick of eduard. Never had much luck with their kits. But they are hard to pass up with the level of detail, photoetch and price. I am better at painting then assembly so I usually stick to T or H :bandhead2: (That's why I am scared to start the PCM). Even Edurads emil's have given me trouble. The least amount of trouble I have had was their F6F. I did make the mistake of buying two of their Wurger's though. One is scrapped the other still in the box. They are always a pracice in patience.

I do like 1/32 though. And since I have a bigger house I have endless room to display :whistle: Easier to paint and the mottling is great to spray. Looking forward to some sprue shots of the Tamiya IX

Do these 1/32 Tamiya kits have photo etch? belts etc? I am not one for scratchbuilding.

According to Marcus Nichols (Editor Tamiya Magazine) it has a etch set and a full engine with panels that are .4 mm thick. He posted this over at Hyperscale.

Here is what he had to say:

Folks,

This new Spitfire looks like it will be rather special - and yes, as the editor of Tamiya Magazine, one might say "you would say that", but I really do think it looks nice. It has an amazing looking Merlin engine with .4mm thick cowlings with parts for early and late types, rounded and clipped wings, rounded and pointed rudder, early/late wheels and decent size sheet of PE, plus a ton of other features. I can't post any pics yet, but will do as soon as I can.

I can't wait to get started!

Cheers,

Marcus

TMMI

Hi,

This just gives me more options. I have a PCM kit that I have started, and can now build it as a Mk IXc with early carb and regular horned elevators. I have a Mk IXe from PCM with the RB Productions Mk XIV conversion. Lets not forget about PCM's kit with the Cammett lowback conversion, which allows us to do a Mk XVI lowback/bubble top Spit! With Tamiya coming out with theirs, perhaps I can do a Mk VIII with it, but will have to see what engine Tamiya includes, and whether or not a retractable tail wheel is offered. I can handle the short ailerons myself. Or perhaps a Mk XVI highback can be built from the new Tamiya kit. My only hope is that the shape and dimensions are replicated well.

So many nice choices for us :taunt:

Cheers

Brad

.... and still we wait for a state of the art 1/32 P-51D. Do I hear the mill ginning up at Hasegawa??

:crying:

I like Spits. Really I do. But aside from Dark Green and Ocean Grey over MSG, or Dark Earth and Mid Stone over whatever, what's one to do with a Spit IX? It's not as if every air force on the planet flew them, nor that they flew from WWII into the 1980s (both of which you can say about the Mustang). C'mon Hasegawa, you know you want to do a Mustang!

J

.... and still we wait for a state of the art 1/32 P-51D. Do I hear the mill ginning up at Hasegawa??

Hasegawa is not doing a new tool P-51... I can tell you that for a fact. But there is another Japanese company that is doing one... the name of company is not coming to me...