Which 1/72 B-17G kit?

No. I think the confusion comes from the 1970s, when some Hasegawa kits (including the B-17G) were released under the label "Hasegawa/Minicraft." That company is long gone. The current Minicraft is the former partner of Academy/Minicraft, which was a completely different outfit. People often use the Academy and Minicraft names interchangably, but the two companies split up some time ago and are now separate entities. When they split, Academy took the B-17 molds, and Minicraft kept the B-B-24 molds. I believe the current Airfix B-17G boxing is also a rebox of the Academy kit. Trying to track the history of some of these model kits and companies starts to sound like the Da Vinci Code after awhile!

The Hasegawa and Academy B-17Gs each have their strengths and weaknesses. The Hasegawa kit has raised panel lines, and no option for an open bombay (which wouldn't matter if your building a firefighting aircraft) but is generally accurate (although the tail gunner's canopy is a little undersized.)

The Academy B-17G has engraved panel lines and optional open bombay, but it also has a few glitches. The wing has too much dihedral, and the leading edge intakes are molded either as shallow rectangular depressions or missing entireley. The tail gunner's station is molded in two halves, giving you an ugly seem down the middle of the glass. The nose cap is also the longer, more pointed style glazing of the B-17F. Fortunately, Sqadron makes vacuform replacements for both.

Both kits have reasonably detailed cockpits and nose compartments for the scale, but niether has a radio room, leaving a big empty space visible through the dorsal window.

SN

Edited by Steve N
Both kits have reasonably detailed cockpits and nose compartments for the scale, but niether has a radio room, leaving a big empty space visible through the dorsal window.

SN

Not to mention the lack of detail in the waist gun areas on both kits.

Regards,

Murph

IIRC, the latest boxing of the B-17G by Airfix is from the Academy moulds.

Leasing of mould, as the old Airfix G mould was 'past it'!

The Matchbox kit wasn't bad, just keep a tube of your favorite filler handy!

Upshot is, buy the best YOU can afford.

:jaw-dropping:

Paul

Ancient Airfix B-17G - as others have inferred, forget this kit.

Airfix_B17_A-Bit-O-Lace.jpg

Academy SB-17G. This kit contains all the plastic for a bomber B-17G, or there are bomber kits without the lifeboat.

I reduced the diledral, it can look silly without modification. This is the basis for the latest Airfix kit.

I think I should have opened up the engine cowings a bit as well.

Academy_SB17G_Rescue.jpg

Hasegawa, F rather than G - but it's the only one I've built so far. I've got a Has B-17G in the stash.

Hasegawa_B17F_MemphisBelle.jpg

I can't remember or see if this is raised panel lines, but is my favourite B-17 kit.