Matchbox Madness GB to be officially annual event?

Matchbox Madness annual event date  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Duration and time?

• Six Months (March to August)
    • Three Months (March to May)
    • I am too random, no fixed dates

Gents

Do we make the Matchbox Madness GB officially an annual ARC event with fixed dates?

I will naturally need to discuss this with Steve Filak but lets see what everyone thinks first.

:monkeydance:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

I don't know what to vote. Personally it depends on the 'value' of a kit. I wouldn't do any extensive scratchbuilding work on a P-51, Spitfire or any Matchbox kit when there are better alternative kits. So three months. I'd be more involved in a Gnat, Privateer, Victor, Skynight. So six months. Argh.

I voted 3 months. I would go for 2 months, with new entries closed after 1 month.

I regard this GB as antidote for AMS, with more emphasis on activity and completion that accuracy.

I try to build close to OOB as I can.

If someone can't finish a Matchbox kit in 3 months, how much are they going to achieve in 6? Progress is not linear.

I wouldn't really want this GB every year either - when it could be regarded as a soap series.

Consider alternating it with Airfix, with the same guidelines.

I voted for 3 months as well, in order to more closely stick to what I imagine is the "spirit" of a Matchbox kit from "the good old days"...buy it with spare change, build it (maybe without painting it because it's molded in several colors!) in an afternoon, and put it on the shelf!

:woot.gif:

Mike

Excellent idea!

Heller too perhaps ? and Frog/Novo (unless they are too rare and are considered as collector kits... still I have Mirage IIIE, a Meteor F8 and a Swordfish that are asking to be built since it's marked 'model kit' on the boxes) ? there's a French forum with a permanent 'GB nostalgie' (no translation needed). Perhaps something vaguely similar could be done.

Edited by Laurent
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for participating in the poll.

I will need to think about what the nest way forward is.

Per year is certainly my preferred option but I understand the monotony issue. Alternating it with an Airfix/Heller GB has much merit based on how successful the Heller GB was from a couple of years back.

The six month option regardless of frequency is the clear winner with over 50% of the vote, btw.

Cheers and thanks

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Giving some consideration to the "nostaglia" aspect of these GB's, I believe the best way forward is a year on, year off approach. So one year Matchbox Madness and the other year "The Airfix Archive" (includes Heller)

So I will open up this thread again for comments.

Giving some consideration to the "nostaglia" aspect of these GB's, I believe the best way forward is a year on, year off approach. So one year Matchbox Madness and the other year "The Airfix Archive" (includes Heller)

So I will open up this thread again for comments.

great idea Johno :banana: