Josef Stalin Tank Colour

Hey peoples. I am planning on building a Iosef/Josef Stalin Tank. Not sure which one but I want the JS-3 Tank if I can find it at good price.

My question is what colour would I paint a JS2 and a JS3 tank? When did the Soviets change from Russian Green (WW2 Green) to Topside Green (Modern Green)? I am guessing when WW2 was over LOL. I have both paint in the Model Master brand. But the JS tanks was built during WW2 and some say it was on the battlefield but no action. So please if you know or have the source, point me to the right direction.

Use Russian Green. The best shade and one I use is from Vallejo, but you can get shades from Model Master or White Ensign as well.

A lot of armour modellers also use JA green from Tamiya.

The JS-2 saw plenty of action during the final year of WW2, but the JS-3 arrived too late for the Eastern Offensive into Germany and were paraded in Berlin after Germany surrendered. They did see action however against the Japanese in Manchuria during 1945.

Hope that helps

:bandhead2:

MikeJ

I am so sorry you guys. Did you guys know the Model Master line Russian Armour Green is SEMI GLOSS and the Russian Topside Green is FLAT. Now I am even more confused on why a tank wold be painted Semi-Gloss on the battlefield. So did you guys know if the JS-2 was painted in Semi-Gloss? and would you still recommend Russian Armour Green? Would I use the same color for a T-34/85?

All things aside, what Green paint would you use if you was to paint a T-64 or T-72, basically the more modern Russian Tanks. Thanks again.

Absolutely

Rarely if ever that the gloss lasted long. Russian paint varied immensely during the war. There is no really true Russian Green as the various factories used their own shades of the standard colour.

ALL soviet armour of the WW2 period and beyond is Russian Green. Topside green is more a VVS colour.

You can flatten the semi gloss Modelmaster colour as part of weathering, use WE flat enamel or use a flat acrylic such as Vallejo. Hence;

1:72 dio using Vallejo acrylics.

italeri-js2-and-calibri-gaz67b-01.jpg

italeri-js2-and-calibri-gaz67b-13.jpg

italeri-js2-and-calibri-gaz67b-04.jpg

I strongly recommend against Model Master Russian Armor Green color. Its too dark in hue and nasty paint in quality. The variations of Russian WW2 greens is so great that you almost cant go wrong. Almost. But considering scale effect, weatherinig and bleaching of paint in the sun, MM Ru Armor Green is just too dark.

Edited by Zmey Smirnoff

Well that sucks because then I just wasted $8 CAN on 2 paints LOL. I will still try out the Russian Armour Green but the Topside Green will kind of go to waste.

I'm sorry I'm the type of guy who wants authenticity even though I'm a noobie. What model subject can I build using the Topside Green? VVS is the Soviet Air Force but most of their cool aircrafts are camo painted, which I don't think I'm ready for. So any ideas on what tank/plane I can build using Topside Green (flat)?

Julien did you model that Su-85? That's pretty nice. Is it Tamiya? And are those out of the box rubber tracks? See most of the paints you guys have listed is unavailable in my area. I can probably order them and Xtracrylic is reasonably priced. But since that so-called "9-11" happened ordering paint is soo restricted. So Model Master, Testors, Humbrol and White Ensigna is all I can get hold of.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a T50 AA that i painted with Model Masters Russian Green, of course it was tweeked a bit with a splash of white and a spot of yellow to Fade it a bit.

that looks very very good Graemeb. I wonder why everyone paints the T-34 tank soo rusty. Actually all Russian tanks everyone tends to paint some rust on it. but when you look at western tanks barely any rust on their tank. does that mean the russians over worked their tanks or their tanks just not rust proof. lol.

Roughly made with high production rates.

Some I heard went out in bare metal to protect the factories as they were being packed up and moved east.

Personally I dislike the current trend of modulation and over weathering.

Russian armour typically did not last long on the frontline so how do they get so paint fades, dirty and god forbid, rusty?