1/48 Eduard MIG-21 MF Bis SMT

As I said, unfortunately all my questions are academic. (We have been down this road already!) :( If a choice is given by the manufacturer with the additional sets, then they just as well could do a corrected or if you prefer detailed new nose for the MiG-21 bis. The buyers could make a decision if they want to have this extra or not.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

As I said, unfortunately all my questions are academic. (We have been down this road already!) :( If a choice is given by the manufacturer with the additional sets, then they just as well could do a corrected or if you prefer detailed new nose for the MiG-21 bis. The buyers could make a decision if they want to have this extra or not.

Best regards

Gabor

Vanity!!!

But "...should anybody here suggest we should do a resin nose for our Bis, he'd better start looking for another job!". ;)

Funny, initially I was very annoyed by that attitude. Now, looking at the whole extras list Eduard is offering, all I can do is laugh. Wholeheartedly! :doh:

Edited by niki4703

It is a Detail Set officialy. It adds more detail to the kit, but in most cases the same detail could have been included in the injection moulded plastic items too...

No, you can't. Resin moulding and plastic injection are different technologies and don't reproduce equally the same details. And throwing all those resin add-ons in the box would also bring the kit cost at unreasounable prices. Seems to me that Eduard is just listening to the "********" modellers when creating those Brassins , while most modellers are satisfied with the stock kit.

IMHO, Edu Profipack version is miles above a "basically accurate kit that needs some detailing"...

Hi caiotfjr,

Thank you. Yes, I know the difference between injection moulding and resin casting. Of the later technology both as a producer and as master designer have a bit more than 20 years of experience.

As to the kit. There are many extremely fine details on the "basic" Ed MiG-21 kit that are far from what is usual on an injection moulded kit. I love them! On the other hand there are a lot of details that are surprisingly simplified even when it could have been possible to add more detail in the same way as the above mentioned fine details. It is (now) not surprising since most of these details are now appearing in the Brassin range. From the business venture stand point it is understandable (they can make far more from selling all the extras and there are a lot of them now), but from model builders stance it is far from understandable or acceptable.

The main point is: that if there is such an attention to detail (and the very fine detail to that) then it is hardly understandable why statements made of marginal, unnoticable, irrelevant differences on some parts (like the aircraft nose section and many others). Is it comming from the same company so dedicated to attention to details???

Best regards

Gabor

Funny, I was just wondering the other day when somebody was going to step up with a properly shaped 'bis' nose for the Eduard kit. I suspect it won't be Eduard though. I'd be up for at least three copies of it to start with.

Anyone?

Funny, I was just wondering the other day when somebody was going to step up with a properly shaped 'bis' nose for the Eduard kit. I suspect it won't be Eduard though. I'd be up for at least three copies of it to start with.

Anyone?

Who knows, the "extras" list from Ed is already fairly long, one day you wake up to see that they have introduced a MiG-21 bis nose in the Brassin range. :woot.gif: But the chances for this a fairly slim :crying2: we know that.

Seriously, I am not sure that the NeOAirboost's and the other fascinating manufacturers really know what they should and can do. I am not sure they have an approval from Ed to do this. Almost everyone in the Czech resin industry have at one time or another worked here or there . . . :coolio:

But I dont really understand you Jennings, :) :) since we have been told by Ed that all the differences are "marginal" and a pure fiction from a French and a Hungarian guy. . . :D Why would you need a new nose?!?!?

Best regards

Gabor

Please forgive me for repeating myself.

For me Eduard makes detail sets not correction sets. The majority of modelers (I guess) doesn't care about accuracy as long as the model has the correct number of wings, engines, that the intake is vaguely where it's supposed to be and has grossly the proper shape. See how the 1/72 Fujimi MiG-21s still are popular. And anyway if the kit (or the detail set) has very fine detailing, then the modeler assumes that the model is accurate. Eduard makes products for the majority. Eduard will never make a correction set because:

1) that's not what their market wants

2) that would mean that there's something wrong in their kit in the first place

I can't say that I'm very interested by all these detail sets. If the model is standing on its landing gear, how visible the airbrakes interior will be ? It's a little silly for me. Oh well. Eduard has plenty of customers anyway.

Edited by Laurent

It's a little silly for me.

Hi Laurent,

Yes, agree. It is unfortunate that there are still a few people who think and take things seriously. :bandhead2: I shouldt for one. The Ed kit is just a TOY and should be treated as such. . .

This is why I said earlier that this whole question is academical.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

I guess I shouldn't have asked the question in the first place. If you're happy with the base kit as is, then great. Some won't be happy unless they can jam $100 worth of aftermarket items into a kit, and guess what, that's ok too, we have room for everyone. My concern was that Eduard was making sets to correct errors in the base kit and then wanting money for it, but since these are upgrades and not corrections, it's now a moot point for me. Thanks Eduard for creating the Mig-21.

Build on gents!!

All the best

Brad

Gents, In the link below, is this a Mig-21 MF?

TIA

Brad

Hi Brad,

Yep, it is. As far as I can tell it is one of the 20 late version MiG-21MF Type 96A received last by the Czechoslovak AF. It has a lot of things (panel lines) in common with the later MiG-21 bis Type 75. One of the so called "grey" aircraft. But I am sure our Czech friends can add more detail on this.

As far as it is know the original Eduard MiG-21 MF kit is based on this version of the MiG-21MF.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Hi,

The reason I ask is because it is about 2 hours away from me at our Comox Airforce Museum. Can I build this from the Eduard MF boxing?

Thanks

Brad

Hi Brad,

Yep, it is. As far as I can tell it is one of the 20 late version MiG-21MF Type 96A received last by the Czechoslovak AF. It has a lot of things (panel lines) in common with the later MiG-21 bis Type 75. One of the so called "grey" aircraft. But I am sure our Czech friends can add more detail on this.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi,

The reason I ask is because it is about 2 hours away from me at our Comox Airforce Museum. Can I build this from the Eduard MF boxing?

Thanks

Brad

Once again Yep! The Eudard kit is based on one of these 20 aircraft. These 20 aircraft are the ONLY ones that you can do with out any correction, modification. . . Just out of the box and you have a perfect copy.

Please note that the nosecone is in full forward position in that exhibited example. You will not have that under normal conditions in operational situation. Also the DUAS and the pitot head is missing from the end of the pitot tube.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Excellent, thanks. Would be great to find this aircraft's life history.

Brad

Once again Yep! The Eudard kit is based on one of these 20 aircraft. These 20 aircraft are the ONLY ones that you can do with out any correction, modification. . . Just out of the box and you have a perfect copy.

Please note that the nosecone is in full forward position in that exhibited example. You will not have that under normal conditions in operational situation. Also the DUAS and the pitot head is missing from the end of the pitot tube.

Best regards

Gabor

Would be great to find this aircraft's life history.

No problem Brad. ;)

It was produced 1st August 1975 in Gorki plant (today Nizhny Novgorod) and delivered to Czechoslovakia 17th September 1975. The same month entered service with 1st Fighter Regiment in Ceske Budejovice AB. June 1989 was moved to 8th Fighter Regiment in Brno and May 1991 was moved to 82nd Independent Fighter Squadron (established by division of 8th FR into two squadrons) in Ostrava-Mosnov AB. September 1993 it was retired and stored in Plzen-Line AB. In 1998 donated to Canada.

In a Czech web we have a project to map history of every aircraft, which served with Czechoslovak, Czech and Slovak air force. File of this a/c is here http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/title/MiG-21MF-4038/t/51782 You can also find there few photos from service with 8th FR.

Hi Brad,

There you have it! Everything you wanted to know about it. :) Now you just have to build the kit! :D

Thanks Tango, excellent information! :thumbsup: Will you be around for the Mosonmagyarovar show?

If only we had all the info in a similar way for our aircraft too . . .

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Tango,

That's brilliant, thanks very much!!

Brad

No problem Brad. ;)

It was produced 1st August 1975 in Gorki plant (today Nizhny Novgorod) and delivered to Czechoslovakia 17th September 1975. The same month entered service with 1st Fighter Regiment in Ceske Budejovice AB. June 1989 was moved to 8th Fighter Regiment in Brno and May 1991 was moved to 82nd Independent Fighter Squadron (established by division of 8th FR into two squadrons) in Ostrava-Mosnov AB. September 1993 it was retired and stored in Plzen-Line AB. In 1998 donated to Canada.

In a Czech web we have a project to map history of every aircraft, which served with Czechoslovak, Czech and Slovak air force. File of this a/c is here http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/title/MiG-21MF-4038/t/51782 You can also find there few photos from service with 8th FR.

Hi Tango,

Thanks for the interesting link. :thumbsup: Sorry to hear that you will not be at Moson. :( It is always great to meet people, not only in an electronic way and to know the person behind an alias. Next time.

Best regards

Gabor

• 4 months later...

Anyone?

I'd be up for 2 copies. Or, I could just do the "mod" myself.

Larry

SMT's could carried UB-32?

Yes! On the inner pylons, but they had to take off the extra plates from the main gear cover doors (the round cutout on the long one) to fit the UB-32-57 on. Not only the SMT but every other version starting from Type 76 (MiG-21PF) were able to carry it.

Best regards

Gabor