B-24 main undercarrage question

I'm planning on building a B-24D with the undercarrage retracted.

What leg detail is visable between the top of the door and the side of the nacelle?.

The monogram kit has cutouts molded into the side of the nacelle to acept the undercarrage legs when positioned down but what does this area look like with the gear retracted?

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD

It's difficult to find a clear photo of the area in question. Obviously, it's only visible when the gear is retracted, and most inflight shots aren't very clear, or the wing is in deep shadow. This is the clearest image I could find, and it doesn't show much. I'd just paint the area inside the openings black, and call it even.

SN

Ford04.jpg

I built this B-24 about thirty years ago, so it is some of my oldest work that I still have. The weathering is kinda heavy (we didn't have MIG Pigments back then!); I think I was trying to replicate the muddy conditions found down in places like Foggia, Italy.

What I did is use just half of the wheel and fit it up into the well (I didn't do anything with the upper part of the well). IIRC, I had to do some surgery to the strut and used only the little strut that angles off from the main.

DSC01867.jpg

Edited by Marv
I built this B-24 about thirty years ago, so it is some of my oldest work that I still have (the weathering is kinda heavy, but we didn't have MIG Pigments back then!).

What I did is use just half of the wheel and fit it up into the well (I didn't do anything with the upper part of the well). IIRC, I had to do some surgery to the strut and used only the little strut that angles off from the main.

I think I'll take the same route as you and add the little strut and then cut the main leg in half to fill the other space.

Probley not correct but without a detailed photo, who knows?

Shaun.

I can't recall where I got this, but it was posted online (either here or HyperScale) at some point, so apologies to the owner for not making a note of his name. It should do the trick though. IIRC this is a PB4Y-1.

J

B-24Belly.jpg

but why paint black? On the D model, being OD/NG, the wheel wells and the gear were all NG anyways

You're correct. I only suggested black because it would obscure the lack of detail inside the area. On the real aircraft, you'd see a bit of the underside of the wing, the hinge mechanism for the gear, and the various plumbing and ducting for the turbosupercharger, all of which you'd have to scratchbuild.

SN

• 2 weeks later...

Another undercarrage question,I'm I right in thinking that the main wheels don't lie flat with the bottom of the wing?

Are they angled slightly, hence the need for the large aerodynamic blisters behind the well.

Getting closer to painting now, Today I shot two paints from the rack over the kits green plastic-Humbrol 155 OD and Revell 74 grey

What do you think of these two togeather?, close enough match for the early ETO colours?

Libcolours.jpg

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD
Another undercarrage question,I'm I right in thinking that the main wheels don't lie flat with the bottom of the wing?

Are they angled slightly, hence the need for the large aerodynamic blisters behind the well.

Correct. When retracted, the main wheels are not flush with the bottom of the wing.

:thumbsup:

Mike