So, what special build have you done for your wife or girlfriend?

A few months ago, as I was leafing through my decal collection in the hope of being inspired, my wife asked me to build a model for her. The first thought I had was oh no, then I asked what type of plane she wanted? She said that I got to pick whatever I wanted to build, YEAH. But there was a catch, it had to be pink and I had to be serious, nothing cartoony. I figured since she supports me when I am working on a model for myself, this was not a problem.

So a plan was launched. I figured I would build an F/A-18B or D, as I plan to make her the pilot and her favorite stuffed bear in the back seat. I am going to make it a two-tone pink paint job. With the darker pink on the upper surfaces and the lighter pink on the lower surfaces. I will also be using the Fujimi 1:72 Legacy Hornet for the kit. Since I have never built this kit, I figured it would be a good way to see how it goes together.

Edited by Matt Shropshire

I built a kit of the her family's old car, the first one that she ever learned to drive on. It was an Airfix kit of the Citroen 2CV, and I have since then picked up the much much nicer Tamiya kit of the same (not built yet though). I had to do some custom paint mixing and modifying, to even include making a dent in the correct spot on the fender. In the end the whole family was so excited that they didn't want to let her take out of the house after the Christmas holiday was over.

-Hoops

I sometimes involve her in deciding what t build and what markings also. I have alos been planning a surpise for her. I want to build a WW2 style warbird (P-51 or P-38), done in a BMF, and Id get some decals done as nose art with her name "Cheryl Lynn" in two tone light blues..

Well not exactly FOR her but more like WITH her. You see, my bride has been in the hospital something over 1,600 days over the last 14 years with her Crohn's disease, cancer and everything alse. Well she was in the Lahey Clinic outside of Boston back in 1994 I think it was, for 18 days straight. I commuted every day back and forth the 200 miles to be with her. During that time she slept a lot so I decided to pass the time building a model. I built a 1/72 scale FW-190 Nachtjager right there in the hospital room. I loaded up all my tools in a Plano tackle box along with the model. I painted everything except the exterior with water based paints so there were no fumes. The nurses were great, even getting any little item I needed once in a while. I airbrushed the exterior at night at home in my workshop. I even made a little jig up there to get all the antenna parts lined up perfectly. And at the end of her stay it was done. Even got a couple of first place placques with the darn thing!

She always remembers that littel model! And so do I.

We visited the Smithsonian a couple of years ago, and the WWII exhibit was closed. She was bummed and exclaimed "what does a girl need to do to see a Spitfire around here?". That got some looks.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks later, we are at home and I am reading a book about WWII aircraft and she spots a PRU pink Spitfire IX. "Build that one for me" she says.

So I am now planning on doing an in flight display of a pink spitfire over a picture of the ground. Can't decide if it should be a pic of her neighborhood from around 15.000', or a WWII pic of the area the spit actually flew over.

My wife has had a love affair with the F-4 Phantom since before we were married. She saw her first one at Sheppard AFB, Texas, about a month before our wedding. About every third or fourth model that I build is an F-4 and she claims all of them as "hers". If we need extra space around the house, she says that I can throw out any of the models except "her F-4s".

Darwin

A P-51D called "Lady Marion" (342nd FS, 348th FG, Phillipines).

She likes dragons, and suggested I model a dragon of two - that means to me: anything from VF/VA/VFA-192 "Golden Dragons", the A-37 Dragonfly, a U-2 "Dragon Lady", F-80 "Saggin' Dragon", a SAAB Draken ... well you get the idea.

She also likes Dakotas - I must get around to the Monogram one I've got in the loft!

Yes,

Yep, Wayne, you got a keeper. My wife became a Black Aces fan after she married me. :tease:

8225_165996335294_730735294_4076941_880357_n.jpg

A portrait of Heather (my wife otherwise known on this board as Animals_Woman) and my youngest son, Jamie.

As far as building a special build, I have no clue as to what to...yet. She likes F-14s. :taunt:

Edited by The_Animal
Yep, Wayne, you got a keeper. My wife became a Black Aces fan after she married me. :monkeydance:

A portrait of Heather (my wife otherwise known on this board as Animals_Woman) and my youngest son, Jamie.

As far as building a special build, I have no clue as to what to...yet. She likes F-14s. :rofl:

Adorable couple in the picture bud :monkeydance:

I have at least Three VF-41 birds I would like to do. Had the SU-22 killer but it is gone, so need another.

Other would be the bird from Iraq, Queen of Spades. Other would be the bird we saw at Quonset if I recall right back in 2000.

So that would make one for the 80s 90s and 00s.

She is also a Tomcat fan, so the VF-101 Demo birds are a must. Only Squadron she does not seam to like is VF/84-103.

Edited by Wayne S
Adorable couple in the picture bud :thumbsup:

I have at least Three VF-41 birds I would like to do. Had the SU-22 killer but it is gone, so need another.

Other would be the bird from Iraq, Queen of Spades. Other would be the bird we saw at Quonset if I recall right back in 2000.

So that would make one for the 80s 90s and 00s.

She is also a Tomcat fan, so the VF-101 Demo birds are a must. Only Squadron she does not seam to like is VF/84-103.

Ah...the Queen of Spades. That's a great one. Of course I'd be sleeping out in the storage shed for the next month if I bought the decal sheet. :) As I would be if I also bought the "Dirty Diana" F-16 decals. :banana:

I dunno...about VF-84/103. They do seem to be a bit ~whispers~ over done.

Ah...the Queen of Spades. That's a great one. Of course I'd be sleeping out in the storage shed for the next month if I bought the decal sheet. :) As I would be if I also bought the "Dirty Diana" F-16 decals. :banana:

I dunno...about VF-84/103. They do seem to be a bit ~whispers~ over done.

Long as they do not have Blond hair, I should be all set :thumbsup:

A Polar Lights "Lost in Space" Robot and Dr. Smith kit. Her Father built the Aurora Kit years ago and she wanted it to remember him.

Jim

I have built a couple models of Dusenburg cars for my wife as well as models of C-130s.

When I met her she was a Herk crewchief at Littlerock. It took a lot of work because she was scared of me at first because I was armed but eventually she came over to the dark side and now can do a decent job at the range. I even got her to not think of models as just toys.

My GF and I were once at Hobby Lobby, looking for a model I was going to build for a friend as a housewarming present. She was gawking at the 1/100 scale Tamiya kits and said, "You could build a Mig-21......I want a Mig-21." So a few days later I went back and bought the Mig kit. About a week later I was helping her hang it up in her room. Now she wants an MH-60 Blackhawk. On top of that, I'm also bulding for her an F-5E Tiger II, an F-4E Phantom and a SU-33. That should keep her satisfied, for a while anyway lol.

mine wants a model of the B-17 her dad flew on in WW2

I also have an F-4 with Niagara ANG markings, she's from Buffalo, so that will be for her

and she just "made" me buy a Pitts Special,,,,,so, it will be built for her, complete with a model of her standing on the penny that almost has to be in any pic of a 1/72 scale plane that small

Mine's a huge Blue Angels fan. So, 4 F-18 Blues in the diamond formation are hanging in the bedroom above her mirror. July 28th was our first human build, and last according to her. She said solo builds from now on :wub:

Edited by evilmedic13

Evilmedic, that's just waaaay too much info! :cheers:

I've done a few cars for my missus:

New BeetleThis was a christmas present when we first started dating. It's more to do with the pic on the side (She's a surfie)

DSCF0028.jpg

Bburago 1/18th kit, straight from the box. i made a set of personalized number plates with her name on them. She still reckons it's great :P

Porsche 356. She wants a 1/1 one of these (Were looking at replicas) and this was a build to check out the colour schemes she wants.

DSC02025.jpg

Again, Bburago 1/18th. I stripped it to bare metal, sanded all the moulding seams, primed and painted it in 2 Pak Black. The interior is flocked and painted to match her ideas, And i made a new instrument panel and converted in to RHD

Camaro. Damn GM and them not releasing this car down under!!!! Once again, built to see how the colours look.

DSC02084.jpg

Please excuse the pic quality. This is the AMT Camaro concept in 1/24th. Built from the box, Painted in Tamiya Candi Lime Green. Interior painted and flocked to match.

Good fun!

Denzil

My wife builds her own stuff, although I did make a set of 1/72 decals for Sue Parish's pink P-40N for her a few years ago Sshe still hasn't used them, but she wants me to make sets in 1/144 and 1/48 as well. Good thing I still have the artwork saved on disc. :bandhead2:

SN

09-08-07006.jpg