One of my never ending large scale figure projects

I have been working on this one on and off for some years now. It started with a Jaguar figure. I sculpted new arms and used some parts box hands, modified a Warriors helmet with correct Wehrmacht camo cover, and used a Verlinden head. The head is not the best, but its the only one I have that looks like he is speaking, and I think that important for the overall feel. I tell myself that I will try my hand at sculpting one of my own, but that's not happenin' anytime soon. The PPSH 41 Russian SMG came from another Warriors kit. It portrays a German Wehrmacht soldier in the early days of the fight for Stalingrad, when the weather was still warm and it looked like it might be a quick victory for them. With colder weather all that changed. He's still not done, but one day I will call him finished...

wehrmacht1.jpg

wehrmacht2.jpg

wehrmacht3.jpg

wehrmacht4.jpg

Jasom, you've shown tresse (braiding) around hiy collar, but none around his shoulder straps. This would mean his collar says sergeant, but shoulder straps say private. Other than that, it's a strikingly nicelt done figure. Great job on the helmet camo. Hal Sr

Thanks Hal,

There is actually a narrow piping around the shoulder boards, but it doesn't show up well in the photos, it just sort of looks like highlights. It is very faint, and is too narrow. I should probably add a little extra width with some putty the next time I am messing with him. I also need to add the sling for the PPSH, right now he's doing a remarkable job holding it one handed!

Thanks everyone for the comments

Actually, I noticed the narrow piping, and figured it must be white piping (about 1/8th inch in full size) indicating Infantry. The tresse (about 3/8 inch) would be on the inside of the branch of service piping, which is exactly on the edge of the strap. The tresse would be either dull auminum, or a very light gray. Oh,

on a field uniform, tha white branch of service piping would not surround the collar, just the tresse in the case of an NCO. For your info, branch of service color=waffenfarb. I have a lot of Germa uniform info on hand, and am more than willing to assist you. Hang up is the printed word, and I cannot scan. Hal Sr

Actually, I noticed the narrow piping, and figured it must be white piping (about 1/8th inch in full size) indicating Infantry. The tresse (about 3/8 inch) would be on the inside of the branch of service piping, which is exactly on the edge of the strap. The tresse would be either dull auminum, or a very light gray. Oh,

on a field uniform, tha white branch of service piping would not surround the collar, just the tresse in the case of an NCO. For your info, branch of service color=waffenfarb. I have a lot of Germa uniform info on hand, and am more than willing to assist you. Hang up is the printed word, and I cannot scan. Hal Sr

Thanks Hal,

Just doing a quick search on the web, I came across these, which I think is what I should shoot for (with white piping of course)

fgsilverncosb.jpg

The tress is molded into the collar of the figure, so without doing some pretty extensive damage to the paint to remove it, I need to make the shoulder boards match the collar. I have some reference, but most are SS related 'cause a lot of the figures on the market are SS and have the cool camo uniforms. Actually with this guy I didn't research the uniform at all, I just went ahead and painted it as Jaguar showed on their boxtop, just with a different color bandana.

Edited by JasonB
You've got it, Buddy. Hal Sr

I actually took a real close look at the collar on the figure last night, and what I originally saw as tresse is actually some heavy handed stitch lines, which this figure does have more of than some other figures in my pile. So my options are to get rid of the tresse painted on the collar and let him be a lowly private, or change the shoulder boards. I will think about it for another few months or so (which is about the my pace with this guy) then decide what to do.

Cheers

Jason

Just a little note:

PPSh-41 drum magazine were prone to jam,so the standard load for a conscript was one drum magazine with no more than 60 to 65 bullets and a 3 or more curved magazines as spare,I don't know if the germans with the captured guns used to do the same thing,if so the drum magazine pouch needs a workaround.

But since we are talking about a soldier's figure that fought in Stalingrad you can pass over this detail or just add a magazine pouch for curved magazines

Anyway nice work :o

Luigi