Anyone have pictures of the L-39's tested by the USAF. I've only been able to come up with a few from the web. I'm mainly looking for the markings and data stencils.

Thanks,

Rob

I've seen privately owned L-39's painted up as USAF aircraft. When did the USAF test them?

Steve

Rob:

I supplied some of the reference shots to Vince (VM Decals) that he used to develop his decal sheet. I happen to have one of my photo scans (this was taken pre-digital) on my hard drive that I had not deleted. Here's my photo that I shot at Edwards:

EAFBL39MikeIdacavage2003.jpg

Hope this helps! Good luck with your project, I hope to do this same scehme someting in the future!

Mike

:nanner:

Edited by Mike J. Idacavage

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that I was only able to photograph this Albatros as it taxied to/from the active runway so I was unable to get any close up detail shots. The USAF only flew the L-39 for a short period of time under an evaluation program at their Test Pilot School. I recall that they may have had a max of 3 L-39s.

Mike

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that I was only able to photograph this Albatros as it taxied to/from the active runway so I was unable to get any close up detail shots. The USAF only flew the L-39 for a short period of time under an evaluation program at their Test Pilot School. I recall that they may have had a max of 3 L-39s.

Mike

Another L-39 Albatros tested by USAF ?

135_3588.JPG

The L-39s were part of a project in 2003 to evaluate whether a significant cost savings could be achieved in the TPS curriculum by using a "turn-key" aircraft provided by a contractor. There were 3 L-39s, provided by Teton Aviation. It was ultimately decided not to go this route, but the L-39s occasionally still appear at TPS as part of the syllabus where the TPS students use there developing skills to evaluate an "unfamiliar" aircraft.

Some of the other "unfamiliar" aircraft used are an HU-16, an SNJ and a Mig-15U.