Polly Scale - clear flat

Hey all -

Has anyone had issues with Polly Scale clear flat finish leaving a whitish-milky appearance after it dries?

Maybe I have a bad bottle? or spraying too far away from the target?

Thanks!

Hey all -

Has anyone had issues with Polly Scale clear flat finish leaving a whitish-milky appearance after it dries?

Maybe I have a bad bottle? or spraying too far away from the target?

Thanks!

Sounds like it is drying before it hits the surface of the model. Try getting closer.

That happens to me almost every time I use the much hailed Polly Scale flat ("dead flat" is right; it's nearly killed several of my models). I've tried everything to avoid the frostiness, from shooting it straight out of the bottle to shaking and stirring it until my arm hurt to thinning it with anything I could find under the kitchen sink. I'm convinced the stuff just isn't made all that well. I'm going to try tamiya flat base with future on my next build.

In your case, once it's on and dried--and your model looks like it's been sitting outside in mid-January--shoot it with a few light coats of the semi-gloss coat (not dead flat, not super glossy). That should take away the frosted appearance. Then what I do is combine semi-gloss and flat to make what I call "semi-flat." It isn'"dead flat" but it will still tone down the finish.

That's just my very opinionated two cents.

-David

Thanks guys... I appreciate the feedback.

I was thinking I shooting too far away.... wasn't too humid when this happened. I've been using PS flat for years, and this is the first I've seen of this...I have other bottles..I'll give one of them a try.

Just a note: as I see a lot of people having this problem (and, believe me, I'm not judging anyone or their skills); PLEASE REPORT THE PROBLEM TO TESTORS! It may be that this problem can be fixed (perhaps easily) by the manufacturer, but they need to know about it before they can do anything. I would truly hate to lose the entire Polly Scale line because of a flawed batch of Clear Flat.

I've found the folks at Testors to be VERY helpful, and VERY anxious to make sure their products are up to snuff. Usually, if you get a bad bottle of Polly Scale, they'll replace it for you, requesting that you send what remains of the defective bottle back to them.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Thanks guys... I appreciate the feedback.

I was thinking I shooting too far away.... wasn't too humid when this happened. I've been using PS flat for years, and this is the first I've seen of this...I have other bottles..I'll give one of them a try.

By any chance, is it the red label bottle? I think it might not be the same formula Polyscale flat of the past (with green label). I noticed about 2 years back when I first used the red label bottle, I had the same issue. As mentioned above, I also threw everything including the kitchen sink solution, still the same problem recurring. After ruining 2 finished models and a bunch of test scraps, I decided enough - ain't worth the aggravations. I moved on to MM flat laquer and never had another frosting problem again. Sure it smells, but it is every bit as good, if not better than PS. It also slightly melted the decals to blend it perfectly into the paint.

Reg

Triet

Hey if I painted a model in semi-gloss or gloss paint then I put a Flat Clear Coat at the end. Will the model be flat or semi-glossy?

It would be flat. The finish will always be according to what you've applied last.

:wub:

Mike

By any chance, is it the red label bottle? I think it might not be the same formula Polyscale flat of the past (with green label). I noticed about 2 years back when I first used the red label bottle, I had the same issue.

Yes, it ws the PS red label bottle....I have gone thru several of these without an issue. I'm wondering if shelf life has something to do with it?