Okay Guys,

Another newbie question:

Aside from the larger window areas, four blade main rotor system, and sleeker lines of the front rotor housing are there any other exterior differences between the two aircraft?[/i] I know that the 407 has a beefier engine and transmission, but I'm considering doing at least a 206 L4 conversion, and possibly a 407. The Delaware State Police (where I live) fly the 407's and a 412(oh yeah!), and used to fly the Longrangers. I took my first flight as a flight nurse in a Longranger several years ago with them. I would like to eventually do all three aircraft, but thought the Longranger would be a good start. I found drawings and measurements on the Bell website, and am considering using the recently re-released Revll Jetranger as the basis of this conversion. I had seen Michael's (BK117) start of such a project, but sadly, he has not graced this forum lately. Any one else considering a 206, 206 Longranger, or a 407 project? Perhaps we could do a mini group build? Please share you knowledge, thoughts and ideas. Thanks.

David

David, I'm thrilled to see you making some Bells. I had the fun job as a Bell test pilot for 9 years and flew nearly everything, with my favorite being the 412 and of course the XV-15. Oddly enough, unless I was involved in testing a model, I was unaware of all the subtle differences, so I had to consult soem photos to remind me. You are correct that the 407 was essentially a 206L-4 with the 4-bladed system. Another major difference is the horizontal stabilizer end plates. Notice on the 206L-4 they are a simple four-sided shape, but on the 407 they are larger V-shape with more area below than above the stab. Good luck and keep us all updated. Hope it is nice and colorful.

John

The Bell 407 is also...I think 4 or 6 inches wider on both sides of the cabin. If you look at pictures closely, you will see that in front of the rear baggage compartment the fuselage flares out. I'll see if I can find a few pictures to show the difference.

Yo,

Go over to the Bell Helicopter web page and you can download some awsome resources and sfor your project. I got my 206L info from there and scaled the drawings up to 1/32 for when I start my 206L conversion. I also got my 430 info from their web page and scaled the drawings up to 1/48th. You can't go wrong going there.

Bell 206L

http://www.bellhelicopter.com/en/aircraft/.../bell206L-4.cfm

Bell 407

http://www.bellhelicopter.com/en/aircraft/...ial/bell407.cfm

Enjoy!

John

I have eventual plans for a 206 L3 and a 407 but in 1/72. The 206 Long Ranger was very popular for USFS helitack crews when I started. The USFS helitack crew out of Douglas, AZ was one of the first to use a 407. My first full time position with the USFS was next door in Sierra Vista, AZ so I got to work with that crew a number of times.

I would think you would be better off starting with an OH-58D for the 407 since it includes many of the same features as the 407 including the 4 bladed rotor.

There are not 206 kits in 1/72 so I have a couple of OH-58As I will use for the L3, and an OH-58D I will use for the 407. None of these are high on my project list though.

There is a Rescue GB coming up Feb 1-May 31, 2010 if you are interested. Medevac ships are very welcome in the GB.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=192462

John, that Bell site is great. I've looked there before but never noticed the files with the diagrams. Thanks

Edited by Aaronw
I would think you would be better off starting with an OH-58D for the 407 since it includes many of the same features as the 407 including the 4 bladed rotor.

Thanks guys for your ideas and suggestions. Aaron, do you know or can anyone tell me if the Academy 1/35 OH-58D kits have the 4 doors/windows included on the sprues as an option, or are they just the configuration that is on the boxart? Also, any suggestions for the tranmission/rotor cowling, or just cut down/modify the kit one? Thanks.

David

I don't know about the 1/35 but on the 1/72 you have to fill in some windows to make an accurate OH-58D.

I thought the engine housing was closer to the 407 than the 206, but I haven't really dug to far into the project research. I basically got the kits since they were available but haven't looked into specific details of what I'm going to have to do for the conversions yet.

The 407 also has a different tail rotor with bigger beefier blades. As mentioned the horizontal stabilizer end plates extends both above and below the stabilizer, whereas on the 206L4 it is only above.

The 206L4 has a movable elevator on the back of the horizontal stab, the 407 does not. The transmission and transmission mounting is a bit different, but on a model you wouldn't be able to see much of a difference I don't think. Of course the rotor is completely different, being the 58D system.

If you need any further info, pictures etc just let me know, I fly both of them!

can anyone tell me if the Academy 1/35 OH-58D kits have the 4 doors/windows included on the sprues as an option, or are they just the configuration that is on the boxart? Also, any suggestions for the tranmission/rotor cowling, or just cut down/modify the kit one?

I think your best bet is to mod the MRC/Academy 1/35 OH-58D as well. I plan to do the same. The 1/35 kit comes with the filled in rear doors. No windows are provided for them. It does have complete front doors with windoes though, so it wouldn't be too hard to cut out the rear window area and add glass to them. The engine cowling would have to be cut down and modified from the -58D cowling. You could also try modifying the Revell 1/32 OH-58A/206 model cowling to fit.

No matter what kit you start with, 206B or OH-58, if you are making an L4 or a 407 you would also have to lengthen the fuselage to accommodate the rear-facing seats and litter doors.

The pilot/front passenger seats in the 407 have also been moved forward a little to accommodate a folding seat back with a small storage compartment. Makes them real uncomfortable to fly for us longer folks.

The overhead panel on the 407 is also wider than on the 206 series.

No matter what kit you start with, 206B or OH-58, if you are making an L4 or a 407 you would also have to lengthen the fuselage to accommodate the rear-facing seats and litter doors.

That should go without saying, but yes you would.