1/48 Eduard MIG-21 MF Bis SMT

Eduard Mig is totaly overrated... I'm building one right now, in box looks great but nightmare building it...Disapointed over Eduard...

If you hit the Airbrakes, the Mig will fly on by...

Seriously- one of the best fitting and Engineered kits ever hands down.

At first sorry that I that entering into discussions,but why some one buy Mig-21 from EDUARD and here write ,that is totaly wrong?? I don´t understand it.Yes the Mig-21 from Eduard isn´t right on 100% but which kit is totaly corect??

This discussion has 53 pages about EDUARDs Mig.How many of you realy try built it??How many of you have tried to build it?.

Martin

Edited by Bushek

At first sorry that I that entering into discussions,but why some one buy Mig-21 from EDUARD and here write ,that is totaly wrong?? I don´t understand it.Yes the Mig-21 from Eduard isn´t right on 100% but which kit is totaly corect??

This discussion has 53 pages about EDUARDs Mig.How many of you realy try built it??How many of you have tried to build it?.

Martin

because, like you, they can't help but expressing what they think! ...even if redundancy of that comment is as boring the kind of comments it denounce!

BTW it is a discussion forum.

This discussion has 53 pages about EDUARDs Mig.How many of you realy try built it??How many of you have tried to build it?

No kit is 100% correct and that's not the point.

This topic is huge. There are a lot of informations (including great photos) and expressed opinions in it. The following links could be useful.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=241224&view=findpost&p=2296466

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=241224&view=findpost&p=2296849

All I was saying, was my expirience building this Edu mig 21.

As I had said, I probably have bad molding nothing else! But some of you jumped like you own half of the Edu....

If there is one bad mold out, there must be others, and I think in time, several of other modelers will have similar problems.

Anyhow, Issues I had with step on the spine, that was sanded, some details where of course where lost,and I will have to rescribe them.

issue with the joint of fuselage to the spine was fixed with sheet of plastic and some puty.

bottom wing front part to fuselage fit was fixed with some sanding and some putty, ofcourse rescribing in mandatory on some lost panels

Mig is in coat of Mr.Surfacer from last sunday.

and yes I had build quite a number of medels before this one, and I also know how to read instructions, ans how to dry fit the parts..

and still for 50€ I had paid for this model I expected little more than I had recived in the box.

and no I'm not underminign anyones engineering work, for any reasons what so ever

( take that photo of spine - tail section, that was posted and take a look at 90 degrees take out caliper measure it and you will se the gap, on the model in pic it is about 0,5mm for sure )

regards..

Edited by Tomcat Fan

Well, if you didn't have a luck and you got a bad mold, you should contact the Eduard. As far as I know, they are ready to face complains and to solve these very fast. I am sure that Libor is going to act as soon as he read this. At least with this kind of problems, Eduard is very correct... AFAIK!

You were able to contact Eruard via mail or here on the forum and to explain your problem. Instead, you have started to yakking about badly engineered kit with huge fitting issues! Mistakes are always possible, but no need for bashing the company, while you didn't even contacted them in an attempt to solve the problem.

I was writing here about Eduard mistakes and how badly they handled the story about bis, but it is not fair not to say that problems like yours are very rare ones and Eduard is ready to solve these on customer satisfaction.

I damaged a few parts in one of my MiG-21 kits. I send them an email and several weeks later I received the whole sprue in the mail direct from Czech Rep. Excellent customer service!

And if anyone doesn't want their Eduard MiG-21s I might be willing to take it off your hands. :whistle:

Edited by SoarinSukhoi
  • 2 weeks later...

I've finally received the bis kit. Basically I wanted to see how the bis intake ring looked like. In fact I've been messing with the fuselage halves of an MF overtree kit before that.

MF intake ring vs "she's gonna have a brand new nose. BIS nose " intake ring.

eduardBisNose3.jpg

eduardBisNose4.jpg

The marker pen marks on the MF ring where made by drawing an 8 branch star, placing the ring at the middle and marking the intersections. Then I placed the ring on the fuselage and marked the later. The idea was to cut eight (roughly) equally spaced slits perpendicular to the edge of the intake plane on the fuselage halves. By cutting four slits on each fuselage halves you make five strips which can be bent to modify the intake lip curvature. Initially I intended to insert plastic strips into the slits to act as spacers but it won't work as the slits aren't wide enough. Bending the strips should be enough. Three bends are necessary:

1. bend outside the base of the strip to make the front nose more tubular (don't forget to bend the side strips or the section will be even more oval)

2. bend inside at about half the strip

3. bend inside at about 3-4mm of the edge (that's hard without a tool..)

eduardBisNose2.jpg

eduardBisNose1.jpg

Putty will be necessary after gluing the intake ring as the curvature radius of the nose profile is smaller after my messing arounds. The end of the strips will be glued together using the intake ring. I don't know if I'll use putty or melted plastic to fill the small gaps between the strips.

Edited by Laurent
Best wishes for the new year!

Best wishes for the new year too Gabor !

I've sawed a few things but it doesn't mean that I'll be really working on the model as the "modelling room" is still invaded with an ironing board and baskets of clothes everywhere :( Netherless I wanted to see what could be done without using (yet non-existent) aftermarket. The modification isn't hard to do and isn't too destructive.

All I was saying, was my expirience building this Edu mig 21.

As I had said, I probably have bad molding nothing else!

Hi there, I've been reading your previous posts in this thread and it really seems to me you must have stumbled upon a bad mold or something. Should you want a replacement, don't hesitate to contact me through the Support section or by email, or PM me here on ARC. I will kindly process your request.

Just to remind y'all about how much better the Eduard MiG-21 is compared to Academy's, check out the thread below. The mods I did with y'alls help does not make a perfect MiG-21MF but it brings it pretty close to Eduard's kit. The Eduard kit still has better details despite of all my work. So even if the Eduard kit is not perfect, it is eons better than what we had. All the discussion of Eduard imperfections does not make it a lesser kit but is really useful for those who wants improve the last details on it. In my opinion, the Eduard MiG-21 is truly great out of the box.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=180594&st=0&p=1685156&hl=academy%20mig-21&fromsearch=1entry1685156

Cheers Martinsson

Just to remind y'all about how much better the Eduard MiG-21 is compared to Academy's, check out the thread below. The mods I did with y'alls help does not make a perfect MiG-21MF but it brings it pretty close to Eduard's kit. The Eduard kit still has better details despite of all my work. So even if the Eduard kit is not perfect, it is eons better than what we had. All the discussion of Eduard imperfections does not make it a lesser kit but is really useful for those who wants improve the last details on it. In my opinion, the Eduard MiG-21 is truly great out of the box.

http://s362974870.on...1

Cheers Martinsson

Hey Martinsson ! did you finish the build ? you brought it with you in the US ?

Hi Laurent,

Unfortunately, I could not bring my modelling to the US. I just got back to Sweden and I am finishing up the last bits and pieces on the MiG-21. I will post photos when it is done. Thanks for asking.

Martinsson

Eduard Mig is totaly overrated... I'm building one right now, in box looks great but nightmare building it...Disapointed over Eduard...

No idea what you´re talking about.

I bought 2 SMTs and everything wents together very well.

No gaps,every line joints perfectly.

Eduard's plastic is a bit soft, it needs care to work with.

The only thing which is noticeable is a little twisted left wing-underside. Right wing looks perfect straight when joined the uppre side, the left side needs attention.

No matter the obvious "beef" on this thread regarding academy vs. eduard and eduard's "inaccuracies" I am glad this thread exists, after all it's aircraft modelling forum and all the info is welcome, at least on my behalf...

I just don't understand how can someone be offended when another person expresses some critiques on his building or researching experiences.

Never made the academy but have seen the plastic, the molds, the details, built kits with and most important without the aftermarket...

I've made two MF eduards so far one with etch and one with aires pit and I had no fitting problems, except for the little gap on lower side

where the wing part joins the fuselage, no biggie at all.

Overall I think Eduard is much nicer in detail and shape and for the 25eur (weekend edition) it is not in the same league as academy -IMHO

Now a question for the pros...

I have a mig-21UM conversion for academy and I wonder if anyone did it with eduard fishbed? Cause all you need from academy is the back part and the wings and those have issues, so...

Is the academy relatively the same dimensions as eduard regarding the fuselage from a section view?

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Hi J,

Is this pic still available on here somewhere?

Brad

Not necessarily germain to the topic at hand, but since someone uploaded this GORGEOUS photo of a Czech MF, I thought I'd take the opportunity to "back date" the photo a bit to get rid of the distractions. My "after" version without the German F-4 and the civilian-clad guy standing on the wing (and the ugly light blue marking on the pavement) could put it in the Cold War days at České Budějovice sometime in the 1970s :jaw-dropping:

J

B4A_MiG-21.jpg

Here is the latest addition to the Eduard kit. Now the air brakes.

Eduardairbrake.jpg

We already have a correction set:

* for the cockpit,

* for the wheels,

* for the engine exhaust,

* for the missiles,

* for the undercariage bays,

* now it is the air brakes,

* then there is the etched set for the outside details,

* all the ground accessories,

* the ladder . . .

What next??? The air brake weels, the small intakes, the GS-23L gun system, the radio compartments, the engine remouved . . .

There will be not much plastic left in that kit if you add everything into it! :wacko:

Why not incorporate most of the details in the original plastic kit? If everything is reworked in resin, why not do a new and correctly shaped nose to that MiG-21 bis too??? The buyers can make a decision if they want to have one, just as with all the above correction sets. They are grownups so they can make up their own mind!

I know my questions are all academic. :( :( :(

Best regards

Gabor

Hi,

Are these correction sets or upgrades? Big difference to me. If these are just upgrades, which aren't required, then I am ok with most of the kit contents, but if these are correction sets, and are required to fix errors in the kit, then I will not support Eduard by purchasing their kits any longer.

Brad

Here is the latest addition to the Eduard kit. Now the air brakes.

Eduardairbrake.jpg

We already have a correction set:

* for the cockpit,

* for the wheels,

* for the engine exhaust,

* for the missiles,

* for the undercariage bays,

* now it is the air brakes,

* then there is the etched set for the outside details,

* all the ground accessories,

* the ladder . . .

What next??? The air brake weels, the small intakes, the GS-23L gun system, the radio compartments, the engine remouved . . .

There will be not much plastic left in that kit if you add everything into it! :wacko:

Why not incorporate most of the details in the original plastic kit? If everything is reworked in resin, why not do a new and correctly shaped nose to that MiG-21 bis too??? The buyers can make a decision if they want to have one, just as with all the above correction sets. They are grownups so they can make up their own mind!

I know my questions are all academic. :( :( :(

Best regards

Gabor

It is a Detail Set officialy. It adds more detail to the kit, but in most cases the same detail could have been included in the injection moulded plastic items too. You get the airbrakes in the kit separately just as well, but they lack the details. Every one can make up their mind what they want and how much detail to incorporate in the given kit. Most manufacturers provide most of these details in plastic form. Make your own decision what you want!

Best regards

Gabor