Recon B26G Help needed

Hi All

Need your help on this one.Dose anybody have any information on the conversion of the B26Gs used by the 654BG/ 25BS , US 8th AAF in their photo-recon configuration for the Dilly Missions over the V1 sites in 1944.I know the cameras were in the aft Bomb bay but dont know how they were set ,Also some external equipment was taken off , but what ? .

thanks for looking wellzy

I've got a photo somewhere of an all black B-26 based in England used for photo work. Another with just black undersides, I have them on a CD at work,

Also I sent an email to 3 more B-26 guys I know who might have more information on the B-26G's I'm thinking the all black birds were more or less war weary birds, not the late model B-26G's

Don923 (flylo)

Sorry it took so long to get back with your information.

Here's what Paul Clouting has to say about the B-26G's used for photo work:

"Hi Don,

The 25th BG / 654th BS operated four B-26G model Marauders from July 1944 through to March 1945.

These were: 43-34193 "W", 43-34195 "X", 43-34205 "Y", and 43-34226 "T".

The aircraft were painted reflective gloss black on the undersides and tail, but retained the olive drab finish on top of the fuselage spine. The aircraft were modified by engineers at Mount Farm, Oxfordshire, to include 2 x K-19B cameras below the radio operators compartment, forward of the bomb bay. In addition each aircraft could carry 30 x photoflash bombs for target illumination at night. Used initially for project "Dilly", code word for missions flown at night to photograph V-1 launch sites in the Pas de Calais area, France. The first mission was flown on the night of 10-11th August 1944, and 13 more missions were flown until the allies overran the launch sites. After this the aircraft were flown on various daylight operations, including reconnaisance, photo mapping, meteorological and weather sorties, then relegated to training duties until March 1945. I have a copy of the book "Aerial Intelligence Of The Eighth" which gives the history of the 25th BG and its operations, so will check to see if it gives any more information on the equipment fit of these Marauders.

Regards & best wishes

Paul "

hopefully that will help you with your guestion

Don 923 (flylo)

Maybe by searching the 25 bomb group 654 bomb squadron instead of the 654 bomb group, 25 squadron you will find more information. Paul didn't address what equipment was removed, but hopefully he will get back in touch with more information.

I should have one black/white photo. Once I get back to the office I'll try to post it here. In the past I've never been able to add photos.

I'm out of town getting a radio problem fixed on our Beech BE-200 at the moment. Not usre I'll make it back today

Don923 (flylo)

Maybe by searching the 25 bomb group 654 bomb squadron instead of the 654 bomb group, 25 squadron you will find more information. Paul didn't address what equipment was removed, but hopefully he will get back in touch with more information.

I should have one black/white photo. Once I get back to the office I'll try to post it here. In the past I've never been able to add photos.

I'm out of town getting a radio problem fixed on our Beech BE-200 at the moment. Not usre I'll make it back today

Don923 (flylo)

Thanks for looking for me I am looking forward to the end result.

wellzy

It looks to me like it's matte Olive Drab on top, and gloss black underneath. Late B-26Gs came from the factory wtih OD uppers and bare metal undersides..it appears they just painted the bare metal areas black. It looks like the windows in the aft bombay doors have been painted over, so I'm not sure where the camera ports would be. Unfortunately, the photo is too dark to tell if the package guns have been removed from the fuselage, and I can't see if the upper turret is in place.

SN

• 5 weeks later...