extra dark sea gray

Hi im building a harrier but it looks like I need Extra Dark Sea Gray for the paint. My hobby store has Medium and Dark Sea Gray only. does anyone have any tips on how I can mix paint to make Extra Dark Sea Gray? or because I'm building a Harrier FRS1 any other paint combo you guys can recommend? Thanks.

I always thought Extra Dark Sea Grey had more of a bit of a dark-blue tint myself. In which case, I like Gunze Acrylics version. I just ordered a bottle from Lucky Models last week for my British Phantom.

Just my Opinion, am by no means a subject expert here.

Extra Dark Sea Gray is "Gunship Gray" in the Model Master line (FS 36118)

Mike

ARE YOU SERIOUS?? I have Gunship Gray in my paint bin. But I thought Dark Sea Gray has a bluish-gray color. I hope you are right because that will save me a few bucks but where did you know ro find out that it is the same color? And any idea why they would have TWO names for this ONE color? Thanks again.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?? I have Gunship Gray in my paint bin. But I thought Dark Sea Gray has a bluish-gray color. I hope you are right because that will save me a few bucks but where did you know ro find out that it is the same color? And any idea why they would have TWO names for this ONE color? Thanks again.

Yes I am surioius, and don't call me Shirley....

Definetely a bluish tint to it that Gunship Gray doesn't have.

I just wen to the The Ultimate Paint Conversion site and did a comparrison.

From what I saw, DSG IS the same as GSG, if not "close enough".

I am also ready to paint my Monogram Harrier, but could not find any good acrylic for DSG.

It looks like GSG may fit the bill nicely.

Thanks for the info guys!

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

I'm sure the Royal Navy and the R.A.F. wouldn't mind you borrowing the term :bandhead2:

He, he, he!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot.gif:

Paul

Yep! Serious. It's the same color. Happy to help!

:cheers:

Mike

Seems to be a confusing matter.

Extra Dark Sea Gray and Gunship Gray:

Extra Dark Sea Gray is BS381c 640. Darker than Gunship Gray, wich is ANA 603 (or FS 36118).

Seems that GSG was the american interpretation (Martlet III, Hellcat I, Tarpon) for EDSG used in temperate sea scheme at WW II.

Humbrol markets EDSG as Hu-123, while GSG is a lighter gray, Hu-125. Gunze's is similar, H-305 GSG is lighter than H-333 EDSG.

Gunship Gray and Dark Sea Grey:

If there's ANY difference between GSG and Dark Sea Grey (BS318c 638), I can't see. One can just compare Humbrol's HU-125 to Hu-156, or GS H-305 to HU-75 (Or H-331, I don't why two colours for the same shade)

Interestingly, Eduard specifically asks one to paint Hellcats mkI with GS H-125, while painting Fulmars with GS H-333.

Thanks to everyone who has put in their 2 cents. After researching a little more this topic has been debated and asked before. My conclusion is they are DIFFERENT but to the eyes they are almost the same. So yes you can use one or the other. But if you want authenticity then get both of them and since I'm POOR I'm gonna use Gunship Gray. I love you all (as friends).

Found this on Hyperscale today- Tamiya Mix:

Extra Dark Sea Grey: To 50 parts of XF24 (dark grey), add 6 parts XF2 (white), and 3 parts XF8 (flat blue).

You Sir, is AWESOME. That was exactly what I was looking for. But can you send me the link to where you found that info? Hyperscale doesn't have search feature. I'm gonna give this a try when it get down to painting. But do you know any other links/sources on mixing any other paints to make any other colors? Thanks ToadWBg.

I have posted a number of times that I have compiled a colour chart of Humbrol and Tamiya colours that relate to RLM, French and Italian WW2 colours. I have just found what others are using for their mixes and grouped them in one place with references as to where I found them such as IPMS website, etc (including these very forums!).

UNFORTUNETLY, I can not post it here as an attachment as it is an excel file format.

Currently you can get it from the LEMB forum (if you are a member) at:

http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/forums/i...?showtopic=6468

go to the last post.

I can also email it to you if you want.

my email is:

pbhawkin at optusnet dot com dot au

This is a work in progress and I am about to add Russian (VVS) and some RAF colours as well.

regards

Peter

Edited by pbhawkin
You Sir, is AWESOME. That was exactly what I was looking for. But can you send me the link to where you found that info? Hyperscale doesn't have search feature. I'm gonna give this a try when it get down to painting. But do you know any other links/sources on mixing any other paints to make any other colors? Thanks ToadWBg.

Ahhh- my error, it was posted at LSP:

LSP topic: Tamiya Navy & Intermediate Blue...

My conclusion is they are DIFFERENT but to the eyes they are almost the same.

When freshly painted, Extra Dark Sea Grey is quite different from Gunship Gray - it's darker and can have an almost greenish tint under some light conditions. However, on the boat the EDSG quickly weathers to a shade very close to the US color.

HTH,

Andre

Edited by Andre