U-Boat Captain.....

Hi guy's,

I've been in a bit of a slump modelling Aircraft latetly, so for a change of pace I usually do a Figure or two.

Here is my latest one, a 90mm Andrea Figure of U-Boat Captain....I usually do modern Military subjects, but when I saw this one at a show last year I picked it up.

Really good for a change of pace.

Please note:, I have only done this Figure with a Figure Modellers eye for a subject, in no way am I putting this guy up on some sort of Pedestal or something.

Anyway on to some pics,

IMG_9351copy.jpg

I didn't like the weak White Metal Railing Mount that came with it so I made another one out of Brass Rod and Soldered it together,

IMG_3038m.jpg

IMG_3047m.jpg

Test Fitting

IMG_3056m.jpg

IMG_3063m.jpg

I wanted to paint the wood grain of the seat then sponge on some Maskol then overpaint it with the Grey and rub the Maskol off to reveal the wood grain underneath in a paint chipped effect, overkill I know, but I like the effect. :)

IMG_9002m.jpg

Base Coats and start of Painting,

IMG_8979mm.jpg

Trousers and Boots done,

IMG_9046m.jpg

Edited by Gambler

Thanks very much for the comments fellas!! :jaw-dropping:

Very fine work, Jeff. One of the best figure painting and shading jobs I've ever seen.

Thanks a lot John, but I'm still a novice, there are a lot of Figure Painters out there that have skills that are beyond words. :woo: ......thanks again for the kind words!

WOW... simply stunning. What medium did you use?

-Greg

Thanks Greg, I'm glad you like it! :woo: ........I painted it with Oils and Enamels over the top of Acrylic Basecoats.

Thanks guy's,

Cheers,

Jeff.

Hi Jeff,

My apologies for getting here late to the party. I've meant to add a comment since you first posted this beautiful little vignette but it slipped my mind until now..., sorry. :cheers:

Thanks a lot John, but I'm still a novice, there are a lot of Figure Painters out there that have skills that are beyond words.

Cheers,

Jeff.

You're too modest for your own good mate. You appear to have achieved a very, very high standard on this piece.

Cripes...it's superb!! :jaw-dropping:

There are so many details to look at. I'm enormously impressed by your attention to things like the scuffing on his leather boots, the worn paint on the seat and fresh rust on the weld lines of the railing. All neat touches that add to the overall composition.

You also seem adept at creating the texture and shading in the folds of clothing without overdoing the effect. Subtlety shines through and your model is so much the better for it. In addition to that, I think you have dealt with the figures' face with consumate skill. So much life and character........... excellent!!

I enjoyed looking at this immensely so thank you for taking the time to share. :yahoo:

(If you have any larger images that you could post a link to I'd appreciate a closer look)

Let's see some more of these if you do any others please.

Cheers,

:yahoo:

Thanks a lot for the comments Guy, Holmes, Gregg and Kalashnikov-47 B)

Hi Jeff,

My apologies for getting here late to the party. I've meant to add a comment since you first posted this beautiful little vignette but it slipped my mind until now..., sorry. :doh:

You're too modest for your own good mate. You appear to have achieved a very, very high standard on this piece.

Cripes...it's superb!! :)

There are so many details to look at. I'm enormously impressed by your attention to things like the scuffing on his leather boots, the worn paint on the seat and fresh rust on the weld lines of the railing. All neat touches that add to the overall composition.

You also seem adept at creating the texture and shading in the folds of clothing without overdoing the effect. Subtlety shines through and your model is so much the better for it. In addition to that, I think you have dealt with the figures' face with consumate skill. So much life and character........... excellent!!

I enjoyed looking at this immensely so thank you for taking the time to share. :salute:

(If you have any larger images that you could post a link to I'd appreciate a closer look)

Let's see some more of these if you do any others please.

Cheers,

:cheers:

Thanks again Guy, much appreciated ..... yeah mate trying to keep it all subtle but still having enough contrast to stand out is very challenging, this was the first time I have worked with Dark Blue and I can see now why it is dreaded by many Figure Modellers, very hard colour to get looking right and with oil paint, very hard to flatten it down.

The face could use a bit more contrast with the highlights and shadows, but I'll work on that a bit more next time.

Thanks again fellas,

Jeff.

Edited by Gambler