Your favorite prop

My pick is probably not that unique. I just built a Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire Mk. Vb Trop and sitting next to my other planes its the hands down winner. I'm really more of a twins fan though and theres a lot of those I like. The Mosquito, which I'll be buying in 1/24 as soon as Airfix comes out with it. The P-38, no explanation necessary. The He 219, got the kit which I've yet to build.

no one would guess..... but I like Skyraiders ( :cheers: ) - and my favorite kit is of course the Tamiya boxing of the H and J versions - though I specifically prefer the J!

(I read the book The A-1 Skyraider: The Flying Dumptruck as a kid, and the A-1 has had a special place in my heart ever since....wish I still had the book :thumbsup: )

Have you tried doing a search on Amazon or Alibris?

Matt :cheers:

Ok, I'm probably going to be the only one here, but mine is the venerable AT-6/SNJ Texan. I don't care what U.S. aircraft of WWII you can think of, just about every pilot, ace, or pudknocker who flew in the European, Mediterranean, or Pacific theater cut his teeth on the ole girl before climbing into the cockpit of that P-51, P-47, F4U or whatever.

Favorite kit? Well, while I have the Italeri/Occidental -5 kit, I haven't built it. However, I built the Monogram kit several years ago for a museum build and was quite happy with it. Sure wish that someone would come out with a 1/32nd scale kit (of course along with a really good PT-17 in both 1/48th and 1/32nd.

Stew

Ah, OK, the C-130J-30. Got it!

Two Italeri kits, then. :wave:

I seem to recall that the 1/72 kit included instructions on how to do the bash using the fuselage from a second kit. Didn't look all that hard to do.

There is not enough strait fuselage to make the needed parts out of a second bird. If I recall right the Italeri kit in 1/72 "not sure about the 1/48," had the front of the tail to far forward, so cutting right at the door section to extend the back was a pain. This is going back a few years, but do think I recall messing with the tail.

If the new C-130J boxing has info in the instructions, I sure would like to see it, I had the old boxing of the kit.

I'm working a L-100-30 and I stretched the forward fuselage using 2 kits (48th scale) and I did cut the aft fuselage just aft of the troop doors. When I get ready to mate the front to back I will put a bunch of thick strips to get the right amount of aft stretch (80 inches) and then skin it like a real airplane with sheet plastic...and sand'er out. Doing it like that I can't open the backend but I've got enough time in a C-130 cargo compartment I know what's in there!! :wave:

I'm working a L-100-30 and I stretched the forward fuselage using 2 kits (48th scale) and I did cut the aft fuselage just aft of the troop doors. When I get ready to mate the front to back I will put a bunch of thick strips to get the right amount of aft stretch (80 inches) and then skin it like a real airplane with sheet plastic...and sand'er out. Doing it like that I can't open the backend but I've got enough time in a C-130 cargo compartment I know what's in there!! :rolleyes:

What are you going to do about the Horrible incorrect Engine nacelles. I know a company in england makes accurate 1/72 scale Nacelles and Props. Is there a company that makes it in 1/48 scale?

Also do you have a ron's resin kit to extend the sponsons? actually someone needs to make a kit with the correct sponsons for the Port side and the starboard side in the Ron's resin is the correct shape.

There is a company in australia that makes the correct port and starboard sponsons in 1/72 scale.

That's just a few things you have to fix.

Good Luck

S-

Ok, I'm probably going to be the only one here, but mine is the venerable AT-6/SNJ Texan. I don't care what U.S. aircraft of WWII you can think of, just about every pilot, ace, or pudknocker who flew in the European, Mediterranean, or Pacific theater cut his teeth on the ole girl before climbing into the cockpit of that P-51, P-47, F4U or whatever.

Favorite kit? Well, while I have the Italeri/Occidental -5 kit, I haven't built it. However, I built the Monogram kit several years ago for a museum build and was quite happy with it. Sure wish that someone would come out with a 1/32nd scale kit (of course along with a really good PT-17 in both 1/48th and 1/32nd.

Stew

Whoa, what a pick. I guess if you are at the level of building for museums you get tired of all the usual suspects. I think most people do though. I'm no where near that level, I may never be, my hands are really shaky and they don't seem to improve with practice, but I'm getting there, I just avoid the small models. I like 1/24 and 1/32 and if the plane is big enough I'll do 1/48. You seem to be pretty knowledgeable so thanks for answering most of my posts.

Favorite props of all time - P-61B Black Widow, followed closely by the Hurricanes, and a close third being the FW-190A/F's.

Favorite prop kit of all time - hard to say... this 1/24 Stuka is great, but... favorite prop kit has to be the Monogram 1/48 B-17G... built 3 of them in the last few months and each time she's just as much fun as the first.

Mark.

Here we go, state your favorite prop and your favorite kit for it.

Dehavilland Dove/Devon Watched these as they landed and took off from RAF Northolt I have the Vacform kit but have not started it yet, shame that a kit manufacturer has not made it although I know their is a resin kit but to pricey

P-3 Orion - Hasegawa 1/72 kit

C-130J Hercules - Italeri 1/72 - Even with its issues (since all other C-130 kits are now OOP)

... and yes I have corrected engines, landing gear sponson update set and the Flightpath fuselage extensions to make a -30

Edited by Trojan Thunder

My favorite plane has almost always been the P-39 since it just looks so cool and different from the other WW2 types out there. That 37mm cannon can certainly do some damage if you hit something with it (which takes skill to master aiming the thing, especially at a fighter). My favorite kit of it would have to be the Hasegawa 1/48 kit as it practically falls together as long as you clamp the fuselage halves tight enough during construction to ensure the wing joints don't get messed up in the process (the tolerances are tight, but if you do this, the wing fits beautifully).

39done2.jpg

39done1.jpg