1/48 Academy Mig-21MF - EAF 70's

I finished the decalling of the mig, painted it with another coat of gunze gloss. Still some weathering ahead but it's getting close to done.

I had to print the number on the front of the airplane using lazertran decal sheet. it's not that smooth as the commercial decals but with some weathering effects it should do the trick.

I have added some more detail to the ladning gear using 0.5mm solder and all the other parts except the pitot tube are painted and ready to attach to the fuselage.

Fotografia0002.jpg

Fotografia0003.jpg

Fotografia0004.jpg

Edited by David Kalosi

I am almost done with the mig. Just need to add the pitot tube and the antennas, attach the canopy and it's all done :rolleyes:

Again lot of new experience and "first time" with this one, I have never made a model with that much resin and PE stuff not to speak about making decals and scratchbuilding.

Overall it was a very enjoyable build and I am quite happy with the result except that I f*cked up with the windscreen ... it's smeared from the inside :thumbsup:

here are a couple of not so good (a phone name that cannot be written :cheers:) pics, did not have any camera at home. I'll shoot the finished plane with a better camera once it's done.

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

Edited by David Kalosi
I'd put a wash over the missiles, too... but anyway a really fantastic looking model! :cheers:

I was thinking about it as well, but I just toned them with tamiya smoke. the missiles are nothing spectacular in an otherwise quite nice kit.

The rocket pods with PE parts would have looked better but I had to put on the missiles because of the subject I wanted to do ;)

Thank you everybody for the nice words :)

• 1 month later...

What colors did you use to make that beautiful camo paint job? I have had trouble getting color call outs for the Syrian MiG-21 that I am finishing up, so I might as well base it off of a fellow UAR-era bird!

Looks great!

Fotografia0276.jpg

Excellent build, David. Camouflage is simply superb! :wave: Only question, if I may, would be whut's wrong with the kit's spine and tail? In the picture above it seemed as though Quickboost's resin tail were a little bit warped towards the port side, especially the tip.

I really like Academy's 1/48th scale Fishbed MFs; I've got KP's kit and it's more than a pain in the arse in comparison... :thumbsup:

Cheers, mate!

Unc²

• 4 weeks later...
This really good.Do you think Lazertran is a good solution for home-made decals?

It did the job but I wasn't 100% satisfied with the result - the printer left a dark stain on the paper so it's not clear as the commercial decals.

What colors did you use to make that beautiful camo paint job? I have had trouble getting color call outs for the Syrian MiG-21 that I am finishing up, so I might as well base it off of a fellow UAR-era bird!

Looks great!

thanks ;) !!! I will have to look for the colours once I am at home will post it soon

Excellent build, David. Camouflage is simply superb! :rofl: Only question, if I may, would be whut's wrong with the kit's spine and tail? In the picture above it seemed as though Quickboost's resin tail were a little bit warped towards the port side, especially the tip.

I really like Academy's 1/48th scale Fishbed MFs; I've got KP's kit and it's more than a pain in the arse in comparison... ;)

Cheers, mate!

Unc²

The kit spine is a lot thicker than the quick boost, it's more a bis spine than an MF spine

thanks everybody for the kind words