1/48 Eduard MIG-21 MF Bis SMT

I was wrong, they did have some PFMs PFVs, and PFLs. during the US involvement. I dont think that Eduard has a PF version as of yet.

The VPAF had Mig-21 MF's during the war, if you read several US pilots account they talk about fighting the "Fishbed J" of course this near the end of the war. In the 48th scale limited edition MF kit Eduard gives you decals for a MF that supposedly shot down a B-52.

Eduard Mig is totaly overrated... I'm building one right now, in box looks great but nightmare building it...Disapointed over Eduard...

Explain please! I'd like to know about problem areas before I start building....

I have baaaad mold or something is wrong here... and this model is selling for 50€...

1.fit of spine with tail section gap of 1mm, no matter what kind of alligment I did a big and loooong gap on boths side of spine to fuselage joint or 1mm step between spine-tail joint

2.fit of spine and fuselage at cockpit area... 2mm wide and 5mm long "triangle gap which had to be filled with styren

3.fit of bottom wing to fuselage joint.. nightmare to make it flush and in level with fuselage, nightmare to sand it, (some details of airbrake area have to be rescribed in that %&$### soft plastic)

4.fit of part with airbrake to the fuselage... also nightmare that thing did not fit at all...

5. panels on the bottom half of fuselage and wings are so shalow they are barely visible....

and I'm about to put his Mig in Alclad... one layer of surfacer and what will be left of the pannels.. I rather not to thing about it..

I had build several Migs 21 before OEZ and ACa kits for 1/3 of Edu price, but this one is way over the top. No way I'm gona pay another 50 or so € for another sample.. rather stay with Academy..

Their MF is actualy Bis.

Something is realy wrong with Eduard Quality control department, where day on vacations or where sleeping...

did any others had similar problems? and noboty likes to talk about this fiasco.. model for 50€+ and such a bad quality...

not gonna happend again with me Edo...

Eduard Mig is totaly overrated... I'm building one right now, in box looks great but nightmare building it...Disapointed over Eduard...

No offense mate, but are you kidding? this is one of the better engineered kits I've built. You must take your time and follow the instructions and build your model straight. the only thing I don't like are the butt joints of the PE fences to the model. But thats me.

rather stay with Academy..

Their MF is actualy Bis.

Right

1) "spoked" wheel hubs -> MF

2) oval panel lines on the wings -> MF

3) curvature of the rear and front of the top nose profile collinear -> MF

4) widest part of the spine is next to the canopy -> MF

5) cylindrical canopy -> MiG-23

Their MF is actually a distorted MF.

So we could conclude from all this that there is no PERFECT 1:48 MIG-21 BIS nor there is perfect MIG-21 MF right?Instead of that many of you should try making a MIG-21 in 1:48 or other kit for a change instead of going mad into this matters of accuracy and details.

Explain please! I'd like to know about problem areas before I start building....

See my build here:-

Mig-21MF

And this was one of three I've built so far. I may have issues with the approach to the bis, but as a model it's about as good a building experience as I've ever had. THREE TIMES. As my review says, if you get issues, they will almost certainly be builder rather than model induced. It's a super precise kit. Interesting in the light of that complaint post is my comment on the fit of the spine, and this predates that complaint by eight months!

Oh my :) will the rivet counting ever stop?

Hi dragan_mig31,

Is it a problem if one wants to make a true, authentic replica of the real aircraft??? I dont think so! What about those kits with all the added fine details, everything open and all the colour shades spot on? If they are an F-15 or a Me-109 is it OK to have all the detail, all the rivets in place??? Only if it is a MiG-21 will the wrongly placed panel lines, rivets, wrong fuselage shape, structural details be "marginal"????

Best regards

Gabor

So we could conclude from all this that there is no PERFECT 1:48 MIG-21 BIS nor there is perfect MIG-21 MF right?Instead of that many of you should try making a MIG-21 in 1:48 or other kit for a change instead of going mad into this matters of accuracy and details.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. (Well, almost everyone.) I'm not a big stickler on accuracy. I'd like it to be close, but I'm probably not going to worry if it isn't perfect. The bis nose is a little bit off, but I'll still build it. Other people can build it however they like including making it a near perfect match with the real plane.

My friend don't get me wrong I am a big fan of the MIG-21 in any variant and have build more than 20 in 1:72.Also I would vote the mig-21 over any western model kit and aircraft,but this is insane.I thought that our hobby should be fun and not driving us mad and obsessive with details that one could not tell with the naked eye.I am just saying that I don't like the price of 50euros for a kit that is not even remotly accurate to the real thing at all but it is the best representation of a BIS or MF up to date.I`d rather buy 2 academy ones full with aftermarket instead of one of theese eduard kits but I don`t venture in the 48th scale :P I build only 1:72.And I personally try to enjoy the kits that I build and not go into a neverendeing build due to correcting innacuracies.I see the eduard mig looks ok on the first glance and that is all that matters(to me).

Hi dragan_mig31,

Is it a problem if one wants to make a true, authentic replica of the real aircraft??? I dont think so! What about those kits with all the added fine details, everything open and all the colour shades spot on? If they are an F-15 or a Me-109 is it OK to have all the detail, all the rivets in place??? Only if it is a MiG-21 will the wrongly placed panel lines, rivets, wrong fuselage shape, structural details be "marginal"????

Best regards

Gabor

Right

1) "spoked" wheel hubs -> MF

2) oval panel lines on the wings -> MF

3) curvature of the rear and front of the top nose profile collinear -> MF

4) widest part of the spine is next to the canopy -> MF

5) cylindrical canopy -> MiG-23

Their MF is actually a distorted MF.

There's a resin Quickboost set that fixes the tail and spine and makes it pretty much an MF kit.

I believe there is a demand for all those fine details, the corrections to those "marginal" differences, otherways you will not have so many aftermarket manufacturers flooding our hobby with for example new nosecones which have differences measured in microns from the original kit example and a slightly different shape . . .

Best regards

Gabor

I thought that our hobby should be fun and not driving us mad and obsessive with details that one could not tell with the naked eye.

Holy cow ! I have microscope objective lenses in my eyeballs ! smile.gif

I personally try to enjoy the kits that I build and not go into a neverendeing build due to correcting innacuracies.I see the eduard mig looks ok on the first glance and that is all that matters(to me).

It isn't neverending because each one of us knows where's the end for him. What matters to Gabor may not matter as much to me. It is fun for Gabor to improve the wheel well bulges. It is fun to me to think how to improve the bis kit nose. What is fun for you may not be what is fun for others. But there's something else about this topic. Do you realize the quantity of information there's in it ? RobertS, Gabor or Bungynik photographic reference material ? the evolution of Eduard's MiG-21 family range and the reaction of different kinds of modellers relative to it ? the roller coaster ride of the jubilation over the MF/SMT kits and the disappointment (for some) over the bis kit ? the neverending "rivet counters" vs "it looks like a XXX to me" argument ? There's something for everyone in this topic.

Edited by Laurent

Price, did you all miss the Black Friday sale at Squadron, we ordered a handful of em at 50% off, $16.00 for the weekends and $27.00 for the ProfiPack, I ended up with 3 Migs, amazing how that happens.

Curt

There's a resin Quickboost set that fixes the tail and spine and makes it pretty much an MF kit.

Quickboost didn't make a set with a new canopy and front fuselage to put it on probably because it would have cost an arm and a leg. They made an inaccurate set to match an inaccurate kit. So did Czech Master, Ciro and probably others.

I have baaaad mold or something is wrong here... and this model is selling for 50€...

1.fit of spine with tail section gap of 1mm, no matter what kind of alligment I did a big and loooong gap on boths side of spine to fuselage joint or 1mm step between spine-tail joint

2.fit of spine and fuselage at cockpit area... 2mm wide and 5mm long "triangle gap which had to be filled with styren

3.fit of bottom wing to fuselage joint.. nightmare to make it flush and in level with fuselage, nightmare to sand it, (some details of airbrake area have to be rescribed in that %&$### soft plastic)

4.fit of part with airbrake to the fuselage... also nightmare that thing did not fit at all...

5. panels on the bottom half of fuselage and wings are so shalow they are barely visible....

and I'm about to put his Mig in Alclad... one layer of surfacer and what will be left of the pannels.. I rather not to thing about it..

I had build several Migs 21 before OEZ and ACa kits for 1/3 of Edu price, but this one is way over the top. No way I'm gona pay another 50 or so € for another sample.. rather stay with Academy..

Their MF is actualy Bis.

Something is realy wrong with Eduard Quality control department, where day on vacations or where sleeping...

did any others had similar problems? and noboty likes to talk about this fiasco.. model for 50€+ and such a bad quality...

not gonna happend again with me Edo...

This is just the dry fit of Eduard 1/48 MF parts without even the cleaning the parts from molding residue! Where to heck have you seen 1 or 2mm gaps?

Do you have twisted or deformed parts? Or your eyes are working as microscope so the gaps you see are significantly enlarged.

Will you be so kind to post a few photos of that gaps, because I do not believe you at all. You are deliberately undermining the Eduard great engineering work on MiG-21 for purpose only known to you, or you have really big problem, with your vision or modeling skis!!

1309179301_img_1308.jpg

1309179313_img_1306.jpg

Edited by bungynik

From the reactions posted here I think I know what the problem is, Tomcat Fan! You're holding the instructions upside down!

Hi dragan_mig31

Be prepared, after the down scaleof 48th kit to 144, Eduard soon will do it also in 72 scale! I dont know if it is good or bad news.

Best regards

Gabor

of course that is good news :) but we`ll see what the price will be.