1/48 Eduard MIG-21 MF Bis SMT

I know several people have already asked; but after the amazing job you guys did on the F6F Hellcat, I would love to see a 1/72 version of this kit.

I'm not saying we won't do it in the future, as well as I can't confirm we will. Will create an idea in our Knowledge base.

Check out the preview of marking options for the upcoming MiG-21BIS ProfiPACK.

I'm glad that the last Croatian scheme got in, but I'd say that the presented shades of green are off (i.e. the lighter is much too light and the darker one has a brown tint to it). I saw the airplanes up close so it's not an issue of specific lighting conditions.

53428.jpg

I'm bad with colors, but putting it in a Model Master paints world, I'd say that your sheet shows shades of green similar to Pale Green and Dark Green, while those on the photo appear closer to e.g. Field (or Olive?) Green and European Green (didn't try to search the forums for the exact matches, just presenting a personal impression). Maybe the Model Master II range has closer shades, I'm not familiar with those.

Edited by ijozic

I averaged at lot of photos of those a/c in Photoshop, and it's my belief that the colors, if not absolutely identical, are **very** close to USAF F-4 Euro I colors: FS 36081 grey, FS 34102 Medium Green, and FS 34097 Dark Green. The aircraft certainly look almost indistinguishable from USAF F-4s in that combination of colors.

J

Edited by Jennings
It's my belief that the colors, if not absolutely identical, are **very** close to USAF F-4 Euro I colors.

That's precisely what I'll do, mix up the colors using only photos as a guide. I'll probably start with those Euro I colors and tweak them a bit so that they don't look like the same out-of-the-bucket paints if I should place the MiG next to an A-10!

"Paint what you see, not what you know is there."

That's precisely what I'll do, mix up the colors using only photos as a guide. I'll probably start with those Euro I colors and tweak them a bit so that they don't look like the same out-of-the-bucket paints if I should place the MiG next to an A-10!

"Paint what you see, not what you know is there."

Dittos here. The Euro I Dark Grey does have a bit of purple cast to it in that pic, much like British Extra Dark Sea Grey. I might use that. Looking forward to this and hope it is availalbe for Christmas!

Here is the nose section of a/c 48 of Hungarian Air Force, a MiG-21 bis as it prepares for the training of the solo flight before the closure of the Papa AFB. This particular aircraft is a late production model MiG-21 bis or to be more precise a Type 75AP as it stands in its official documentation.

Photo taken in the evening of August 2000 with the sun behind the Start zone of the base. It shows the contours of the intake and the abrupt decrease in diameter towards the intake ring. The form of the intake is visibly different from that of the MiG-21 MF or Type 96A which had a smooth transition and not such a noticeable break (as on the bis) in its lines.

Hope this answers some questions on the different shape of the bis nose. It is not just the ring!

Best regards

Gabor

75AP481.jpg

75AP483.jpg

75AP482.jpg

I'm glad that the last Croatian scheme got in, but I'd say that the presented shades of green are off (i.e. the lighter is much too light and the darker one has a brown tint to it). I saw the airplanes up close so it's not an issue of specific lighting conditions.

I'm bad with colors, but putting it in a Model Master paints world, I'd say that your sheet shows shades of green similar to Pale Green and Dark Green, while those on the photo appear closer to e.g. Field (or Olive?) Green and European Green (didn't try to search the forums for the exact matches, just presenting a personal impression). Maybe the Model Master II range has closer shades, I'm not familiar with those.

The colors on those images, as well as those in PDF instructions which will be available online as soon as this gets released, might be bit off. However the color annotations included in the instructions will refer to the closest possible shade of that color.

Thanks a lot for the photographs Gabor 70.gif

I find the third one interesting: it seems like the slope of the top of the nose differs between the lip<->front of vent area and rear of vent<->windshield area. The drop of the latter area looks steeper. The radius of curvature is smaller at the top of the lip than at the bottom of the lip right ? Do you happen to have equivalent photographs of MFs ?

Edit: er no, no slope difference but there could be a step.

gaborPhotoTopNoseBis.jpg

Edited by Laurent

I'm sitting on two MFs and I have an SMT on the way. I hope these go together as well as what I've heard.

By the way, what color should the landing gear and wheel bays be? I know on a few on the painted export birds the bays are the same color as the underside, but what about the others like USSR, GDR, etc?

Good evening,

The curvature around the intake is constant, the RSBN (PION) antenna housing on the bottom is a visual distraction. At the time the photos taken it was not a question of making pictures to prove to anyone the difference, everyone knew it! So I did not make detail photos just general shoots of the flight line and the operation, preparation for the retirement of the MiG-21. It was a very sad occassion. So these photos are blow-ups from 35 mm negatives where you have the whole aircraft and lots more. This si the reason for the less then perfect quality.

On this day there were only bis and UM's in the Start zone. So no MF photos from those days. On the other hand I made a lot of comparative photos in the spring for Eduard, with MF and bis standing side by side, facing the same direction and of course under same light conditions and also in different locations, with different examples.

I will make some new photos to show the nose difference in a few days time, it should be interesting.

There is no brake in the curvature, after the vent there is a indentation in the forward radio compartment door. This could be interpreted as a step or a brake in the line. There is one other thing well visible on this photo, which is of importance and fortunately this time the Eduard people did listen to the advice. The cover of the vent also serves as the cover of the cooling alcohol container. The bis had the new RP-22 Saphire radar unit which had an alcohol cooling systems as against the air cooled RP-21 in the MF. This alcohol container was much bigger and in fact it was a container inside another one. The smaller one was for windscreen deicing and the bigger one for the radar cooling. For the bigger alcohol container the designers added a more bulged cover, well inllustrated on this photo. In fact there were three different versions of this cover used on the bis aircraft. If I saw right then the Eduard "bis" sprue has two new covers on it. Well 2 out of 3 is not bad. The forward radio compartment cover was also changed for the bis, based on the photo of the sprue unfortunately this did not make it into the kit.

Best regards

Gabor

SoarinSukhoi

There is no general rule for the undercarriage bay colours. I can say only what I have seen. In its original form some had it natural metal, some yellowish primer (as everything inside), some grey, or even a mix of it, especially in the main bay. After overhaul our aircraft had all internal surfaces painted the light blue of the underside. As to other air forces you will have to ask around.

Edited by ya-gabor

The Bulgarian base is Graf Ignatievo, not Graf Ignatevo.

Does anyone know the status of the Mig-21bis stationed at Graf Ignatievo or how many are flight worthy? Google earth shows 2 large clustered storage groups of them in two hardstands which don't look to have been flown in awhile, lots of shelters you can see inside though. But Mig-29's can be seen around the base. Airliners.net shows a few Bulgarian Mig-21bis photos of some being flown in 2011 but I can't find anything online that states if these are even in service or retired or how many are left. I've always loved the Bulgarian camo with the faded colors and have been exited to see that it's an Eduard release marking option.

Brett,

One of our LHD researchers visited the 3 Aviobaza at GI last week. The flightline, shared with 29s, included about a half-dozen MiG-21s; a mixture of bis-SAU and -LASUR, by the looks of it.

'114' looks a little different today to the way she is portrayed above, although the camo scheme demarcations are correct.

We also now have full photographic details from local sources of BVVS-specific post-overhaul stencilling on the MiG-21bis.

All of which begs the following question:

We already covered five very different BVVS MFs on our sheet LHD 48027 (http://www.lindenhillimports.com/lhd48027.htm), including weathered insignia. Is there any interest in a further LHD sheet of BVVS bis variants including Bulgarian stencilling? Too much?

Edited by Linden Hill

One of our LHD researchers visited the 3 Aviobaza at GI last week. The flightline, shared with 29s, included about a dozen MiG-21s; a mixture of bis-SAU and -LASUR, by the looks of it.

'114' looks a little different today to the way she is portrayed above, although the camo scheme demarcations are correct.

We also now have full photographic details from local sources of BVVS-specific post-overhaul stencilling on the MiG-21bis.

We already covered five very different BVVS MFs on our sheet LHD 48027 (http://www.lindenhillimports.com/lhd48027.htm), including weathered insignia. Is there any interest in a further LHD sheet of BVVS bis variants including Bulgarian stencilling? Too much?

Thanks for the information, I haven't been able to find much. I'm glad to hear they're still flying their fishbeds for alittle while longer, Does anyone have any recent photos of 114? In regards to the decal sheet I would definatly be interested in buying one for the Bulgarian Bis.

Brett,

pollie said: "The Bulgarian base is Graf Ignatievo, not Graf Ignatevo."

I dont believe this guy, he is complaining about one lousy letter for the Bulgarian aircraft. :D :) :D For the Hungarian aircraft's text not a word is true, only that it is Hungarian, a MiG-21 and it was in 1991.

Eduard please black out all the rest on the instruction sheet!

- It is not BIS but bis

- It is not Izdelije 75B but Type 75AP(the ones which served with Hungarian AF)

- It was not serving at Papa AFB but at Taszar AFB

- It's unit was not 47th Combat Air Regiment but the 31st "Kapos" Tactical Fighter Regiment

- In accordance with the above line it did not serve with the Griff squadron of the Papa base

It would be interesting to see Libors comments on this.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

One of our LHD researchers visited the 3 Aviobaza at GI last week. The flightline, shared with 29s, included about a dozen MiG-21s; a mixture of bis-SAU and -LASUR, by the looks of it.

Having seen all Bulgarian bis aircraft bare one (and two that crashed before 1995)I say: "bring it on"! And including BVVS stencilling would be fantastic. Please include an Uzundhzovo and Balchik/Dobrich machine as well!

There should be no more than 5 bis operational, and one UM, if I am correctly informed.

All Bulgarian decal options I have seen sofar are missing the characteristic triangle below the wingroot typical for Bulgarian military aircraft. The Bulgarian bis carried a number of interesting schemes, and if you release I will build!

mig21parkedxk6.jpg

These are the Mig-21's seen in google earth.

Brett,

This photo was taken prior to 2007, when scrapping in Bulgaria began in earnest. I think some, if not most, of the MiG-21s in this photo no longer exist. There are Graf Ignatievo machines in that photo, and former Balchik/Dobrich and Uzundzhovo birds as well. Across the runway you can see two more revetments containing MiG-21s. These had F-13, PF, PFM, M, MF and R airframes along with some bis and UM. All scrapped :crying2:

The colors on those images, as well as those in PDF instructions which will be available online as soon as this gets released, might be bit off. However the color annotations included in the instructions will refer to the closest possible shade of that color.

OK, thanks for the info. Looking forward to it..