Philippines AF F-8 Crusader

As the title says above. I'm looking for photos of F-8 Crusaders in Philippines Air Force markings for a possible project, even if they are wrecked up disused Crusaders lying in a heap!.

Many thanks.

Wrecked and lying in a heap you say? I can do that:

01100010.jpg

01100011.jpg

01100012.jpg

01100013.jpg\

I think I have a few more, let me do a little searching,

Hoops

Found a few more, Sorry to say that's all that I've got. In case anybody is wondering about the very faded US markings on the aircraft, its from when they got a temporary repaint to be used in "Thirteen Days." The weather wore most of that off, but a hint of the US roundels can still be seen.

01160029.jpg

01160030.jpg

01160031.jpg

01160032.jpg

Hope this helps,

-Hoops

I've been wanting to do one of those in 1/72 for years. I got this pic in 07 on a visit to the PAF Museum. There was a 50th Anniversary book put out about ten years ago and it has several photos and a few colour profiles. If you get in touch with IPMS Philippines BAC they can probably help out. I met them during my visit and they are a good bunch of guys and gals

2007-04-20_0115.jpg

Hope this helps

Wayne

Edited by Wayne

The have a few IA 63 Pampas but that's it for jets. All of the F-5s were retired quite a while ago now. A few F-5s were sitting around in the hangars next to these F-8s, in better, but still really bad condition.

-Hoops

Didn't PAF 'Saders carry a two-tone Ghost Grey wraparound scheme? I thought I saw some.

EDIT:

Found a pic:

http://gator.crouze.com/images/f-8p_phil.jpg

EDIT EDIT:

It seems the wraparound scheme is actually Glossy Dark Gray (FS15327) and Glossy Neutral Gray (FS16320)

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/812/107/0

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/812/107/0/1

Edited by JackMan

Ouch! Philippine F-8's used to be a dime a dozen on Airliners.net. It would seem Airliners has lost a bit of content.

Edit: I don't mean that as a snarky, backhanded remark about an obvious search. I thought I'd be able to produce at least a dozen links in as many minutes--but they aren't there any more! :thumbsup:

Edited by Irving Babbitt
Found a few more, Sorry to say that's all that I've got. In case anybody is wondering about the very faded US markings on the aircraft, its from when they got a temporary repaint to be used in "Thirteen Days." The weather wore most of that off, but a hint of the US roundels can still be seen.

01160029.jpg

01160030.jpg

01160031.jpg

01160032.jpg

Hope this helps,

-Hoops

:thumbsup::woot.gif::rolleyes:

Oh my God..

Thats actually worse than seeing a Tomcat get taken apart.

No Pampas. They fly Aermacchi S-211s. They look similar so its easy to be mistaken. :thumbsup:

Yeah, you're right, that's what I get for going from memory. I really should have pulled out the article from the IAPR about the Philippine Air Force before I posted.

Cheers,

-Hoops

Edit: I don't mean that as a snarky, backhanded remark about an obvious search. I thought I'd be able to produce at least a dozen links in as many minutes--but they aren't there any more!

No sweat - I know what you mean. I was disappointed with the lack of Phil F-8 photos on airliners.net (I think there are 2...). I have emailed IPMS Philippines and also found a walkround on their website of what looks to be a museum example with the pale grey c/s. The photos you guys have found are really excellent but, as people have said, very sad. I really like the two-tone early 80's scheme and I think it's that which I'm more interested in. I remember seeing a few pics a long time ago (on the web) of a line of two-tone F-8's not long after they had gone out of service - wish I had downloaded the pics at the time, but hey-ho!

Keep 'em coming, and thanks for all your help.

F-84.jpg

F-85.jpg

F-86.jpg

F-88.jpg

I'd like to build a 1/32 Phil AF Crusader sometime in the future, and I hope more decals come out in the future in both 1/48 and 1/32nd.

The Phil AF retired their F-5s, brought a few back, and then retired them again for good. I like their F-5s, especially in Blue Diamond markings. One of the reasons I hope someone comes out with a decent F-5A in 1/48 and 1/32 in the future.

As mentioned above, the S-211s were flown as trainers for a long time, but since the retirement of the F-5s, they've taken on other roles as well. OV-10s (ex USAF) came in ~1992 to replace their T-28s. They still fly them, and have even upgraded some of them. Other aircraft include the T-41, SF-260, MG-520, S-76, UH-1, and the C-130. I think they had 3 or 4 Hercules at one point, but one crashed a few years ago, and I think only one is still operational today.

They've certainly strayed from the days when they had one of the most modern air forces in the region. They used to be described as "the USAF operated by Filipinos"

Edited by Keith Diamond

Hello Friends,

I am running after the same project for a while. I started to work on the camo pattern first. It seems like PAF adopted Corsair European 1 Scheme for their Crusaders with two tone grays.

I haven't seen any pictures from the underside, but I believe it won't be wrong if I complete the pattern with the European 1 scheme underside.

Currently I am working on markings, I will present them on the drawings as soon as possible, in the mean time I would be thankful for any kind of contributions.

Best

Omer ERKMEN

From TURKEY

F-8hSides.jpg

F-8HTOPview.jpg

• 1 month later...

I made a F-8 in the colours of the PAF last year, I wish I had some of these pictures back when I was grappling with the camouflage scheme. It seems I got it correct in the end

I posted some pics in the insiration thread for the A-7/F-8 GB

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=196005

As for wing insignia, I made it the same size as the fuselage insignia, which I calculated from a colour profile, they are on the port top and starboard below (just like USAF)