You guys are nuts.

Oh, yes! It's hard to keep sane in this crazy modeling world. :wacko:

What else can I add? Well, the madness must go on!

A couple in-progress pics of APU-470. The rails are to be narrower than the actual scaled size so as to fit the missiles' latches.

51947-cc5c4-24772394-m549x500.jpg51947-23dd3-24772398-m549x500.jpg

And a couple of pics of APU-73-1D (P-72-1D), now updated. Being properly resin cast it can fit both Mig-29 and Su-27. ;)

51947-4159c-24772310-m549x500.jpg

Well, speaking about madness I can add that I quite realise that it's absolutely unnecessary adding slots on the screw heads but it's so tempting and looks so nicely that I can't resist... :lol:

51947-03231-24772311-m549x500.jpg

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander.

:cheers:

Well, speaking about madness I can add that I quite realise that it's absolutely unnecessary adding slots on the screw heads but it's so tempting and looks so nicely that I can't resist... :coolio:
Dude!

That looks sweet!

And yes, you are crazy...

Are you gluing thin discs of plastic on the surface or drilling holes and inserting rod to get the raised rivets? Or is it a 'trade secret'?

:)

Dude!

That looks sweet!

And yes, you are crazy...

Are you gluing thin discs of plastic on the surface or drilling holes and inserting rod to get the raised rivets? Or is it a 'trade secret'?

:worship:

Thanks and yes, I am. :coolio:

"Trade secret'? No, not at all. I've been drilling holes and inserting stretched sprue as shown on the pic below.

51947-23adc-21221818-m549x500.jpg

That's it. :) Inserting the rod into the holes is the best way out to achieve nice result with no glue residue round the screw heads and 'eaten off' plastic area adjacent to the heads.

Cheers!

Alexander.

:yahoo:

"Trade secret'? No, not at all. I've been drilling holes and inserting stretched sprue as shown on the pic below.
Thanks for sharing Alexander.

You do some very clean work...

Looking forward to seeing more.

Progress has been slow lately with lots of interuptions but I have managed to get most of the guts of the AKU-470 finished:

AKU470_4.jpg

The forward latch and additional forward details should go quickly.

The brass rod pictured will be supplied as a separate cast resin part.

:D

:D Wow! Chris, I'm really enthralled. The pylon looks stunning, smasing, outstanding...top notch..what else...ah, no words...speechless...

But may I ask you, how do you manage to cast it? Do you mean to cast that brass actuator as a separate part?

Cheers!

Alexander.

:woot.gif: Wow! Chris, I'm really enthralled. The pylon looks stunning, smasing, outstanding...top notch..what else...ah, no words...speechless...

But may I ask you, how do you manage to cast it? Do you mean to cast that brass actuator as a separate part?

Cheers!

Alexander.

:explode:

Ah, well... I was simply stunned by image of the pylon that missed your explanation on the brass rod below. :doh:

Now I can see that.:)

Cheers!

Well, I think I can post some images of my more modest work. :explode:

APU-470 is eventually finished.

51947-c9559-25029076-m549x500.jpg

51947-c47f4-25029082-m549x500.jpg

51947-d54e0-25029080-m549x500.jpg

And finally, a couple of images of the pylon with AA-10 body hanged on.

No glue required to fix the missile, just insert the rails into the latches and slid the missile toward the pylon's fore end.:doh:

51947-07475-25029084-m549x500.jpg

51947-03b65-25029085-m549x500.jpg

That's it.

Alexander.

:woot.gif:

No glue required to fix the missile, just insert the rails into the latches and slid the missile toward the pylon's fore end.

Alexander,

Here it is excellent!

And durabilities of resin latches will be enough? Latches under missile weight will not be broken off?

Alexander,

Here it is excellent!

And durabilities of resin latches will be enough? Latches under missile weight will not be broken off?

Privet, Oleg!

No, of course not. The latches are strong enough, beleive me. :worship:

The rails also suppose to be of suficient strength to bear the missile weight, unless it's not made of a lead. ;)

But I think Chris would hardly use molten lead to cast the missiles. :rofl:

Alexander.

Ah, those missile rail internal details bring back fond memories Chris. You're doing a cracking job on those beauties buddy.

:lol:

Well, I think I can post some images of my more modest work.

No glue required to fix the missile, just insert the rails into the latches and slid the missile toward the pylon's fore end.

That's it.

Alexander.

WoW!! :rolleyes:

Not so modest Alexander. Just superb. :cheers:

I notice that you have left the missile rail to pylon mounts blank. Are you planning to model the rails as removable from their stub pylons too?

Also, do I understand that you plan to create the stub pylons for both Su-27 and MIG-29 airframes?

Splendid work gents, keep it up. :salute:

;)

Not so modest Alexander. Just superb. :bandhead2:

I notice that you have left the missile rail to pylon mounts blank. Are you planning to model the rails as removable from their stub pylons too?

Also, do I understand that you plan to create the stub pylons for both Su-27 and MIG-29 airframes?

Splendid work gents, keep it up. :)

Hi Guy! Tnx for the appreciation.

No, I actually don't plan to make the 'rails' to be removable. I mean, no holes in the slots to insert the pin while fixing them on the airframe. The pylon's supposed to be glued to the stubs. But the idea to make them removable is very nice.:yahoo:

I keep in mind mastering stub pylons for Mig-29 only hoping that Chris will make ones for Su-27.

Cheers!

Alexander.

:woot.gif:

No glue required to fix the missile, just insert the rails into the latches and slid the missile toward the pylon's fore end. ;)
The resin I use is pretty tough but the latches can be accidentally snapped off (ask me how I know!).

Another issue is paint. There is a possibility of the paint being scaped off when taking the missiles on and off.

The other problem with paint is that it will add an additional thickness that might make the missiles more difficult to remove and that extra tightness might lead to accidentally breaking the latches.

The other issue is the tiny slot on the missile latches. It has proven to be very difficult to cast this slot, the problem being that the tiny flap of RTV mold tears off after only a few castings.

I considered filling the slot on the master pattern but the RTV has been tearing off pretty clean leaving a smooth surface so I decided to leave the patterns as-is.

The problem though is that some might receive parts with that slot filled in.

You could carefully cut a slot if you receive one with a solid latch...

Because of this and the fact that the resin isn't indestructible, I am going to recommend in the instructions that file away some material from the latches and rail to allow the missiles to fit.

I also suggest on the missile instructions that you can drill a small hole and insert wire to pin the missiles in-place. The wire is an added support if you glue the missiles but done carefully you can keep the wire tight and allow the missiles to be removable.

True, the pylon will have a tiny hole there that shouldn't be present on the real thing, but unless you are entering it that way in a contest it shouldn'e be a big distraction.

Using this method will allow all of the missiles to be removable, not just the two on the APU-470s...

It sure is a cool little feature that Alexander has cleverly integrated. That's some precision model making!

AKU-470 is finished!

AKU470_5.jpg

Fortunately some of the guts can be seen even with the missile in place.

AKU470_6.jpg

Now I have to make the stub pylons for installation below the intakes.

The stubs will molded directly on the pylons.

There will be pylon sets available for both the Su-27 and MiG-29, Each will be tailoered to fit the Trumpeter kits. The Revell MiG-29 might require that you fill the kit holes and drill new ones to mount the pylons.

:whistle:

Top notch, Chris! You've made a great thing, so crisp, flawless and acurate if ever there was. Awesome craftsmanship and I can say that you really surpassed yourself.

Congrats! For now the Zactomodels' bar had been raised very, very high. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Keep up your stunning work!

Cheers!

Alexander.

Алехандр,

не перехвалите парня, а то он от гордости в запой уйдёт... ;-) :D

Он славный парень и звездная болезнь с последующим запоем ему не грозит. :)

А похвала, согласись, вполне заслуженная.

Cheers!

Alexander.

:tease:

Cheers!

Alexander.

:tease:

Kashdaja sekunda i strotchka. :D

I am still amazed that you can actually connect the missile like in real life, just in 1/32 scale. It just tell alot about how accurate those two items are.

PS: Those items are so "clean" btw, i dont see superglue any places. I guess you guys are using very thin superglue?

Edited by Berkut
I am still amazed that you can actually connect the missile like in real life, just in 1/32 scale. It just tell alot about how accurate those two items are.

PS: Those items are so "clean" btw, i dont see superglue any places. I guess you guys are using very thin superglue?

Hi Berkut!

Tnx for the post. Superglue? No superglue at all. As for me, I use plastic 'friendly' to the usual modeling glue. You can see no residue of glue? Hah! May I tickle my vanity by saiyng that no glue spots is a high craftsmanship manifestation?... :worship: :D

Alexander.

:worship:

Алехандр,

не перехвалите парня, а то он от гордости в запой уйдёт... ;-) :beer4:

Он славный парень и звездная болезнь с последующим запоем ему не грозит. :)

Kashdaja sekunda i strotchka. :jaw-dropping:

Say what??? :cop:

Спасибо, я думаю ... :jaw-dropping:

Say what??? :blink:

Спасибо, я думаю ... :)

I may aswell reveal our plan: To secretly steal you so we can extract DNA from you. Since you apparently have no hair (sorry! :shoot: ) we need to give you buble gum. Then we can make a clone of you, and he will make us Su-33 convection set. :) *evillaughter*

The "secret" part of that plan is kinda not secret anymore... :thumbsup:

Since you apparently have no hair (sorry! :worship: ) we need to give you buble gum.

I didn't get it until I remember a story from back in the days when Britney Spears was neither crazy nor knocked up. Someone was trying to sell a piece of used bubble gum (on ebay) apparently chewed by Britney because it has her DNA in it.

Terry

I may aswell reveal our plan: To secretly steal you so we can extract DNA from you. Since you apparently have no hair (sorry! :crying2: ) we need to give you buble gum. Then we can make a clone of you, and he will make us Su-33 convection set. :worship: *evillaughter*

The "secret" part of that plan is kinda not secret anymore... :beer4:

I didn't get it until I remember a story from back in the days when Britney Spears was neither crazy nor knocked up. Someone was trying to sell a piece of used bubble gum (on ebay) apparently chewed by Britney because it has her DNA in it.

Terry

:rofl: It becomes very entertaining! Well, any other proposals to steal DNA? ;)

Cheers!

Alexander.