1/48 Eduard MIG-21 MF Bis SMT

I just have to say:

I really like how Eduard has handled the making, and the release of the kit. Yes, the kit has been under development for some time, but looking at the pictures, it shows. In terms of details, shapes and options. (different extra canopy's, great!) I like how the fans have been listened to, and the things that was pointed out has been corrected. And it is nice with all those updates etc on facebook. It is also good to have an Eduard representative here on ARC, not many companies do that.

So, i applaud Eduard, and wish them success. :whistle:

PS: And if Eduard decides to do MiG-23 family, then i will faint...

Edited by Berkut

Libor -

I have sent two emails regarding the excess charge I received on my credit card for the overtrees kit. I have not received a reply. Can you please have a look?

jrh at pemtel.net

Thanks!

I really like how Eduard has handled the making, and the release of the kit. Yes, the kit has been under development for some time, but looking at the pictures, it shows. In terms of details, shapes and options. (different extra canopy's, great!) I like how the fans have been listened to, and the things that was pointed out has been corrected. And it is nice with all those updates etc on facebook. It is also good to have an Eduard representative here on ARC, not many companies do that.

So, i applaud Eduard, and wish them success. :crying2:

I concure. I didn't like Eduard's behavior in the 1/32 Bf-109 canopy story and I was afraid when I read that they used a MiG-21ST as a model for the MiG-21bis. It seems to me that they changed their attitude toward the potential customers. They listen to them: Eduard is no toymaker, they make kits for demanding modellers.

I guess that Soviet-made plane fans want 1/48 1st and 2nd generation MiG-21 and MiG-23/25/27/29/31s. Perhaps you could create a voting topic ?

Personally I'm wondering if you plan to downscale the MF: in 1/72, the only MFs available are the KP and Plastyk kits...

Why not just do ALL of the Migs made after the -21 !!!

Seems obvious to me that it would work.

- Matt

Couldn't care less about a MIG...until NOW.....

I purchased the limited edition set from Eduard, and the facebook update is shear GENIUS!!!

Time is running out on the special offer folks, check their site for details.......the gear itself is a piece of art well worth the Eduard price....

New fan of BRASSIN!!! Great product!!

-Jim

For those that can't access Facebook, here are the remaining pics of the completed model that were posted yesterday:

184623_204554642892824_116570475024575_924928_2676302_n.jpg

185758_204554576226164_116570475024575_924925_3402802_n.jpg

184920_204554606226161_116570475024575_924926_1093191_n-1.jpg

185995_204554422892846_116570475024575_924921_2052745_n.jpg

BTW, I absolutely love that pre-painted PE. Hopefully this stuff will be present in the SMT kit as well.

John

I've browsed through the gallery to find Academy builds that I could compare with the FaceBook photographs. Here's one.

Istvan Zoldag"s build.

05.jpg

- the Academy nose looks a bit deeper and the top looks more rounded. Not good

- the Academy spine doesn't look deep enough (look in the rear cockpit wall area). Not good.

- Eduard wings look thinner perhaps ?

- the angle of the cone looks bigger in the Eduard kit. Good I think.

- it's not evident here but the Eduard canopy is bubble-shaped (good) while the Academy canopy is cylindrical (not good)

- no PVD boom kink in the Academy kit while it's there in the Eduard

Yeah the Eduard kit is more fishbedish to me.

Edited by Laurent
To the rest of you, I'm currently researching your opinions on future MiG production and will get back to you soon with some answers :)

A NEW "accurate" MIG-29 Family would be greatly appreciated! ...academy's 1/48 kit is the closer... (but)SO FAR!!!

A whole Flogger Family Also...

A NEW "accurate" MIG-29 Family would be greatly appreciated! ...academy's 1/48 kit is the closer... (but)SO FAR!!!

A whole Flogger Family Also...

Tbh, i think that Flogger should be first in line. Why?

Because although Academy kit is starting to show its age, it is still a decent kit. We don't have a decent kit of Flogger in 1/48.

Let's just hope that the MiG-21 sells like gangbusters and then we can hope for something more beyond the three we're getting. Personally, I'm going to start out hoping that it does well enough to keep them interested in releasing the bis down the line, since it's going to require a lot of new tooling.

Anything new and Soviet/Russian would be welcome. Floggers, updated Fulcrum, etc. But for now, let's just celebrate the success of the MiG-21, and hope that it does really well for them. We need 1st and 2nd gen MiG-21s as well!

I've browsed through the gallery to find Academy builds that I could compare with the FaceBook photographs. Here's one.

Istvan Zoldag"s build.

05.jpg

- the Academy nose looks a bit deeper and the top looks more rounded. Not good

- the Academy spine doesn't look deep enough (look in the rear cockpit wall area). Not good.

- Eduard wings look thinner perhaps ?

- the angle of the cone looks bigger in the Eduard kit. Good I think.

- it's not evident here but the Eduard canopy is bubble-shaped (good) while the Academy canopy is cylindrical (not good)

- no PVD boom kink in the Academy kit while it's there in the Eduard

Yeah the Eduard kit is more fishbedish to me.

Heres the real thing, look at the nose cone :

Mig-21-1.jpg

Thanks. Eduard again.

+100 on that.

Eduard,

If you could do this for the modern day russian jets (Migs, and Sukhoi's) then you will have solidified yourselves as the best of the best.

So what are you waiting for .... get to work :woot.gif:

- Matt

But Academy MF is more like a bis so no wonder they're totally different.

Tbh, i think that Flogger should be first in line. Why?

Because although Academy kit is starting to show its age, it is still a decent kit. We don't have a decent kit of Flogger in 1/48.

There's still too much aftermarket needed for the Academy MiG-29 (nose, cockpit, exhausts, missiles and their pylons), some of which is not available anymore (Sol R73 missiles with pylons, e.g.). And the MiG-23 might get scaled down to 1/48 by HobbyBoss. But, let's meet halfway.. how about a MiG-25? :thumbsup: (but I REALLY want a MiG-31)

I guess that Soviet-made plane fans want 1/48 1st and 2nd generation MiG-21 and MiG-23/25/27/29/31s. Perhaps you could create a voting topic ?

Personally I'm wondering if you plan to downscale the MF: in 1/72, the only MFs available are the KP and Plastyk kits...

And an Su-9/11 please.

Jon

But Academy MF is more like a bis so no wonder they're totally different.

"more like" yes but the spine isn't deep enough or not humped enough and the spine imprint on the fuselage is a hybrid between MF and bis. I've found a good photograph on Hunavia

photo15.jpg

05.jpg

"hybrid between MF and bis" ? the cylindrical canopy messes up the spine. The front part of the spine is way too wide and it give a MF look to the more-or-less bis spine

Hunavia real world bis

_lhpa_20070301_fv_541.jpg

Hunavia read world MF

photo16.jpg

Leonard Prakasam build... you can see there's no pinch at the rear canopy / front spine junction.

02.jpg

Frederico Kunz build

03.jpg

Edited by Laurent
I wonder if we will ever get to do the YF-110 version??

That would make an interesting conversation piece I believe.

Isn't the "YF-110 version" nothing more than a standard MiG 21F-13? If you are dying to do one, try to score the Neomega F-13 conversion on e-bay and have at it. Otherwise, give Eduard 2-3 years and see if they finally put one out.

Hopefully the Eduard bis isn't far away..

I hope so but the MF and SMT (only used by USSR but it has an important "coolness factor" because of the hunchback look) need to sell well first. I'll never forget the aborted Mirage family so I'm prepared for anything.

I hope so but the MF and SMT (only used by USSR but it has an important "coolness factor" because of the hunchback look) need to sell well first. I'll never forget the aborted Mirage family so I'm prepared for anything.

The SMT is tre' cool due to it's primary nuclear strike mission but with regard to your statement about it only being used by the USSR - Osprey's Middle-east MiG 19 & 21 Unit's in Combat mentions that Syria possessed "a few" SMT's for air defense duties in the early 80's. The book includes an anecdote about a section of Syrian SMT's being shot down by Israeli F-15's during the first days of the Lebanon conflict.

I wouldn't mind doing a Syrian SMT just for something a bit out of the ordinary.

John

Edited by 11bee
Osprey's Middle-east MiG 19 & 21 Unit's in Combat mentions that Syria possessed "a few" SMT's for air defense duties in the early 80's. The book includes an anecdote about a section of Syrian SMT's being shot down by Israeli F-15's during the first days of the Lebanon conflict.

I wouldn't mind doing a Syrian SMT just for something a bit out of the ordinary.

Are there photographs illustrating what the Osprey says ? Do they really mean SMT or rather ST (SMT with a bis spine) ?

...with regard to your statement about it only being used by the USSR - Osprey's Middle-east MiG 19 & 21 Unit's in Combat mentions that Syria possessed "a few" SMT's for air defense duties in the early 80's. The book includes an anecdote about a section of Syrian SMT's being shot down by Israeli F-15's during the first days of the Lebanon conflict.

I'd be very wary of any statement like that in an Osprey book. I've got correction lists for several Osprey titles put out by people who really know their stuff, and most of them are pages and pages long.

I've never seen a photo of any SMT with anything but a red star on it, and even then, they didn't last very long in service before being converted to essentially 'bis' status.

J