Heres my work bench, also known as the Kitchen worktop with my first project in a long time underway.

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

Does anyone know the story behind this Marine bird with a UK Tail paint job? Love the paint, would like to know the story.

Is it a cross-decking thing?

I love these workbench threads, the neat thing would be to see how many still have the same models on them now compared to a year or so ago when these pics were first taken
I'd switch 'em just out of pride. But I must admit, I've finished 4 since my last picture! :thumbsup:

Okay, here's one room of my man cave with work bench.

Bench2.jpg

You may notice that you don't see any signs of paint drips and such around my bench. When I decided to get back into modeling, the first thing I did was to buy about $100 worth of Humbrol enamels because that's was my preferred paint when I was a young airplane modeler and also, I loved how it smelled. Unfortunately, I forgot that I mostly brushed painted in those days and I don't have a paint booth (yet). I was also unaware that Humbrol had changed their paint formula as well as their naming system. Bummer twice because it no longer has that familiar smell or the cool names like "duck egg blue" printed right on the little odd tinlet. So, I've just been twiddling around, buying models and waiting for Spring to arrive so I can open the windows, begin airbrushing and building in earnest.

Bench.jpg

I've been playing around with the old Hawk/Testors Banshees. This one is going to be a long nose night fighter version. The kit canopy and pit are way too small so I'm trying to shave down an F-86 canopy, or I may use the canopy from a Su-7 kit which looks pretty close. That red tube is bondo which someone here recommended. Great stuff and you can't beat the price. I hope one tube will last through the Banshee build. :explode:

Stash.jpg

That's my stash which I started building about the end of last October. One of my first post here was asking why people were selling "bagged kits". Now I know...

Ships.jpg

My uncle gave me the Bismark model saying "he would never get it completed". Now it sits there mocking me. I love my manly, classic 50's fan. The bugle is there so I can warn the women upstairs that man is emerging from the cave. :rofl: I totally plan to build the Gato when the weather gets warmer and I can paint outside.

Posters.jpg

The photo of the B-17 was taken off the coast of Charleston, SC about 15 years ago. I managed the FBO at the Johns Island airport and the we flew down the coast and met the B-17 and a B-24 somewhere north of Savannah, GA. The planes were coming to Johns Island for a display. It was exciting to fly formation with the big bombers. The Thunderbird poster was from a show they did for the Boys Home of the South in 1983 at the old Donaldson Airforce base in Greenville, SC. The Blue Angels poster was from 1982 when they came to town for a show. We hangared one of the A-4's for several days and we had a long wait getting payment. As a token of thanks, they sent me this signed poster with "Best Wishes" and my name printed on it (which I think was way cool of them to do).

This is the view i've got when i'm passing through the door of my hobbyRoom.

workbench.jpg

it's like an iceberg... what can be seen here is the least part of it... the wardrobe is filled to complete with plastic models and tools... all the drawers of my furnitures are full of aftermarkets(decals/resins/PE's) and references... under the bench, a 3hp 6gal. aircompressor and a 5 gal. pressure pot(waiting for some parts before first try pressurized casting own resins parts) ...and again some stach for plastic model boxes... dangerous/toxic products are safely placed on the ground at a secure distance of any heat/shock/whatever... and i've got small extinguisher next to hobbyroom intrance door!

only two and a half years ago, i was (still) working on my knees, on the gallery or in the hallway! (i was living in a 2 room appartment, with my girlfriend... and haven't much than a few brushes and x-acto for tooling!) ...summer on the gallery! other seasons in the tiny hallway, seating in the stairs!

...then we moved to a bigger place (4 rooms apt.)... and the hobby grown fast! and expands to its own desk!...then to the computer desk...then add a complete wardrobe... and to the kitchen sometimes... a little bit in the livingroom... (but never in the bedroom!) :blink:

last year we moved on again,(in a same sized apt, but in a much more quieter place,in a much more appealing site) and we decided that my hobby should have it's own dedicated room!(did i tell you that my girlfriend is the best girlfriend on earth?)

where i could do my littles things peacefully...(my girlfriend wanted a parrot, so it became obvious that, modelling activities and free willing flying bird, could cause a big mess!!!) ...and now hobby take a new dimension as i've got airbrush and as many tools as i wanted! i've got two chairs for my two workplaces in the room, one dedicated to airbrush station and booth corner(on wheeeeeeeels! :-)) ...and one wooden/stable/heavy old teachers chair for modelling.

my hobbyroom is a "work-in-progress" since i'm not a fulltime modeller!(i wish i could!) and it is not finished yet... but slowly i'm trying to give some style and ambiance to the place!

doing some artwork (as the acrylic painted soviet guards badge i'm doing... that should find a place on a wall when finished... and shouldn't be the last...) and displaying models hanged from the ceilling... (room will became too small if i put my models in display cases or on shelfs... and couldnt put them out of the hobbyroom since we have now a cokatiel that lives and fly freely in the appartment! (she has a cage, but spends most of the time free) the door of the hobbyroom is only closed when i'm doing toxic tasks (and time that it take till it is fully "outdoor airfresh" by a very powerful heavyduty fan jammed in a window oppening) so the bird can come in... and alight on my shoulder even while i'm doing things like bending PE parts! i'm improving my modeller's skills in much more way that i could ever imagine before! hahaha!

i'm very proud of myself, and grateful to my girlfriend, that i'm now having such a nice place! my modeller's dream becoming real! i'm such a lucky man!

...oh,and... currently i'm doing trump. 1/48 mig-15 and su-15 tm... and planning to serial-build like 10 or more 1/48 phantoms!

Thanks to all of you, my fellow ARCer's you'd been my inspiration through my lasts years!

Edited by mingwin
.........we decided that my hobby should have it's own dedicated room!(did i tell you that my girlfriend is the best girlfriend on earth?)........

There are a few wives and girlfriends that are supportive of hobbies. When we bought our house, we spent not a small amount of our savings building a 41ft x 12ft custom workshop and garage for all my toys ( R/C aircraft, model railroads & WW2 Jeep ). This way all my mess stays outside and the house stays relitively clean and normal. Some internal pictures are shown in post 18. I've got the workshop fitted out with a bench grinder, lathe, pillar drill with milling vice, bandsaw, disc/belt sander, compressor and spray gear, sink and plenty of bench and cupboard space.

More recently the workshop has become my place of work in addition to a hobby room, where I build large scale R/C models - Steve's Warbird Factory

This is the rear half of the workshop.

g.jpg

When I lived with my parents, I had a workshop with a bed in the corner rather than a bedroom with a modelling bench!

My workbench area (thanks to AF housing....),

Myworkbench.jpg

One day I hope to graduate to an actual table/bench area, but this will have to do for now. Can't complain though, wife likes it cause we can talk while we do our perspective hobbies (she likes her knitting).

As for the bench, it's made out of OSB and 2x4's; painted to give it a decent surface that I can work on. The base is our coffee table, which ironically was just the right size to slip this over (I didn't make it with the table in mind; it was originially built to be a portable sand table [Army term], but since it was never needed for what I made it for, I kept it).

wow! mike, you've got a nice airbrush assortment! (and well classed tools display!:-))

impressive!

Thanks Mingwin.

I never seem to be happy with my bench layout and constantly want to change things.

Maybe it's obsessive compulsive disorder. :thumbsup: