Gosh, if you asked me a year ago I would say Hasegawa Phantom 1/48th, but I really like the Hasegawa F-14 1/48th even though it has some issues. Another sleeper that I really like is the Tamiya Corsair. With the wing-fold and the easy assembly, it is very sweet!

Favorate plane AND kit is a difficult topic, mainly because while I have favorite planes, each kit has its own pros and cons.

I would say in my case the only thing that comes close is the F-14 Tomcat with the 1/48 Academy F-14 Bombcat being my favorite kit of it. It might not be as technically accurate in shape and features as the Hasegawa one, but to me it builds MUCH easier and the fixes are pretty easy with a little TLC, some kit bashing with Revell bits or some resin from Steel Beach. The Revell/Monogram offering might get slightly higher marks in the accuracy deparment as well, but the tooling before its recent improvement for the B and D models was really showing its age.

As for why I like the Academy kit, it is a real swiss army knife in terms of features offered in the box as one can build an early air superiority F-14A from it with Sidewinder, Sparrow and Phoenix loadout (with a two grill gun gas vent) or a late period F-14A Bombcat with LANTIRN and some nice bombs on it. Combine it with some Steel Beach resin and/or Revell (older kit) bits and Bs and Ds are easily possible from the same kit for not a lot of money. Best part is resin designed for the Monogram kit will fit the Academy kit pretty easily.

Favorate plane AND kit is a difficult topic, mainly because while I have favorite planes, each kit has its own pros and cons.

I would say in my case the only thing that comes close is the F-14 Tomcat with the 1/48 Academy F-14 Bombcat being my favorite kit of it. It might not be as technically accurate in shape and features as the Hasegawa one, but to me it builds MUCH easier and the fixes are pretty easy with a little TLC, some kit bashing with Revell bits or some resin from Steel Beach. The Revell/Monogram offering might get slightly higher marks in the accuracy deparment as well, but the tooling before its recent improvement for the B and D models was really showing its age.

As for why I like the Academy kit, it is a real swiss army knife in terms of features offered in the box as one can build an early air superiority F-14A from it with Sidewinder, Sparrow and Phoenix loadout (with a two grill gun gas vent) or a late period F-14A Bombcat with LANTIRN and some nice bombs on it. Combine it with some Steel Beach resin and/or Revell (older kit) bits and Bs and Ds are easily possible from the same kit for not a lot of money. Best part is resin designed for the Monogram kit will fit the Academy kit pretty easily.

I'm with you Jay! Academy F-14 Bombcat. I recently built a B and a D out of Academy Bombcats and spent a total of about 15 bucks for extra parts.

This is hard.

Monogram F-100, I guess. Maybe the Academy F-111s.

The Hasegawa F-86s or -104s are the more rational choices.

Being a bit imaginative, the Eduard Mig-23.

I'm keen to see an Eduard Phantom, I'd sure like to see the 'gawa monopoly on that airframe broken up.

Edited by Irving Babbitt

I haven't even posted my own yet so here we go. I think the F-86 is one pretty plane. I see a lot of votes for the F-100 and 104, but there's something about the F-86. It reminds me of a muscle car. The Su-34 I like too, it would be my top pick if it weren't for that "handle" sticking out of the back. I'm still waiting for some large scale kits for these. So many great birds to choose from.

Sorry- for me it's a tie.

Favorite Jet(s):

F-14 Tomcat and the F-15 Eagle

Favorite kit of each:

1/48 Hasegawa F-14A/B/D (once I figured out the pitfalls)

1/48 Revell F-15E (sooooo easy to make a GREAT model)

Wouldn't it be nice if Revell made a 1/32 scale F-15E kit based on the 1/48 mold? I'd buy several!

Ditto on the F-15E kit. Pure joy. Only needed bombs. Gary

1/32 Tamiya F-14, because its the only kit that looks like a real Tomcat when you finally fix all the problems.

1/32 Tamiya F-16, to re-gain my confidence after a tough F-14 build.

1/32 Academy F-18, as above.

1/32 Tamiya F-4, to bring me back down to earth after a couple of easy F-16 and F-18 builds.