F-16 dilemma

Hello again. I am looking for excellent tomcats. I have two from Revell but have not put them together yet. What does everyone think about Tamiyas 1/32 scale F-16? Is it nice? How about Hasegawa F-16's? I read that early ones had a fit problem. Is that still the case? Also how about Academys 1/48 F-16 bombcat? I love F-16s but its tough to find some of them especially the F-16D.

Thanks,

Dan

Hello again. I am looking for excellent tomcats. I have two from Revell but have not put them together yet. What does everyone think about Tamiyas 1/32 scale F-16? Is it nice? How about Hasegawa F-16's? I read that early ones had a fit problem. Is that still the case? Also how about Academys 1/48 F-16 bombcat? I love F-16s but its tough to find some of them especially the F-16D.

Thanks,

Dan

Well, Tamiya's 1:32 F-16 is as good as it gets in F-16s period. Hasegawa's 1:32 F-16----------

Wait, you mean F-16 Fighting Falcons or F-14 Tomcats?

1:32 is not good for the F-14 as you either have to choose between Tamiya's raised-panel-line and outdated mold or..well, Tamiya's the best in that scale but it's a darned-if-you-do, darned-if-you-don't kind of thing.

Hasegawa's 1:48 F-14s are the cream of the crop for that scale, besting all other makes. Expensive and complex but very much worth the effort. Academy's F-14s are somewhat inaccurate in shape and have some issues with their tooling wearing out in a couple areas (very faded panel lines). But the Bombcat boxing is IMO worth it as it includes a sprue of extremely nice F-14A+/F-14B parts and bombs, as well as having an extrememly comprehensive decal sheet for not only the bombs, but the AAMs as well. Only Hasegawa and Revell make halfway decent Delta Tomcats (but even the Revell's need a few updates, see Darren Roberts). Though in 1:72 Fujimi's F-14D is the single best F-14 kit you can get in 1:72.

You may be confusing some people. The F-14 is the Tomcat. The F-16 is the Fighting Falcon or it's sometimes referred to as the Viper, I think. You are also mixing 1/48 and 1/32. I'll take a SWAG you wnat to know about 1/48 Tomcats and offer that Hasegawa is regarded as the best Tomcat based on engraved panel lines and detail. However the early Atlantic Fleet and Pacific Fleet boxings had fit problems with the intake that make many people give up and sell them. The Monogram/Revell kit is very accurate in shape, but it represents and early - but not the earliest - A version. It also assembles relatively easy and it's inexpensive. The latest F-14D boxing is a pretty nice, complete, kit. Hobby Boss is supposed to be making a new 1/48 Tomcat. If I wanted to pay more than the cost of the Monogram/Revell kit, I'd wait and see how that one looks.

Ooops. Yes I mean the F-14. I see that Tamiya has a 1/32 F-14 and was wondering about it. I was thinking about getting the 1/48 Bombcat from Academy but I am concerned about fit problems. I am a new modeler and being able to put something together OOB goes a long way with me. Also I hear a lot about Hasegawa being the most accurate and the best in some areas. But I also hear that they are a challenging build. What makes Hasegawa models so difficult? Can someone with a little experience put it together?

Thanks,

Dan