Testors "Blue Mini" Air Compressor.

Guest M. Harwood

Hi,

I've a friend that owns one, & he likes it.

He walked me thru the features, & what impressed me was: It was

quite small, sturdy, very quiet, & easily portable. He went on to say that he's had it for a year, & has experienced no problems.

I've seen that compressor in stores for under $85.00. Squadron has it on their site for under $80...

Should my current system ever breakdown I'd consider buyin' one these as a replacement.

If you are looking the $100 range, take a look at the compressors by Campbell Hausfeld and Coleman Powermate with a 2 gallon tank. They have a built-in pressure regulator and a tank which eliminates the pulsating air flow of a tankless compressor. I've seen them for as little as $70. You may need to spend a few more dollars for the sconnectors and a moisture filter.

With mine, I just charge up the tank by running the compressor for 5 minutes, then I can paint without any noise. (It is noisy when the compressor is running.) If I run out of pressure, I just charge up the tank again, but it generally has enough charge to paint several 1/72 models.

As a bonus, it can also be used to inflate tires and run small air tools.

Campbell Hausfeld model FP2040

Coleman Powermate model VP0000201

I don't have anything bad to say about the testors compressor, but there are other options worth looking at.

Look around and get what works best for you. Whatever you get will be worlds better than cans of propellant.

Guest M. Harwood

Thanks very much for the info, CWA and BeauGeste8. I'll definately look into both of these options. If anyone has any other suggestions in the $100-$150 range, please post 'em.

Thanks again.

The one problem I can see with the Testors compressor is that it LOOKS like it's JUST the compressor, which means that the air will be pulsing, rather than a steady stream. That will make it very difficult to paint fine lines or do freehand painting, though it's not really a huge issue if you're just painting large areas or using masks. The compressor with tank is really the best option out there if you can find one for a reasonable price, since it provides a steady airflow.

I've borrowed that compressor from a friend of mine several times before I finally got my own setup, and it was good.

Yeah, the airflow was pulsy, but with the nice long air hose (the braided one), and with the airbrush hooked up, you couldn't feel any pulsation.

As mentioned, it's small, easily portable, very easy to use.

Guest M. Harwood

Thanks everyone for your responses, they have all been very helpful.

CWA(or anyone else who uses a tank setup): what kind of connector/miosture filter would I need if I were to use the setup you described in your post?

I just picked up a filter and connector set at Wal-mart, but most home improvement stores should have similar stuff. Wal-Mart had a set of connectors with a tire inflator, quick release and assorted adaptors for about $12. The filter was in the same price range. It isn't an inline moisture trap, but I haven't had any problems.

The most important (for me)

1. teflon tape to wrap the threads for an airtight seal.

2. quick release fitting which allows use of airbrush or other tools.

3. filter.

Here are two shots of my setup.

exportImage.asp?s=cano&i=10921950&w=640&h=460

The quick release is on the end of the supplied 25 foot hose. Then a quick release fitting was attached to the end of the airbrush hose.

exportImage.asp?s=cano&i=10921951&w=640&h=508

I used a double ended adaptor to connect the filter. If I had to do it over again, I would have used a longer connector so the filter could be set with the clear housing down like it should. I haven't had any problems with water in the line.